• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • George Root

Dec 12, 2020
    Gambrills, MD 21054
    I am trying to increase the security of my traditional sliding glass Gun Cabinet. I have a couple long guns in a gun cabinet that is about 30 inches wide. I am considering mounting a metal plate on the inside of either side of the cabinet with tamper resistant wood screws. The metal plates each have a metal "staple" that accepts a pad lock. I plan to secure the 2 ends of a case hardened chain with similarly keyed padlocks to the plates on either side of the cabinet. Then I will run the chain (with felt cover) through the trigger guards of each gun to keep them from being easily removed from the cabinet without unlocking one of the pad locks. I do realize that this is a rather "Rube Goldberg" way to secure the guns, but does anyone see any actual technical or functional problems with this approach? Thanks, George

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am trying to increase the security of my traditional sliding glass Gun Cabinet. I have a couple long guns in a gun cabinet that is about 30 inches wide. I am considering mounting a metal plate on the inside of either side of the cabinet with tamper resistant wood screws. The metal plates each have a metal "staple" that accepts a pad lock. I plan to secure the 2 ends of a case hardened chain with similarly keyed padlocks to the plates on either side of the cabinet. Then I will run the chain (with felt cover) through the trigger guards of each gun to keep them from being easily removed from the cabinet without unlocking one of the pad locks. I do realize that this is a rather "Rube Goldberg" way to secure the guns, but does anyone see any actual technical or functional problems with this approach? Thanks, George
    Welcome, to the forum George Root.

BTW, I was not picking on you with the moat comment. I was joking around with Sundazes.

Carter McCoy

High Standard K-1200
    Jul 7, 2020
    Crofton
    I have a similar situation but I bought three large heavy duty Cable Locks from Lowes or Home Depot and tangled them all together. Sure, the determined individual can get thru them, but it would be a bit of a hassle.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Especially if you're talking "a couple of guns? None of which you require for immediate access?

Some folks take a somewhat different approach of creating an obviously non-functional firearm. You can pull the bolts or BCG's, or in some instances a trigger group, and store those seperately.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I strongly prefer the security through hiding, like a tactical walls mirror, shelf, or night stand. But, yeah, if you are concerned about security, a proper safe is the only way (note, unless you are getting something like a Liberty, the run of the mill BassPro safes are pretty easy for a skilled criminal to get in to....

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    If you are wearing your N95 mask all the time to prevent Monkey Pox, it won't be a problem....
    the monkeypox mask crap reminds me of that old joke. a dude see a couple polacks shooting herion. The dude says you can catch diseases by sharing needles. The one druggie said Nah, we are wearing rubbers. smh.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    There are tons of videos of people using digging bars to break into very good safes. If it’s bolted to the floor and the non hinge side is against the wall it becomes about impossible. The glass case can be made much more secure if your handy with metal. If it’s easy to make it’ll be easy to break.

Variably1913

May 24, 2022
    Baltimore
    Especially if you're talking "a couple of guns? None of which you require for immediate access?

Some folks take a somewhat different approach of creating an obviously non-functional firearm. You can pull the bolts or BCG's, or in some instances a trigger group, and store those seperately.

Doesn't solve the theft problem though. I find it unlikely the thief will be checking for the bcg during a smash and grab.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Doesn't solve the theft problem though. I find it unlikely the thief will be checking for the bcg during a smash and grab.

True. Plus side is that, noticed or not noticed, thief won't be using firearm quickly either, now will he?

Nothing is going to be ideal regarding security , especially in starting with a glass display case.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Distribution is denial

Locks keep honest folk honest

Boxes are for opening…sooner or later

When you have stuff, you’re vulnerable

When you care about somebody, you’re even more vulnerable

Determined folks can and will turn your stuff into their stuff

Regardless of how much steel you use you're still bolting it into wood. A couple of good kicks and your cabinet is open and your guns are gone. They can worry about cutting the cable and removing the steel when they get where they're going.. even the best hardened metal safe is it foolproof but I would never put my firearms in one of those old style display racks. Not in today's environment

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Just put a bunch of rank file stuff like marlin, ruger henry 22's maybe an 870 or 500 and old break action or rusty muzzle-loader and let them be concerned about that sort of junk. Some other odd ball stuff for bait.
    A safe even a good one, just buys time. a smrgasboard of easy to replace artifacts or all they can carry.
    How long your old lady can hold out before she takes on the robbers against herself or opens the door is what you need to really worry about.
    Smash and grab punks probably wont walk by it and an experienced crook that has a plan that probably includes some sort of torture if they know what they're really after.
    And it will be the guns, time, and information for how long they can stick around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom