Selling banned SB281 defined "assualt rifles" out of state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    There's a list of weapons. After the cut-off date, private citizens will no longer be able to TRANSFER (other than immediate family members)

My FFL told me different. I know its all confusion. He said that if you have it you keep it or transfer it out of state. There is no in state transfers even to immediate family of banned firearms after October 1. I brought up if one meets their maker what happens and he said it is unclear and didn't know.

Just info I got from my FFL don't know how true it is.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    1) Out of state transfers of banned firearms will have to go through an FFL in the byers home state. An MD FFL will not be able to sell them, even to an out of state person.

All out of state transfers have to go through an FFL now, and the buyer has to buy in person at the FFL place of business.

2) You could not buy and bring back a banned firearms into MD after Oct 1, even if Federal law allowed you to buy it. NO ONE can bring in a banned firearm that was purchased after Oct 1, 2013.

Same for the range use, if someone from DE came to Elk Neck range with a banned firearm that they purchased after Oct 1, 2013, they would be in violation of MD law.

This is basically correct. A grandfathered banned firearm must be sold out of state, via the transfer system provided in federal law for interstate transfers -- i.e., through an FFL in the buyer's state. One cannot sell one or give one to another Maryland resident, family member or otherwise. It can be transferred in Maryland by inheritance to any not-disqualified person, however. See my summary of SB 281, especially paragraph 6.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    My FFL told me different. I know its all confusion. He said that if you have it you keep it or transfer it out of state. There is no in state transfers even to immediate family of banned firearms after October 1. I brought up if one meets their maker what happens and he said it is unclear and didn't know.

Just info I got from my FFL don't know how true it is.

What your FFL told you is correct, except that the bill explicitly allows grandfathered "assault" or "copycat" firearms to be passed on by inheritance. This is not limited to heirs who are family members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom