• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    bean93X and anyone.

I do not have any 9mm ammo yet, whether it be for wad cutter type or defense type. Also, I am new to 9mm guns and the ammo. So your advice will serve me well. I intend to get some defense loads like the HST 124gr and wad cutters for practice. Will I do best to keep my FMJ ammo the same grains etc as the defense?

Shopping for defensive ammo is usually a good reason to hit up a gun show for 50 round boxes of say Gold Dots. I think HSTs might all come in 50 round boxes but not sure. Point being if there is an option, the 50 round boxes will be a better deal.

For practice, I try to stick to 124 grain but don’t stress over 115s. For shooting at targets at self defense ranges, I don’t notice much different. You might though. I say go with 124 or 115s if you stumble on a good sale.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    People need to concentrate on shooting accuracy and not worry about what grain to shoot.

Get whatever the hell you want and shoot the stuff.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I run 158 gr. XTP handloads on my 38 (the most accurate load isn’t the fastest either). In my 9mms, I run Sierra Outdoor Master 147 gr. factory ammo (on sale at Midway a while back). Never had any issues with either.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Shopping for defensive ammo is usually a good reason to hit up a gun show for 50 round boxes of say Gold Dots. I think HSTs might all come in 50 round boxes but not sure. Point being if there is an option, the 50 round boxes will be a better deal.

For practice, I try to stick to 124 grain but don’t stress over 115s. For shooting at targets at self defense ranges, I don’t notice much different. You might though. I say go with 124 or 115s if you stumble on a good sale.

Have you been reading my mind ? :)
    People need to concentrate on shooting accuracy and not worry about what grain to shoot.

Almost what I often say .

Hits matter .

Particularly First Shot Hits matter , for the First Shot may well be the only shot . And the sooner you decisively persuade the Malfactor(s) to desist shooting at / slashing at / charging with a baseball bat , the better .

I'll include the slight caveat of use a Caliber vaguely suitable, with a load that doesn't totally suck . But in all the somewhat common defensive calibers , the difference between the 6 or 10 top " best " loads is marginal , and can be largely ignored .

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Thanks

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

As Blaster knows, my initial ammo purchases will be for target loads in 9mm to hone my accuracy to qualify for the live fire in W&C class. That will be unless I use my G23C that he already saw me shoot. I have plenty of ammo for that.

RR917

Jun 22, 2013
    Use critical defense/duty in the smaller pistols. The bullet comes to a more conical shape and feeds better with the steeper feed ramps.

In my experience.

The more open hollowpoints (gold dot/HST) that i have tried have not been as easy to feed and have also been more prone to deforming the cavity and bullet set back on the steep feed ramps.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    We had a good day then.
    Blaster229, you don't know how much I enjoyed and appreciated you guys sharing that day with me. I lost my long time buddy just after the election in 2020. I grew up with him since we were 12 years old. I used to shoot with him and shop for guns and supplies ever since we reconnected after College for me, and after he was married with 3 kids. After he was found drowned in Lake Redmond in PA, I hadn't shot anything until Randy and you treated me like an old pal.

Last edited:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I typically run HST’s in my edc pistols, but I did recently pick up some of this Norma monolithic HP’s just to see if they are decent or gimmicky. They were cheap-ish, so figured why not. Never seen or heard anyone personally give feedback on them, so stay tuned I guess :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpeg
      IMG_1778.jpeg
      171.2 KB · Views: 20

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm pleased that I've never had a hiccup with 124gr HST in my CZ carry pistols.

I make it a point to run defensive ammo in training classes; once I've put a couple hundred rounds of carry ammo thru a gun, I revert to range ammo for practice.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I typically run HST’s in my edc pistols, but I did recently pick up some of this Norma monolithic HP’s just to see if they are decent or gimmicky. They were cheap-ish, so figured why not. Never seen or heard anyone personally give feedback on them, so stay tuned I guess :thumbsup:
    I picked up some of that too--Feeds and goes bang ok--shoots where I point it--probably a gimmick but I wouldnt want to get hit with it

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Lucky Gunner has done some fairly comprehensive ammo testing for different calibers:

Not the "be-all/end-all," but a good place to start to eliminate offerings that may over or under penetrate or not expand well, in a nice 1-table summary format for each caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom