• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I kinda doubt that you will find many people who have done that in the C&R section. Most of us like to keep our guns original.

It's your rifle, but it's a preference that most C&R people just aren't into. C&R is a collectors' license, and modifications to C&R firearms can take them out of that classification. Don't be offended. That's just how things are.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I've never done it myself, but that seems to be the most popular way to mount a scope on a mosin. Try looking up the product and reading some reviews on it. There may be something on other forums as well.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    #facepalm

Nooooooooooooooo

Honestly I have no issue with this kind of modification. It can be converted back to original condition within minutes with no sign it ever had a scope on it. If it makes the rifle more enjoyable for someone to shoot without ruining it's value, go for it. It's not my kind of thing, but I get it.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I feel the same way; I thought about sporterizing my Mosin, but realized I really enjoyed the story it had, just the way it was.

But to answer your question, if you really wanted to put a scope mount onto your mosin, you would be better off drilling/tapping a mount versus one that just affixes onto the rear sight.

The reason is that most feel those that just snap-on do not allow a scope to hold zero well; think about it, you are not exactly shooting a small caliber. Drilled/tap mounts do not move at all, thus a better solution, if you are serious about a scope.

Google Rock Solid Industries; a buddy of mind sporterized a Mosin and went with their mount/bent bolt handle. He had Bollingers in Taneytown do the 'smithing. He was pleased.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I feel the same way; I thought about sporterizing my Mosin, but realized I really enjoyed the story it had, just the way it was.

But to answer your question, if you really wanted to put a scope mount onto your mosin, you would be better off drilling/tapping a mount versus one that just affixes onto the rear sight.

The reason is that most feel those that just snap-on do not allow a scope to hold zero well; think about it, you are not exactly shooting a small caliber. Drilled/tap mounts do not move at all, thus a better solution, if you are serious about a scope.

Google Rock Solid Industries; a buddy of mind sporterized a Mosin and went with their mount/bent bolt handle. He had Bollingers in Taneytown do the 'smithing. He was pleased.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    do not buy the mount that sits in your mosin rear sight. punch out the two pins, remove the upper hand guard and drift off the rear sight toward the front end of the barrel. you will find an 11mm/3/8 dovetail under the rear sight. you can use rings or a mount that fits this dovetail. check out the youtube vids for further info.:thumbsup:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    To the OP ... and not just to those responding to him ...

apparently not ?!?! but buyer beware....for example I heard soo much bs about the ati stock for the mosin nagant I had no issue

How about just going out and buying a modern rifle that was made to have a scope, rather than doing a Bubba job on a piece of history? In the end, you'll have a more practical rifle for about the same amount of money, and you can take it right out and blast away with it.

Talk of how to take a collectible piece of history (no matter how many millions were made) and turn it into an unoriginal pile of crap is likely to make someone as popular as a turd in a punch bowl in a group designed for collectors. Nobody here will deny that it's your rifle, and it's your right to do with it as you wish, but why go into a group specifically for collectors (C&R is a federal license specifically for collectors) and ask how to destroy the intrinsic value of a firearm as a collectible piece of history? It's understandable to do this once, not knowing better, but to come back and stir the pot on an issue like this makes it seem like someone's just trying to annoy folks. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as being snotty about this, but the first response to the OP explained things pretty well.

Look at it this way: say you go out and buy a nice plain Jane 91/30 at a gun show for $140. Then you spend another $120 putting a mediocre scope onto it. Then you plunk down another $75 (plus shipping) to get a "modern" stock for it. Not counting your time, you now have almost $350 into a "custom" Mosin that looks just like everyone else's "custom" Mosin, and it's now worth $150 ... if you can get that for it. Why not just put that money into a decent 30-06 and have a rifle that will hold its resale value, instead of a Bubba-ed up POS?

Last edited:

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    To the OP ... and not just to those responding to him ...

How about just going out and buying a modern rifle that was made to have a scope, rather than doing a Bubba job on a piece of history? In the end, you'll have a more practical rifle for about the same amount of money, and you can take it right out and blast away with it.

Talk of how to take a collectible piece of history (no matter how many millions were made) and turn it into an unoriginal pile of crap is likely to make someone as popular as a turd in a punch bowl in a group designed for collectors. Nobody here will deny that it's your rifle, and it's your right to do with it as you wish, but why go into a group specifically for collectors (C&R is a federal license specifically for collectors) and ask how to destroy the intrinsic value of a firearm as a collectible piece of history? It's understandable to do this once, not knowing better, but to come back and stir the pot on an issue like this makes it seem like someone's just trying to annoy folks. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as being snotty about this, but the first response to the OP explained things pretty well.

Look at it this way: say you go out and buy a nice plain Jane 91/30 at a gun show for $140. Then you spend another $120 putting a mediocre scope onto it. Then you plunk down another $75 (plus shipping) to get a "modern" stock for it. Not counting your time, you now have almost $350 into a "custom" Mosin that looks just like everyone else's "custom" Mosin, and it's now worth $150 ... if you can get that for it. Why not just put that money into a decent 30-06 and have a rifle that will hold its resale value, instead of a Bubba-ed up POS?

why would it be a POS? when I can always put it back in it's original wooden stock! I just want to add a few cometics and a decent scope O.o in the long run I can sell these accessories...ebay craigslist etc I understand everyones point nonetheless.....

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    why would it be a POS? when I can always put it back in it's original wooden stock! I just want to add a few cometics and a decent scope O.o in the long run I can sell these accessories...ebay craigslist etc I understand everyones point nonetheless.....

This section isn't dedicated just to purist collectors. I've seen plenty of threads dedicated to refinishing CZ 82's and Tokarev pistols. Like I said before, I would never modify my rifles even with reversible modifications, but that's up to you if that's what you want. If you have any questions about C&R guns there are usually people who can help you out. What you should do is invest in a PU sniper. After you bought the mosin, the new stock, the mount, and the scope, you'd be near the same price as a PU sniper, and no one on here would be unnecessarily blasting you for altering a rifle.

But, if you decide to go through with mounting a scope on a 91/30, definitely go the dovetail route. The recoil is very heavy, so you need a solid base, and putting a scope in place of just the rear sight will not provide that.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    This section isn't dedicated just to purist collectors. Like I said before, I would never modify my rifles even with reversible modifications, but that's up to you if that's what you want. If you have any questions about C&R guns there are usually people who can help you out. What you should do is invest in a PU sniper. After you bought the mosin, the new stock, the mount, and the scope, you'd be near the same price as a PU sniper, and no one on here would be unnecessarily blasting you for altering a rifle.

But, if you decide to go through with mounting a scope on a 91/30, definitely go the dovetail route. The recoil is very heavy, so you need a solid base, and putting a scope in place of just the rear sight will not provide that.

:thumbsup: thanks man i'll consider that

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Maybe ask some Syrian Rebels?

Syrian_Sniper1_zpsc9ab18bb.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    you would think in Syria they could find sand for a Sandbag.

BTW, even the most heavily rearsinaled Mosin PU snipers will only give you so much accuracy. I had to shim and canvas wrap my PU sniper then do my own reloads to get 1MOA out of it. With surplus ammo, 2-3MOA is common and that's mostly cause you'll get a flyer every 5-10 rounds from surplus Ammo.

I mounted a red dot on one of my Mosins just for the heck of it to see what it would do. It was way easier to aim but took it back off.

One draw back of the rear sight mount is that you have to get a pistol long eye relief scope. Then you end up getting a scope that is only usable on that Mosin or a Pistol and can't reuse it if you get a rifle that needs a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom