• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    My friend was handed down the aforementioned shotgun from his grandfather. I found a video on YouTube on how to take down a Winchester 1400, and got stuck pretty early on in the process. After removing the pin in the receiver, you're supposed to be able to remove the entire trigger group. Only problem is, it won't come out. The rear will flex and come out a fraction of an inch, but it seems to be stuck/fixed in front of the trigger guard, as shown below.

Worse yet, there's a wire - I'm guessing the end of a torsion spring or something - that is now obstructing the hole in the receiver to put the pin back in. Hopefully that's at least somewhat visible in the other pic below. So now, the shotgun is in limbo, where it can be neither assembled nor disassembled beyond its current state.

FWIW, one can cycle the action and drop the hammer, and all seems to still be functioning normally, as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts on what the problem is or what can be done? Is this gonna have to be taken to a gunsmith?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMAG0093.jpg
      IMAG0093.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 3,264
    • IMAG0094.jpg
      IMAG0094.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 3,081

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Sometimes if you call Jack at Jack's Gun Works in Havre De Grace he'll try to talk you through stuff before making you come in with it and pay. At least he has for me in the past.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I've had a couple pumps where the receiver seems to compress on the trigger group... Try using a little "gentle force" to pull the trigger group out..... Maybe try to "open" the receiver with some gentle force....

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Try the following:

* Unlock the bolt (pull the slide back 1/2") and then try
    * Disengage the saftey and then try
    * Push the carrier up while pulling the assembly down

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but still no luck unfortunately... I've been so busy with work since I posted this though, that I haven't really had more than about a minute to look at it, so I guess we'll see...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    My first gun I owned was a Winchester 1400. I still have mine. The 1400's are semi autos, the 1300's are pumps.

Im not sure if I still have my owners manual or not. I got mine back in the 80's.

If I find something, Ill post it, but dont hold your breath on it.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a Winchester 1500 at home, which is just a cosmetically souped up version of the 1400. I've got the manual too. I've never had any issue disassembling mine. I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight and see if I can diagnose your problem.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Never could get it disassembled, but we managed to push the wire back out of the way and get the pin back in the receiver. It seems to be functioning okay... we'll probably be taking it out to public trap & AGC tomorrow.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Ethan, I got my 1500 apart and noticed a few things:

1. The wire you saw was probably the trigger return spring. I think it's supposed to engage the groove on the takedown pin, but in your pic it looks like it rode up too far. If you put the pin in from the left side, it should knock it back into place.

2. Make sure that your feed gate is moving freely and that your bolt is closed. When I popped my trigger assembly out my bolt was back and it went flying forward. It could be getting hung up on something on yours.

3. The manual has two troubleshooting procedures for "TRIGGER FAILS TO PULL OFF". I think these would address your problem, but they're gunsmithing-type instructions. PM me if you're still having issues and I'll E-mail you a copy of this section.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom