"Sensitive" places restrictions on wear and carry currently that should not be.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gravedigger

Dec 25, 2014
    The law says if there are no Federal employees in the facility it is legal to carry, meaning if they are contractors it’s ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you are in Maryland you can’t on federal park property occupied or not.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you are in Maryland you can’t on federal park property occupied or not.

Wrong.MSI Pres has confirmed MD has no prohibition on carry in Federal parks. Only MD parks

Fed law follows the law of the state the park is in. MD allows carry ergo its legal in Fed Parks.

MD goes a step further and bans carry in state parks. Doesn’t mean Fed carry is illegal

Tell him he’s wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Is there a restriction on being armed while visiting someone residing in an assisted living facility?
    My dad(wearin' a sh!t eatin' grin) pointed out the "Firearms Strictly Forbidden" sign in the elevator of a local hospital recently... :innocent0
    Concealed is concealed... as someone else said. Just sayin...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IANAL but I believe that you can carry in a Federal Park as long as you have a carry permit for the state that the federal park is located in. You can't go in the Ranger Station, bath house/bath room and tourist centers since they are considerd Federal buildings. Federal Parks are not listed in the 13 places you can't carry even with a carry permit with a Maryland permit. The dredge boat section comes from the osyter wars that started in the 1880's and continue in someway today.

Directly from the MSP website:

Where are Firearms Prohibited?​

Restriction on the wear, carry and transport of handguns and firearms in certain places appear throughout Maryland law and regulations. Below are statutes and regulations detailing the handgun and firearm restrictions. This list should not be considered all-inclusive.
    1. On school property (CR 4-102)

2. Within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place (CR 4-208)

3. In legislative buildings (SG 2-1702)

4. Aboard aircraft (TR 5-1008)

5. In lodging establishments where the innkeeper reasonably believes individuals possess property that may be dangerous to other individuals, such as firearms or explosives (BR 15-203)

6. On dredge boats, other than two 10 gauge shotguns (NR 4-1013)

7. In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds (COMAR 04.05.01.03)

8. On Chesapeake Forest Lands (COMAR 08.01.07.14)

9. In State Forests (COMAR 08.07.01.04)

10. In State Parks (COMAR 08.07.06.04)

11. In State Highway Rest Areas, unless properly secured within vehicle (COMAR 11.04.07.12)

12. In community adult rehabilitation centers (COMAR 12.02.03.10)

13. In child care centers, except for small centers located in residences (COMAR 13A.16.10.04)

MSP's website is not a comprehensive list. So don't rely on it.

Per Gravedigger's post above, Federal regulations allow firearms in federal parks and forests in states where state law allows firearms in state parks and forests.

A state cannot ban firearms on Federal land, so there would be NO state law that says guns are banned on any federal property. The feds are supreme in this respect. But federal law says that if guns aren't allowed in state parks in that state, then they are not allowed in federal parks within the boundaries of that state.

So in Maryland, guns are not allowed in federal parks. The EXCEPTION is since guns are allowed in state parks for hunting, and for non-hunting reasons a firearm may be transported THROUGH a state park or forest under certain conditions (in a vehicle following other relevant natural resources laws and handgun transport laws) or may be carried on your person unloaded and either cased or the action open. Thus you can do the same for federal parks. Check the C&O canal lands regulations on firearms, it is specifically stated that firearms are banned, BUT you may transport a firearm across the canal lands if unloaded and action open. For instance if hunting Greenridge state park and you enter the federal canal lands, you may transit them with the firearm unloaded and action open. For instance if you REALLY wanted to, you could legally go park at Paw Paw tunnel, get your unloaded and open hunting rifle out of the trunk of your car and go hike up in to Greenridge from there to go deer hunting. Cart or drag the deer all the way back out to your car/truck with your rifle.

From COMAR http://mdrules.elaws.us/comar/08.07.01.04

B. Except as provided in § C and D of this regulation, possession or use of weapons or firearms by an individual other than a law enforcement officer is prohibited in all State forests.

C. Target shooting is permitted only at designated shooting ranges. The regulations governing the use of these ranges shall be posted and strictly observed.

D. Except when legally hunting or legally target shooting, an individual may not discharge a firearm on land or waters owned or controlled by the Service.

E. Firearms shall be unloaded, and arrows kept in a quiver or case, when in a State forest campsite.
    is this true or just the internet ?
    VA does not recognize MD’s permit last I checked (which was this morning). They recognize many permits including Utah and Florida. Both of which seem to be the most recognized. That it matters in most of the US as 25 are constitutional carry (24 that includes non-residents in constitutional carry). So if you are a NON-resident getting a Utah or Florida non-resident permit adds about 7-8 states you can carry in. If you had a UT or FL resident permit it would add like 10-12 states.

North Carolina is the only state that currently recognizes MD’s W&C permit that isn’t constitutional carry already near as I can tell. Now a MD W&C permit does mean you can go pay $20 for a PA non-resident permit. Which is excellent news. Since PA will only give non-resident permits to people who hold a valid RESIDENT permit from their home state.

That’ll be the first thing I do if/when I get my Max W&C permit. Then probably apply for a Florida permit.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Per Gravedigger's post above, Federal regulations allow firearms in federal parks and forests in states where state law allows firearms in state parks and forests.

A state cannot ban firearms on Federal land, so there would be NO state law that says guns are banned on any federal property. The feds are supreme in this respect. But federal law says that if guns aren't allowed in state parks in that state, then they are not allowed in federal parks within the boundaries of that state.

So in Maryland, guns are not allowed in federal parks. The EXCEPTION is since guns are allowed in state parks for hunting, and for non-hunting reasons a firearm may be transported THROUGH a state park or forest under certain conditions (in a vehicle following other relevant natural resources laws and handgun transport laws) or may be carried on your person unloaded and either cased or the action open. Thus you can do the same for federal parks. Check the C&O canal lands regulations on firearms, it is specifically stated that firearms are banned, BUT you may transport a firearm across the canal lands if unloaded and action open. For instance if hunting Greenridge state park and you enter the federal canal lands, you may transit them with the firearm unloaded and action open. For instance if you REALLY wanted to, you could legally go park at Paw Paw tunnel, get your unloaded and open hunting rifle out of the trunk of your car and go hike up in to Greenridge from there to go deer hunting. Cart or drag the deer all the way back out to your car/truck with your rifle.

B. Except as provided in § C and D of this regulation, possession or use of weapons or firearms by an individual other than a law enforcement officer is prohibited in all State forests.

C. Target shooting is permitted only at designated shooting ranges. The regulations governing the use of these ranges shall be posted and strictly observed.

D. Except when legally hunting or legally target shooting, an individual may not discharge a firearm on land or waters owned or controlled by the Service.

E. Firearms shall be unloaded, and arrows kept in a quiver or case, when in a State forest campsite.

VA does not recognize MD’s permit last I checked (which was this morning). They recognize many permits including Utah and Florida. Both of which seem to be the most recognized. That it matters in most of the US as 25 are constitutional carry (24 that includes non-residents in constitutional carry). So if you are a NON-resident getting a Utah or Florida non-resident permit adds about 7-8 states you can carry in. If you had a UT or FL resident permit it would add like 10-12 states.

North Carolina is the only state that currently recognizes MD’s W&C permit that isn’t constitutional carry already near as I can tell. Now a MD W&C permit does mean you can go pay $20 for a PA non-resident permit. Which is excellent news. Since PA will only give non-resident permits to people who hold a valid RESIDENT permit from their home state.

That’ll be the first thing I do if/when I get my Max W&C permit. Then probably apply for a Florida permit.
    Virginia actually does recognize MD permits.

Attachments

• D616B057-B78A-4E63-AD3D-FCF6DDD3019E.jpeg
      D616B057-B78A-4E63-AD3D-FCF6DDD3019E.jpeg
      180.3 KB · Views: 80

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012

And, while there was a time where it was not, the BW Parkway is GTG with a MD permit....

Just don’t loiter or take any quick exits if you get off on Rt. 32 in either direction. ;^)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

3e10f46b41697d445ae2fae49ebc45ed.jpg

(b) Protection of Right of Individuals To Bear Arms in System Units.—The Secretary shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm, including an assembled or functional firearm, in any System unit if—
    (1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and
    (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the System unit is located.

There is nothing in 54 USC 104906 that ties national parks to state park rules, just the state’s laws generally. So if one may legally carry a handgun in Maryland with their permit, they may do so in national parks, barring any other local limitations and those in 18 USC 930: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

Maryland’s limitations pertain to State parks and forests.

These guys had it right in another thread about this https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/firearms-in-national-parks.241151/

Note the carry apps do not cite their authorities when they make the claim that state park rules drive conduct in federal parks located within that state. USCCA doesn’t even list Maryland at all: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/other-federal-locations/

US LawShield interprets the above right, but claims national forests are off limits in MD. Technically they’re right because MD doesn’t have any national forests.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And, while there was a time where it was not, the BW Parkway is GTG with a MD permit....

Just don’t loiter or take any quick exits if you get off on Rt. 32 in either direction. ;^)

Also if you get off on the wrong exit, slowly drive up to the gate, explain your mistake and ask for directions/instructions. Don’t realize our mistake, throw it in reverse and try to pop a u-turn…

A number of years back some of my mother’s coworkers from out of town (she was a fed) took a wrong turn from BWI and got off on the wrong exit and did just that. They had a couple of guys run out if the woods with “scary guns” on top of a couple of armed guards from the security shack is the way I heard the story and got detained for about 2hrs to be interrogated and sort their stories, despite the federal employee IDs.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    The rest area is also bs. The law doesn’t say a thing about a public rest area. It’s just like a highway or side walk.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013

3e10f46b41697d445ae2fae49ebc45ed.jpg

There is nothing in 54 USC 104906 that ties national parks to state park rules, just the state’s laws generally. So if one may legally carry a handgun in Maryland with their permit, they may do so in national parks, barring any other local limitations and those in 18 USC 930: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

Maryland’s limitations pertain to State parks and forests.

These guys had it right in another thread about this https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/firearms-in-national-parks.241151/

Note the carry apps do not cite their authorities when they make the claim that state park rules drive conduct in federal parks located within that state. USCCA doesn’t even list Maryland at all: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/other-federal-locations/

US LawShield interprets the above right, but claims national forests are off limits in MD. Technically they’re right because MD doesn’t have any national forests.

Just for old times sake, correct. :) I was too lazy tonight to do the breakdown; thanks for doing it DC-W. It appears the crux of the confusion is the misperception that the state not allowing carry in state parks somehow applies to national parks. There is no code in state or fed. law that does that.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    If this bear is bold enough to cross into my backyard, then the chances of coming face to face with one in a state or national park are pretty good. I could allways yell “hey bear”’, but I’d rather not.

Attachments

• CE391C35-A5C2-4535-B643-ED6984634F02.jpeg
      CE391C35-A5C2-4535-B643-ED6984634F02.jpeg
      18.8 KB · Views: 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads