• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What are our options going to be for selling a C&R Handgun after Oct1?
    I have yet to use gunbroker and I wonder if the UPS facility in Burtonsville allows outgoing shipments or not. Another option was maybe taking it over the border to a gunshop and seeing if they'd consign or buy it.
    My thought is that the buyers for HG after OCT will be sparse for the next year or so as people get their HQL.

Thoughs?
    Ideas?

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I would think it would be the same as selling a C&R HG before Oct 1st.

If you have a C&R license and you're selling out of state on GB, you ship it. UPS will not allow shipments from satellite offices, you must ship the package from a primary depot.

If you're selling it in state, you abide by the state laws, just as you do now.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Most of the threads in discussion on other sections don't specifically talk about C&R.
    If its there, I have not found it yet.

I think my though is that the market for a C&R handgun (or any) will be reduced after OCT1 for quite a while because of the new HQL regulations. In other words, fewer people in state will be able to buy it from you because a small % of people will even have the HQL for some time to come (I predict). I have yet to sell anything I aquired so far, but If I buy something now, then learn about it, and then want to sell it because I found a better or more collectable one, I want to be able to move it without too much trouble. After Oct1 there is likely to be more trouble. I'll be eager to see what happens when someone wants to sell a C&R handgun and takes it to MSP barracks then they ask for HQL and no one knows the law. I'm not clear on how the MSP will be making HQL required for transfering a C&R handgun or not. I would rather meet someone at a MSP barracks than use Gunbroker.

You you see what my point is?

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I see your point. I don't think it's a big deal.

To be honest, I'd prefer to sell my C&R HGs out of state now, and that has nothing to do with Oct 1. Selling a C&R gun in-state, IMO, is already a PITA. If I can meet a fellow C&R holder in PA, VA or DE and sell, or sell and ship via GB or something like that, I'd do it 10 times over vs going to the MSP barracks and doing paperwork for a transfer.

After Oct 1st... same deal. I'll still prefer to sell my C&R HGs the same way.

If someone wants to purchase a HG after Oct 1 in MD, they will most likely go pickup a HQL before they inquire with you. If they aren't interested in getting a HQL, they aren't going to purchase a handgun in MD anyway.

If you're selling after Oct 1st and doing a transfer at the MSP Barracks, I'm sure MSP is going to look for a HQL from your buyer. Likewise if you put it on consignment in an area shop. I mean, aside form the HQL, how is this any different than what we do now?

If someone in MD wants to legally purchase a gun after Oct 1, they're going to get a HQL. I don't see a huge delay with meeting the qualifications and doing this...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I disagree that it won't be any issue because ALL handgun sales will come to a halt cause the HQL system in my opinion will not be available. The HQL will slow down sales by nature within the state because it is an additional process and new processes added to existing never make things faster. I see the point about it being easier to use gun broker. Are there neighboring state forums where I can advertise for local PA or VA buyers?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think the Law as written is Ambiguous but expect MSP will not treat it say any different

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Only when buying them from out of state. if you buy/sell one within the state the rules are the same as for any other handgun.
    This is not how the law is written, or so I recall from the last time I read it...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Only when buying them from out of state. if you buy/sell one within the state the rules are the same as for any other handgun.

Negative ghost rider, that statement is incorrect.

C&R is indeed a valid exemption in state from a C&R.

Need proof? I present to you, the proposed 77R for use after Oct 1: http://www.scribd.com/doc/157075461/77R-Part-1-p1-updated-7-20-13-1

Please note the new Section 1 for HQL.

Now, please not the list of exemptions in in section 1, pay particular attention to the last exemption for C&R.

Thus, no HQL needed to sell or purchase a C&R in MD, but you will still need to do the 77R.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is not how the law is written, or so I recall from the last time I read it...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Negative ghost rider, that statement is incorrect.

C&R is indeed a valid exemption in state from a C&R.

Need proof? I present to you, the proposed 77R for use after Oct 1: http://www.scribd.com/doc/157075461/77R-Part-1-p1-updated-7-20-13-1

Please note the new Section 1 for HQL.

Now, please not the list of exemptions in in section 1, pay particular attention to the last exemption for C&R.

Thus, no HQL needed to sell or purchase a C&R in MD, but you will still need to do the 77R.

I was wrong, I admit it. That makes twice now:o
    I went back and read the bill and they do carve out an exemption from the HQL for C&R handguns.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was wrong, I admit it. That makes twice now:o
    I went back and read the bill and they do carve out an exemption from the HQL for C&R handguns.

No biggy, even those of us that have worked through all of the versions of the legislation get it wrong on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom