• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    I want to shorten the barrel (to 18.5") and the wooden stock of a Mossberg shotgun. I have never done this before and I don't have the tools (unless a standard jigsaw will work).

I am posting to here hoping to find someone who would let me come over and use their tools. If you've done this before, advice and supervision would be welcomed.

Thanks.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have shortened a couple of rifle stocks using a band saw. I clamped a piece on angle iron on the saw table as a guide, taped the stock and they turned out great. I don't think you would ever get a decent cut with a jig saw

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    I used a chop saw with a metal cutting blade for the barrel... used a stone file to smooth it out then blued the tip. Im sure you know someone with a chop saw... and a metal blade is $10. Ive heard of lots of people using band saws or a hacksaw but I cant imagine the cut would be as straight as with a chop saw. I researched this before I cut mine too... everyone seemed to be using a band saw but not sure why... its less common than a chop saw and harder to get a perfect cut.

Also make sure to look up the proper way to measure 18.5 inches of barrel...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I once had to salvage a shotgun barrel that somebody had hacked off crooked. I found a spade bit that was about the OD of the barrel. I then drilled a hole in a 2x4 and clamped the 2x4 in a vise, when I shoved the barrel through the hole it was snug and I had a perpendicular guide for my hacksaw. I dressed the cut with a small round file and hit it with cold blue. I then drilled and tapped the top of the barrel and stuck a brass bead on it. It turned out pretty nice.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    But they do cost ~$80.

True.

But you know it's done right.

Another thing to consider is, if you get your measurements wrong, then you've just made an illegal short-barreled shotgun, no bueno.

For me, the $80 spent on a factory 18.5" barrel, is worth it.

SteveFinMD

Mar 21, 2012
    Frederick County
    You might be able to sell the barrel that you have now for enough to buy the shorter one that you want...just a thought. Also, someone might be willing to trade you for it.

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    This is interesting...... would a pipe cutter work? Be just as straight...thoughts?
    Like a plumbing pipe cutter? I wouldnt recomend that... They are just for cutting through copper pipe which is much softer metal. Even if you could get it to cut through after a longg while I think it would leave a crimped edge on the inside.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Like a plumbing pipe cutter? I wouldnt recomend that... They are just for cutting through copper pipe which is much softer metal. Even if you could get it to cut through after a longg while I think it would leave a crimped edge on the inside.
    But it might work for scoring a guide line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom