• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    This, my friends, is very interesting. Pop-gunner, if you can possibly in any remote way, get more info on this and some pics as Ab_Normal has mentioned, would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm not going to divulge this man's identity and therefore cannot post any pictures I will point out that on the DPMS website they list Blackwater U.S.A. as one of the police departments who use their rifles. (when they became a police department is beyond me)
    I know DPMS spent a lot of time in Moyock NC doing R&D on their rifles with Blackwater armorers.

According to my friend the AR-10 is just too tight to run reliably in that sandy of an environment. I can personally attest to having an AR-10 slow down and start to jam while hunting in west TX long before the DPMS guns showed any problems. While I can certainly appreciate the accuracy of the AR-10 (which I think is less hit or miss than the DPMS) I think that accuracy comes at the cost of reliability in some environments.

For the difference in price between an AR-10 and a DPMS LR308 I would advise one to (roll the dice) with a DPMS LR308 and see what the accuracy potential is with the stock barrel and if it was not what you wanted simply put a Krieger barrel on the gun. I have done this twice and both times ended up with a stock barreled gun that is capable of MOA accuracy when I do my part from a bench.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh

Get what you pay for. Guns need tuned for sand. The EMc has a bolt with sand cuts to handle those enviroments. Even the legendary FAL required sand cuts to become the legend it is today.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thinking outside the box no one has talked about the Valmet 76 or Hunter. These are extremely accurate guns out of the box for the AK platform and certainly pass reliability criteria. I was lucky I got my Hunter for about $700. I am currently looking for fair priced .223, .243 and the ultra rare .30-06 to round out the collection.

Only downside is mags, while I keep nudging Keep Shooting to import some if you buy one make sure you get a decent supply with it as they are expensive ($150 to $250)

This one on Gun Broker is a very good deal if someone has the dough, the mags alone are worth $500 alone and there are bonus parts. Its killing me not to pick it up and squirrel away. Only downside is I dont see the original optics mount which is a very hard to come by item.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=204070434

P1010981.jpg

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think I've decided on a NM M1A and she'll just remain iron sighted and and in it's orginal stock until I can afford to "upgrade".

Thanks.

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    I have a budget built Saiga in .308 and it has really impressed me. It's very reliable and easy to clean and shoot. I think it may be the best bang for the buck for a .308 battle rifle.

It may not be in the same league as an AR-10 or a M-14, but with quality ammo it's fairly accurate.

Sirex