• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I've never really been into scopes much, but since I'm getting my new BCM upper soon I will have an extra Bushmaster XM 16" HBAR laying around. I was thinking about putting a Nikon scope on it (or similar).

It is a 1:9 twist so that leaves out shooting anything above 69gr (I have tested my AR and it does not work great with 75gr). I would mainly want to shoot cheaper ammo for fun.

My goal is not to have a match grade AR with a free floating stainless steel barrel or anything. Just a pretty accurate scoped semi-auto rifle to have fun with and still hit targets far and with accuracy.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Its worth something. Just how much is entirely up to you. It sounds as if its not worth putting high dollar glass on this upper but if its just a fun paper-puncher at 1-300yds then a Bushnell Elite 4200 series or similar would serve well.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Sure. Find a used scope or decent inexpensive one and give it a shot, pun intended.

Depending on magnification and range you can leave the spotting scope at home. You can use smaller targets for less trips down range. Increase accuracy etcc..

On the other hand it may take up more space in the safe or case.

Have fun with it

ShepAR

Apr 3, 2012
    Harwood
    It is definitely worth doing, especially if you just want to shoot targets. I have a Nikon 4-12 on my 6.8spc and love it. If you use a nice QD mount, you can always easily take it off and use flip up sights or throw on a EOtech, etc. With my Nikon, I mostly shoot under 200yds because of the layout on our farm but I can usually see the target holes through the scope. No walking back and forth and no spotting scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom