• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Question for members who routinely keep longarms in their vehicles - what methods do you use to secure those firearms?

With a few high-priced and/or excessively bulky exceptions, most of the products I've come across don't seem to afford much beyond casual deterrence.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Poor idea to "store" any gun in a vehicle for an extended period. If you must, then bolt it down or chain it to the vehicle as best you can. And, consider making the piece inert while it is there.

Be safe in these uncertain times!

Lew--Ranger63
    Survivor
    Korea '64, Vietnam '66-67, Vietnam II '69-70, Germany '74-77

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    The best thing in that video was the statement about the relationship between access and security. Mine's kept in a locked box, but not also chained (box is secured to the truck obviously). It could be pried open fairly easily given enough time and opportunity, but it's highly likely that would set off the alarm. I also usually don't leave it in the truck overnight unless I'm traveling.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have a shotgun in my truck all winter long (not a "cheap" one either).

Soft case, behind the seat, truck locked when not at home or business.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    If someone knows there's a firearm in your vehicle but can't easily remove it, they'll just steal your vehicle and get the firearm out at a later time. Not at all saying it is a bad idea or to not bother to secure the rifle/shotgun but that realistically there's only so much you can do.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

I wanted to tap into the community's collective knowledge, to find out what other members have seen or used to keep their truck/car guns safe.

Understanding that a vehicle is inherently insecure, because of its public nature, easily-breached construction, and the fact that someone could literally drive off with it. With that being said, I'd still like to find something that affords more security than just simple concealment, a rack, or a chain/cable.

I figured that it'd be pretty easy to find a company that makes the equivalent of a Pelican 1720, but out of 10+ gauge steel, and with the ability to bolt down from the inside.

Unfortunately, though, from what I can tell so far, that seems to be somewhat of a unicorn.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is a certain base level of risk , in terms of thieves who would steal the whole vehicle , for the vehicle itself , & any objects inside would be surprise after the fact bonous.

Not withstanding that , out of sight, out of mind is primary defense. Fairly good lock/ safe will probably deter a random smash & grab thief, at the expense of quickish acess. A moderately determined thief who knows it's there will either bring tools, tale whole vehicle, or both.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    One answer is to choose a truck gun that's cheap enough that you wouldn't mind losing it. I've got a Marlin .30-30 that cost me $250; a buddy got a Mossberg 500 for $200. Neither is pretty but they work just fine. And if somebody steals them it's not the end of the world. Fixing the broken window will cost more then replacing the gun. I'm more concerned that they might steal the truck that costs $30K+ to replace. Of course, at that point it's the insurance company's issue.

Seriously, it's hard to make a vehicle secure unless you're armed and stay with it. I just cover the gun up and try not to park in sketchy areas.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Most car burglaries take 60seconds or less. Car burglars dont usually come with a set of circular lock picks or power tools. Any metal box or a shotgun lock will do. Corrosion is going to get your gun before a burglar does.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Along this theme, a gun "carried" in a vehicle is not put & forget, or equiv to storing at home. Plan on the same maintiance and preservation as if carried on your person outdoors in the weather.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In a truck, a custom built wooden box behind the seats would be good. Designed to snugly fit that space and low enough to look like the original floorboard to an untrained eye.

Covered in carpeting that looks very much like the original carpeting. Out of sight. Out of mind. As was mentioned by Rack, run a cable around each seat mount and connect to each end of the box.

Don't know what the style of lock is called, but the kind used for tool box drawers, lock boxes, and filing cabinets with that little bar that swings into place.

Maybe a separate and small piece of carpet Velcroed across the lock face. Just rip it off for access to the lock. When done, it will resemble the interior of the truck and no thief would give it a second look.

Dec 31, 2012
    Might as well disassemble it and keep it in a smaller box so that it looks less like a gun case. A truck gun in a locked box is not quick access to begin with so the disassembled version doesn't add too much time. I presume you want a truck gun for those situations (riot, terrorist episode in area, etc..) where you have a little bit of fore warning to get ready, so disassembled is not a deal breaker and may make it easier to hide.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    NOTHING is ever "secure" in any vehicle...

That said ... A small folder such as a SUB2000 or SU16, would be optimally the best in consideration for the task. The size and convenience of being folded for storage. And the ability to unfold and make them ready for service quickly, makes these and others like them, a more suitable and concealable option. Either can be placed in a bag or case behind the seat of most pickup trucks or under the seat of most SUVs.

And the case/bag can be carried in and out of the house without raising any suspicion or prying eyes from the neighbor's, who need not know about it.

WARNING:
    • Things carried in trucks and cars are NOT secure.
    • Things carried in trucks and cars are subject to wear caused by vibration.
    --- Regular inspections and cleaning is paramount to reliability.
    • Rotating ammunition is also a must.
    --- Bullets tend to move in or out of casings when subjected to vibration. That can cause a hazard to the shooter. The ammunition may not be reliable when it is needed.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I considered an 18" double barrel 12 gauge I have that fits inside a 19" hip-roof toolbox like this one when broken down.

Attachments

• 151289881068_1.jpg
      151289881068_1.jpg
      4.5 KB · Views: 164
    • S2853a__60110.jpg
      S2853a__60110.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 159

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    IMO the best thing you can do is to keep the inside of your vehicle as clean, and clear of clutter as possible. If at a glance a burglar sees ANY "stuff" in your car they may look twice. I have many friends that have had their cars broken into in Baltimore, and they all kick themselves for leaving stuff in the car that tempted the perp. Others that consciously keep the inside of their cars clean rarely have any issue.
    However this practice won't deter a car thief, just the smash and grabbers.

I have an open cab SUV and you would never know that I have a Sub2000 in a soft case folded up under the floor mat. Even looking into the open window/door you can't tell.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Another vote for the sub 2K. I've been through a few truck guns. My philosophy has shifted. This one seems perfect for it. It rides in a small backpack hanging across the back of the front seat. It comes with me when I leave the truck.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I considered an 18" double barrel 12 gauge I have that fits inside a 19" hip-roof toolbox like this one when broken down.

I'd have to say that in the modern age I would never rely on a 2-shot firearm.

And, that is 2 shots AFTER you assemble it.

That coach gun was high tech on a stage coach. Today, not so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      120.3 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads