• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Today being a cold and boring winter's day with my honey out of town, I decided to pass the time by taking a few pictures of my MAS 49 with a scope attached. While I was at it, I thought I might as well talk about some of the scope and mount variations you'll encounter. While there are lots of 49-56 pictures out there, you can't find many pictures on the net of a 49 with a scope and even fewer of one with the early style scope mount. This isn't intended to be any sort of in-depth analysis, just some pictures folks might find useful and a little information to go along with them. Eventually, I might do a deep dive into the MAS 44, 49 and 49-56 rifles, their scopes, and various literature, but not today.

Here's a MAS 49 looking very similar to what one would have looked like when the French were fighting in Indochina:

I say very similar because this rifle underwent government refurbishment for long term storage back in 1970 and part of that procedure was removing the original walnut stock and replacing it with beech.

Here's a period picture of one in action, most likely with a Laotian serving fighting for the French at the time:

Notice that his rifle has the same early style scope mount and rubber eye cup. His scope case strap is attached to his gear too instead of being slung over his shoulder as intended.

The left side of the receiver on my rifle shows that it was refurbished in 1970, probably at the Poitiers maintenance arsenal:

The refurbishment mark is the "P70" inside a rectangle. Besides changing out the stock, they re-phosphated the rifle, checked all the parts, replaced the bolt with a newer, standardized length bolt to replace the earlier multi-length style, replaced the locking shoulder to set headspace, and replaced the older style firing pin with the newer, polish type. They probably also did things I'm not aware of.

As an aside, there is a little pushbutton on the right side of the front band that is referred to but not really discussed in the user's manual issued with each rifle:

Everything you see on the internet about how the grenade launcher mechanism works refers to using the thumb screw on the left side of the band to move the ranging sleeve around the barrel in and out. The farther you screw the sleeve out, the less time the grenade spends on the barrel when launched and this translates to less range. Even Ian McCollum, in his video about the MAS 49 only uses the thumb screw to extend and retract the sleeve; he never even mentions the poor little ignored pushbutton. Well, using this little thumb screw takes time because it's a lot of screwing from full in to full out and vice-versa. That's where this little button comes in. Pressing it disconnects the ranging sleeve from the thumb wheel and allows it quickly slide up or down the barrel under its own weight so long as you maintain pressure on the button. Release it, and the thumbwheel is re-engaged locking the sleeve in the position it's been placed. It's a quick and easy way to set the rifle grenade's range in combat. Now, whether this button was intended to be used this way or, rather, simply as a way to quickly retract the ranging sleeve once you were finished using the launcher, I cannot say. Whatever the case, that's what it does.

Here's a closer view of the scope mounted to the rifle:

Just like the mount used on the German G43 rifle from WWII, this one employs a throw lever to lock the mount on the rail machined into the left side of the receiver on every MAS 49. With the lever on the mount swung to the forward position shown above, it's locked on the rail and ready for use. Swinging the lever to the rear releases the mount's grip on the rail and allows you to slide it to the rear and off the rifle. This quick detach mechanism is finely made so that repeated removal and reinstallation of the mount will cause no appreciable loss of accuracy.
    It's important to note that there were no factory new MAS 49 or 49-56 marksman rifles produced. Some 49-56 rifles, once selected, were later sent to St. Etienne for upgrades, but even those rifles originally left the factory new as plain ol' 49-56 rifles. The pairing of a rifle to a scope was done in the field and the scope's user manual explains the process for selecting a rifle-scope assembly. Once paired, they were issued to one man who was responsible for it and considered a unit, never to be used for launching grenades again. I'm assuming the scope and rifle numbers were entered into the unit's logbook as being paired, but nothing was physically done to either the rifle or the scope to show that they were mated. So, there is no way to know whether your particular MAS 49 rifle was ever used with a scope when in service.

The mount has a curve to it so that the scope sits directly over the bore of the rifle. You can also use the rifle's standard sights with the scope mounted:

We'll continue in the next post.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If you are a French postwar firearms collector, you may have noticed that something looks just a little bit off with the scope on this rifle. To most people, it appears to be a standard French made APX L806 and it did start life that way. The 806 was the only scope ever issued for use on the MAS 49 and it was calibrated for use with the standard French 7.5x54 cartridge. However, this particular scope was sent back at some point to be rebuilt and recalibrated for use on the FRF2 sniper rifle chambered in 7.62x51 NATO. As part of the process, among other internal things, both the windage and elevation knobs were replaced.
    Additionally, the rear bell was stamped with a small "04" to serve as an immediate reminder that the unit had been reworked for the 7.62 NATO cartridge:

How this scope ever ended up on an early mount, I'll never know. And, were I to ever shoot this rifle (doubtful), it would work fine so long as I remembered that it's going to be farther off the farther I shoot from the range I zeroed it at.

The windage knob sits atop the scope. As part of the rework process, it was given more and finer adjustments than a standard 806 scope. This is immediately obvious when looking at the adjustment marks on the reworked "04" scope:

and comparing them to the adjustment marks on a standard scope:

You may have also noticed that the 04 scope has a taller knob. To accommodate this, a taller protection cap was used (shown on the left below:
    :
    These caps are made of aluminum and anodized.

Regarding the elevation knob mounted on the right side of the scope body, a scope calibrated for the 7.5x54 round will have the range index mark placed at the 9 o'clock position:

While one calibrated for the 7.62 NATO round will be marked closer to the 11 o'clock position:

The numbering on the knob is considerably different too as shown below with the "04" on the left:

Although designed by the State owned "Atelier de Construction de Puteaux" (APX or Puteaux Construction Workshops in English), manufacture was carried out by several companies, none of which, I believe, were actually Puteaux. The two scopes pictured here are made by two different manufacturers:

The one on the left marked "OPL" was made by "Optique de Précison de Levallois" or "Precision Optics in Levallois", a town just outside of Paris that is so close as to be considered a suburb.
    The one on the right was made by "Société Mécanique Optique de Haute précision" or the "High Precision Optical Mechanics Company" with factories in Paris and Dijon.
    OPL later joined with SOM before it was then absorbed by another company. It gets complicated so we'll just leave it at that.

Here, we see the old style mount on the left compared to the newer style mount on the right:

The later mount moves the scope farther forward on the rifle, supposedly to put the shooter's head in a better position. The main body of both mounts is made of a non-ferrous alloy, presumably aluminum or magnesium. The locking lever and clamping bracket that slides onto the receiver rail are steel and the steel screws used to attach this assembly to the mount are staked in place. I don't know just when they stopped using the early style mount but I have a the first 1958 edition of the user's manual for the MAS 49-56 rifle and the early style mount is illustrated. The 1959 1st Edition manual for the scope shows the new mount but the early eye cup, and the 1965 2nd Edition manual for the scope shows the new style eye cup. Draw your own conclusions.

Early (left) and late (right) versions of the rubber eye cup:

The early one is much more flexible than the late version.

According to the 2nd edition parts manual I have for the APX L806 (the official name is the Rifle Scope Model 1953), the only accessories included with the scope are its case with a shoulder strap, an eye cup, and a special key/wrench/tool made to adjust the windage and elevation knobs. However, my early mount had a lens cleaner brush in the case too. Whether this was issue at one time but later dropped, I do not know. I assume this will be answered once I track down a 1st edition parts manual for the scope. Anywho, here are the adjustment tool and the lens brush:

One end of the adjustment tool is used as a screwdriver to loosen the three screws on each knob cover so that it can be adjusted, while the other end engages notches in the elevation knob to adjust it.

Two scope cases:

The one on the right is an earlier version in natural leather while the one on the left is newer with the yellowish tan dressing on the leather. Eash case has a shoulder strap in the same finish but I didn't include them in the picture. I know they made a plastic case too and I am certain that there are other variations in the leather cases over the years that I am not aware of.

Lastly, we see the scope nestled in it's case ready to go back into storage:

In the lid, we can see the adjustment tool in its little leather storage pouch and a white piece of felt glued to a leather wrapped block (wood, I assume) which keeps the scope from rattling in the case. At the bottom of the case, under the ocular lens, is a round piece of leather with padding underneath of it to add some shock protection. To my knowledge, lens covers were never produced for this scope because it was intended that it be stored in its case unless it was actually in use.

So, that's it for this. Again, it's not intended to be anything in-depth; just a quick look at a MAS 49 and its early pattern scope mount. As a bonus, we took a look at one of the scopes reworked for use on the FRF2 rifle. Noe of the three have very much information about them on the internet and I plan on eventually writing up an "in detail" look at all of them and more.

Thanks for your time and I hope I amused you for a while.

I miss you Mom and every day brings me one day closer to embracing you again. Thank you for supplying me with the tools necessary to navigate this Life. I Love you.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Oh, I almost forgot. When I bought the later model scope from a gentleman in France, he included an old firearms permit issued on April 24th, 1975. Whether he threw it in as a bonus thank you or it was in the case already, he did not say and I did not ask. It allows an individual to own any firearm listed on the back and must be renewed every three years. So, if you have a MAS 36 with the serial number H 13400, it was once owned by a Monsieur Pierre Langlois of Montfermeil.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    lol. Thank you sir. If I were to go in-depth, I'd go over how to adjust the mounting bracket on the scope, elevation and windage adjustment, internal parts, etc.. I'd also cover a whole lot of stuff about the rifle, it's cleaning kit (different than the 49-56), literature, and a bunch of other minutia. I have a few of the early cleaning kits and could spend an entire post on just them. I LOVE cleaning kits!

Oh! And we could talk about the absolute earliest mounts too, most likely only made as test equipment for the MAS 44 Type A:

Wait until I do my in detail piece on the MAS 44. I got a chance to disassemble Serial No. 4. That's well over 100 pictures. By the way, despite collectors saying that bolts were only ever electro penciled on these rifles, they did, in fact, stamp the serial number on the bolt in the beginning. The question that will probably never be answered is, when did they stop?

People's eyes will be glazing over with boredom once I start my French Rifle Project. lol.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yay! Lots of info on one of my faves, the MAS 44/49/45-56 series. Thanks for posting and looking forward to your MAS 44 write-up!

Attachments

• IMGP7763.JPG
      IMGP7763.JPG
      37.4 KB · Views: 23
    • IMGP7762.JPG
      IMGP7762.JPG
      33.6 KB · Views: 23
    • IMGP7761.JPG
      IMGP7761.JPG
      41.3 KB · Views: 22

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yay! Lots of info on one of my faves, the MAS 44/49/45-56 series. Thanks for posting and looking forward to your MAS 44 write-up!

Good looking equipment! I have a couple of those transport covers in new condition, just like yours. I had to let them hang out in the garage for months and months to get the smell out. Was yours stinky too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom