• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    New to me several months ago Police Magnum from Sportsman's Warehouse took a scrape. Looks like a stroke on a ferro stick. One day maybe I'll get the whole shebang refinished but in the interim what can/should I do. Is there any way to blend a scrape? I found info on blending a scratch but as noted, this is a much broader blemish. I can take a pic and post it if that in any way would help you help me. This kinda bums me as not my doing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I bought a used 870/20/exp with a similar scratch. Several inches long, down the barrel. not too worried about it. Keep it clean, oiled. At some point I may hit it with some of the scratch coverup stuff from the gun store, Walmart or bass pro, etc.

imo, an 870 in a utility type grade, as opposed to the nicely blued finish, fancy stock, engraving, etc , is about the same as hammer, pliers or canoe paddle. A tool, that may get beat up a bit. As long as the barrel doesn’t get deformed, it’s ok.

mho. Ymmv.

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The M-16 repair manual talks about using dry film lubricant to cover up white spots in parkerizing.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I bought a used 870/20/exp with a similar scratch. Several inches long, down the barrel. not too worried about it. Keep it clean, oiled. At some point I may hit it with some of the scratch coverup stuff from the gun store, Walmart or bass pro, etc.

imo, an 870 in a utility type grade, as opposed to the nicely blued finish, fancy stock, engraving, etc , is about the same as hammer, pliers or canoe paddle. A tool, that may get beat up a bit. As long as the barrel doesn’t get deformed, it’s ok.

mho. Ymmv.
    Yeah, not really concerned about aesthetics as it was a LE trade-in. Just wanna protect it
    The M-16 repair manual talks about using dry film lubricant to cover up white spots in parkerizing.
    Further googling yielded magic eraser + remoil. I have both so will try it and report back.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    We'll wait for the pic. If it's a matte finish, and it bugs you that much, maybe tape as closely to the mar as possible and(after a good de-greasing) a couple light sprays with some 'fireplace' paint. Otherwise, call it patina... :)

Overwatcher

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2019
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    You can try this. download.jpeg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You bought a used LE trade in shotgun knowingly , and further ;[QUOTE="mpollan1, post: 6773615, member: 19324"
    she's more of a farm girl.
    [/QUOTE]

It is intended to a knock around utility gun .

1. Use it as is , it has character
    2. Cold blue on the scratch

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    You bought a used LE trade in shotgun knowingly , and further ;[QUOTE="mpollan1, post: 6773615, member: 19324"
    she's more of a farm girl.
    Ed
    It is intended to a knock around utility gun .

1. Use it as is , it has character
    2. Cold blue on the scratch
    [/QUOTE]
    Scratch is post purchase. Want to protect the affected area. Thanks for your thoughts on my psyche.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Well must say, the scrape does not look as bad as it did when it first occurred. Anyway, here's a foto. Would like to blend it but more importantly to me protect the affected area. I'll try the Magic Eraser/remoil. The scrape by the way runs from the pictured are all the way to the muzzle.
    870 Scratch.jpg
    Thanks for indulging me

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you say you want to keep it protected, you need do nothing more than to keep it oiled. The bluing is worn off in several places on an old S&W 1956 Pre-29 44 Magnum I own - down to bright, shiny steel. Keeping it oiled is more than enough protection for it.

If you want to blend it, do like Bigfoot44 suggested and cold blue it.

Or, pull the barrel and use Brownell's Aluma Hyde 2 in Parkerizing gray. Otherwise, there is no touch-up that I know of for Parkerizing.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Degrease the outside of the barrel and hit it with flat black spray paint. Scratch will be gone and it’ll look better than new (used…).

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Degrease the outside of the barrel and hit it with flat black spray paint. Scratch will be gone and it’ll look better than new (used…).
    This...

You would be surprised how well some DIY gunsmithing can be finished up with a little coat of barbeque grill paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom