• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The tool should be hollow ground so as not to mar the screw. Also it must fit correctly.

Check Amazon. It's out of stock anyway and a bit pricey for casual gunsmithing,me hen you have a business it's a write off.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    My goal is to be a professional gunsmith one day and want to buy quality but not overspend on stuff I probably will never need. My experience with tool sets in general are they throw a lot of junk in a set to add to the piece count.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I purchased a set of quality usa made Grace rollpins and the difference in the metal between the cheaper ones were drastic. I bought more Grace tools thereafter. Look into those.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    One problem with buying cheap tools. If they break or don't work properly...You may end up screwing up a very expensive gun. Think on that.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Would this be a good screwdriver set for gunsmithing or would most of these bits not get used? Does anyone have a better set they would recommend? My goal is to buy one end-all, be-all set and not have to worry about it again.

http://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-080-000-532&gclid=CPeYzIr9gswCFYsmhgodN34F6A

I've got a Brownells set with about as many bits (maybe an earlier model?). All I can say is if you intend to work on anything old/new foreign/domestic eventually you are going to run into a need for more than "home" gunsmithing screwdriver set. Unless you want to risk buggering up something.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Given my experience is with ARs and pistols, besides a few allen screws I cannot see a need for that many bits at one time. Also unless the bits are held in with tight friction fit and or magnets it is not worth it in my opinion.

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    Would this be a good screwdriver set for gunsmithing or would most of these bits not get used? Does anyone have a better set they would recommend? My goal is to buy one end-all, be-all set and not have to worry about it again.

http://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-080-000-532&gclid=CPeYzIr9gswCFYsmhgodN34F6A

Hello
    Take a look at MidwayUSA. They sell an excellent Wheeler 89 piece set that is currently on sale for $59.99 and a smaller Wheeler set of 43 pieces for $29.99. I have the 89 piece set and it is nicely made and has served me well for a number of years. Keep in mind that there are duplicates of many of the bits included in a set, in case you break or lose one, so you aren't getting, for example, 89 unique pieces in the Wheeler set.
    Cheers!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ^this. I have the 89pc Wheeler set and the bits are quite good (and I am a tool snob/hoarder of the highest order.) The magnets in the handles suck so I got some Brownells handles. Their magnets are pretty decent.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...professional-plus-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set
    http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-89-Piece-Deluxe-Gunsmithing-Screwdriver/dp/B001C63M7O

FWIW, I read some of the Wheeler sets weren't hardened right once upon a time but I tested mine and they all seemed to measure reasonable numbers.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The wheeler set is not bad but the bits dont come close to brownells. Wheeler bits break easier and they rust if not constantly kept in a temp controlled area.

Brownells could be dropped in saltwater and probably never rust. If you break a brownells bit, they replace them for free.

The wheeler is rather incomplete. I still had to buy supplime tal allen and torx bits to make a complete kit.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I was given the big Wheeler set and it's pretty good but there are a few Brownells bits I use for specific screws.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    The wheeler set is not bad but the bits dont come close to brownells. Wheeler bits break easier and they rust if not constantly kept in a temp controlled area.

Brownells could be dropped in saltwater and probably never rust. If you break a brownells bit, they replace them for free.

The wheeler is rather incomplete. I still had to buy supplime tal allen and torx bits to make a complete kit.

I appreciate the advice !

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    I've had the bad experience of trying to find the "too good to be true" deal. My advice...go with a bit higher price for something with glowing reviews and reputation for being high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom