• ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I just got this from the National Association For Gun Rights on FB:

:mad54:

Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell may be cooking up a deal with Harry Reid to gut the Senate filibuster, clearing a path for gun control. Call McConnell's office RIGHT NOW at 202-224-2541 and DEMAND he not cut a deal with Reid that would gut the Senate filibuster. SHARE this with your friends.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I don't disagree, but there's nothing on their website about this so-called deal, and before over-reacting I'd prefer to hear about it from a more reliable source, such as the NRA-ILA or SAF

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Neither side wants to do away with the filabuster, because inevitably their side will be in the minority.

Reid is a rep of a very pro-gun district. He could certainly be considered an ally in the fight.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Neither side wants to do away with the filabuster, because inevitably their side will be in the minority.

Reid is a rep of a very pro-gun district. He could certainly be cinsidered an ally in the fight.

Mark my words he will sell us down the river like a lot of the Fudds have.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I hope not. Both sides have used it as a tool, but I think that the current crop of critters in DC are too shortsighted to care about future goals. Just wanted to pass it along.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Mark my words he will sell us down the river like a lot of the Fudds have.

WellI hope you are wrong. I wouldn't put it past him, but his last election was reallly close. Close enough that it would be foolish to alienate a large part of your constituency. At least one would hope, but I am sure his leadership position would be more of a value to him so it will be interesting.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Hopefully and maybe he is trying to force Reid's hand and get their vote on record prior to 2014 elections. The red state dem senators up for reelection would be forced to show their hand by either voting with Obama or with their constituents. So far Reid is saying the reason he will not bring it up is because the House will kill it. I hope anyway.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Doesn't matter what Mitch McConnell wants or does. The rule are adopted via a majority vote on the first day of the session. The Democrats can make this change with not a single vote from a GOP senator.

Right now, Reid wants to protect it for when/if the Democrats are again in the majority, but many of the newer Democratic senators want the change. The big problem with Reid's thinking is that the Democrats never used the frickin' thing the last few times they were in the minority.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    They have been discussing this since the november elections. Dems have the power right now and want to exploit it for more than simple votes for gun control. They want to ram rod a ton of laws through and any confirmation hearings that are presented. This is a much bigger deal than 2a. The dems aren't stupid and know exactly what they are doing with this. This is a big picture deal that is coming from POTUS also not just Ried

Mr H

Banana'd
    IMO, Reid knows that this is a self-defeating idea (someone is ALWAYS in the minority), and is floating it to see what kind of bargaining chip it might be.

If the Senate does away with the filibuster, it loses credibility as the deliberative body it was intended to be, and we move one step closer to ancient Rome...

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    I just got this from the National Association For Gun Rights on FB:

:mad54:

Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell may be cooking up a deal with Harry Reid to gut the Senate filibuster, clearing a path for gun control. Call McConnell's office RIGHT NOW at 202-224-2541 and DEMAND he not cut a deal with Reid that would gut the Senate filibuster. SHARE this with your friends.

The filibuster is a rule made by the Senate, so it can be ended by the Senate. There are no real filibusters anymore anyway. Besides, how would ending the filibuster pave the way for gun control when the GOP controls the House?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    That's at odds from what Mitch McConnell was reported to say just a day or two ago. He said he would kill Gun Control (to paraphrase).

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The ability to fillibuster is one of the things that separate the bodies. IMO, if a Senator wants to legislate by majority rule, they should run for a position in the House. A simple majority rule enacted would make it easier to push bills and nominees through.
    I was just passing along what I thought might be useful info.
    As an aside, I got this in an email from NAGR tonight:

Fwd: Republican negotiating with Harry Reid?‏

6:36 PM

Dudley Brown

To Christopher D

Dear Christopher ,

I'm worried Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell may be about to cut a deal with Harry Reid . . .

. . . that's why I need you to TAKE ACTION at once.

You see, Reid may still be just a few votes short of the 51 he needs to break Senate rules and use the “nuclear option” to destroy the Senate filibuster.

But if McConnell cuts a deal with Reid to deliver the votes he needs, he’ll have cleared a path for the passage of Barack Obama’s Gun Ban Plan.

Please CLICK HERE to send Mitch McConnell an email demanding he not cut a deal with Harry Reid to gut the Senate filibuster.

Thanks, in advance, for taking action.

-- Dudley

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom