• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Hey guys, looking to make room in my collection. The problem is I'm not sure if I can sell this FTF. It's 922r compliant (stock, handguard, gas piston, magazine [3 parts]) but i'm wondering if I can sell it FTF now that i've done those modifications since SKS W/ Detachable Magazine is on the Maryland Regulated list. That seems clean cut, but silly at the same time :sad20: Maryland.....

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    To be safe, No.
    I'd say reinstall the fixed 10rd mag, if you want to do a ftf.

Then it's not 922r. compliant anymore. Stuck between a rock and a hard place lol. I would just sell it in its original configuration but then I would have to redo the rivet that holds the handguard to the gastube. I have a spare rivet but it's still a pain :/

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you are talking about a true Type 63, which accepts standard AK (removable) mags, then it's regulated.

Any other SKS with duckbill mags is not regulated unless you've modified it to operate like a Type 63. However if you have a 20+ fixed box mag installed, the mag itself can't be transferred within the state of MD but the gun still can.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    If you are talking about a true Type 63, which accepts standard AK (truly removable) mags, then it's regulated.

Any other SKS with duckbill mags is not regulated unless you've modified it to operate like a Type 63. However if you have a 20+ fixed box mag installed, the mag itself can't be transferred within the state of MD but the gun still can.

Nah, if it was a type 63 I wouldn't be selling it lol. It accepts the duckbill mags. But don't the duckbills count as a "detachable magazine" thus putting it on the list?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I would leave the handguard on the gas tube and put the rest back. The handguard itself won't count as a compliance part. Then sell them as a package deal and let buyer put it back together, it's not like it's hard to do.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    If you are talking about a true Type 63, which accepts standard AK (removable) mags, then it's regulated.

Can someone claify this for me?

I thought that the MD law applies to high capacity dettachable magazines. If it is a fixed magazine and require a tool to remove, MD law does not apply.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys

I thought that the MD law applies to high capacity dettachable magazines. If it is a fixed magazine and require a tool to remove, MD law does not apply.

That's a good question. I'm not positive but pretty sure it applies to all magazines based on the wording. Thread jacker :P

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009

Maryland law doesn't distinguish between mag types except for tube-fed. Anything 20+ cannot be transferred between individuals while within state lines, doesn't matter if its .22 or a non-detachable mag.

So again, the gun is FTF as a modified SKS except if it has a 20+ mag in it. Remove the mag and it's still 922r compliant and eligible for FTF (without the mag).

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Maryland law doesn't distinguish between mag types except for tube-fed. Anything 20+ cannot be transferred between individuals while within state lines, doesn't matter if its .22 or a non-detachable mag.

So again, the gun is FTF as a modified SKS except if it has a 20+ mag in it. Remove the mag and it's still 922r compliant and eligible for FTF (without the mag).

Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I thought the MD law only pertained to dettachable magazine.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hey guys, looking to make room in my collection. The problem is I'm not sure if I can sell this FTF. It's 922r compliant (stock, handguard, gas piston, magazine [3 parts]) but i'm wondering if I can sell it FTF now that i've done those modifications since SKS W/ Detachable Magazine is on the Maryland Regulated list. That seems clean cut, but silly at the same time :sad20: Maryland.....

Sell it without a magazine... then it doesn't have a detachable mag. :lol2:

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Sell it without a magazine... then it doesn't have a detachable mag. :lol2:

I hate that i'm even having to mull over semantics between two idiotic rules. Namely 922r and having a "detachable mag". This whole topic feels retarded :sad20::o:banghead::facepalm::whack::deadhorse:

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington

The law doesn't mention anything about Type 63, it states "SKS with detachable magazine." I would interpret that to mean any SKS with detachable magazine is regulated, including Type 63 and the ones with duckbill mags that are detachable. Any cases in the past, where a judgement was made in this area? It may be worth checking with a lawyer.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    INot aware of any cases of an SKS with aftermarket mags being ruled as regulated, but you bring up a good point. The regulated list doesn't mention the Type 63 specifically, just SKSs with removable magazines.

I've never considered SKS mags to be readily removable. Did legislators mean SKS-looking rifles (Type 63) which had removable mags or true SKSs with aftermarket hi-cap mags (Tapcos didn't even exist when the law was written, to my knowledge)?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would think any SKS with a detach magazine is regulated. Rather it came from the factory that way or you modified it that way.

Magazine capacity or brand has nothing to do with it.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    The type 63 is not an sks period. It has a similar outward appearance but that is like saying a vz-58 is an ak-47 when they are clearly two different weapons. No parts on the type 63 will interchange with an sks.

The law was written because norinco and gunsmiths stateside modified sks's to take AK mags thus the reasoning why the sks is on the list as it is. The tapco mags are detachable from an sks and msp would consider them regulated because they can detach with ease.

Also the central feature around 922r is the detachable magazine. If you install the original 10 round mag it is no longer an "assault weapon" because it is limited to 10 rounds and non-detachable. I don't see what the big deal is selling it in state unless you don't want it in some database (that will no longer be your issue since it will no longer be yours). Take it to the msp barracks or regulated firearms ffl to do the transfer and be done with it. If worse comes to worse sell it on gunbroker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom