• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I want a good scope for this stainless revolver. Primarily wanted specifically for deer hunting, though it will definitely see some target use also. I have never scoped a revolver, but my eyes aren't what they used to be either, and especially in low light conditions. So maybe it's time.

Am thinking 2.5 power.....maybe 4. Magnification (I THINK) is going to matter less to me than clarity, and light gathering ability, and target and sight on the same optical plane. But again, I've never used a scoped revolver in a deer woods. Maybe something else I should be considering?

Would want good quality glass with repeatable settings that can take the pounding of heavy .44 magnum loads. Would ideally want to keep the price under $500 or so, if feasible.

School me folks......recommendations on makes and models with which you've had success, and what I need to be thinking about and looking for here? Thanks!

Try a Pride and Fowler with BDC for 240 grain 44 magnum. I have one for my 22 and will get the 44 when my handgun scope gives up the ghost.:thumbsup:

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    I like thai's suggestion of a red dot as a consideration also. I use an ultradot on my DE44/50, great with older eyes.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Im not too sure where the other models of Weavers Classic Pistol scopes are made.

Here is a link to Weavers classic handgun line scopes:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/optics/handgunscopes/classic/

It might not hurt to contact Weaver and find out where the specific scope you are looking at is made. Judging by the MSRP on the whole line, the prices are pretty close to each other, Id be willing to bet the whole line is Japan.

Here is Weavers contact via web:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/general/contact_us.aspx

Thanks Rock for the contact info! I'll post and let you know what they say when I get a reply. I asked them about the origin of all 5 members of the Classic series. I'm reading good reviews on this series......never owned a Weaver scope, but might have to give one a try. Appreciate your help!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I like thai's suggestion of a red dot as a consideration also. I use an ultradot on my DE44/50, great with older eyes.

Laughing at myself here :sad20:......I made a reference last night not to a red dot as mentioned, but rather to a laser. A combination of never having used either one of these, and perhaps the Captain having set sail last night. :) Might be worth a look also! Thanks!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I've had a couple Weaver scopes and have one on a fifle now. Liked them all, but never used one of their handgun scope. Had Leupold once, should have kept that one.

Weaver was a name I'd hear often years ago. And Redfield also. Then, not so much. Never owned either. They were both bought and sold a few times IIRC. Plus some other manufacturers became increasingly popular. There's been so much innovation and refinement in scopes over the years. Reading some good things about Weaver now though. They seem to be on the map in good ways again. The Leupolds I own have always been favorites of mine. Hard on the wallet though.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Im not too sure where the other models of Weavers Classic Pistol scopes are made.

Here is a link to Weavers classic handgun line scopes:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/optics/handgunscopes/classic/

It might not hurt to contact Weaver and find out where the specific scope you are looking at is made. Judging by the MSRP on the whole line, the prices are pretty close to each other, Id be willing to bet the whole line is Japan.

Here is Weavers contact via web:

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/general/contact_us.aspx

Here is Weaver's reply regarding manufacturing origin of their Classic Series:

Thank you for your inquiry. All Weaver Classic series scopes are manufactured in Japan. All service is done at the Weaver facility in Anoka, Minnesota.
    JR
    Weaver Technical Services

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Try a Pride and Fowler with BDC for 240 grain 44 magnum. I have one for my 22 and will get the 44 when my handgun scope gives up the ghost.:thumbsup:

Interesting, and my thanks your way for the education! One thought that comes to mind with these though is that, when it comes to hunting, I am thinking that the scope may well have capabilities that exceed the long range terminal capabilities of the cartridge. I'm personally not one to stretch things too far on deer with handguns. But I'm thinking that these scopes could be a real peach for banging steel though!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I've been using a Nikon 2.5-8x28 Force XR EER Handgun Scope on my S&W model 29 for some time shooting silhouette match's. So far I have shot 4 match's and a lot of practice. Still holds and repeats to zero, I'm very happy with the scope.
    http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-8x28-Force-XR-EER-Handgun-Scope-P51967.aspx

Thanks Marauder! I notice we seem to share the same addiction!

I just ordered a straight 2 power Weaver. Short range deer woods work. Going to give one of these a shot, and see how it works out.

My thanks to all who helped me out here with some great input!

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Duke, let us know how the scope and mount work out.

Yes, I believe there are a few of us that share the same addiction.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Duke, let us know how the scope and mount work out.

Yes, I believe there are a few of us that share the same addiction.

Indeed sir. Rings are Ruger factory supplied for this revolver, and have been written up very favorably. Dead nuts solid is the claim on these, which would make sense to me. For whatever else they are and aren't when compared to other manufacturers, I don't think I've ever seen a handgun that Ruger didn't overbuild. Thinking their rings are likely no exception to that theme.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Here is Weaver's reply regarding manufacturing origin of their Classic Series:

Thank you for your inquiry. All Weaver Classic series scopes are manufactured in Japan. All service is done at the Weaver facility in Anoka, Minnesota.
    JR
    Weaver Technical Services

There ya go.. and they answered you fast too.

If you end up buying a Weaver, I would register the scope through their webpage, in the event you have a problem in the future. They also were sending out free lens pens when you do register your scope.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    There ya go.. and they answered you fast too.

If you end up buying a Weaver, I would register the scope through their webpage, in the event you have a problem in the future. They also were sending out free lens pens when you do register your scope.

Ordered one today! Labor Day weekend is coming up, and some time off. I'm thinking that mounting this scope and dialing it in wouldn't be a bad way to labor! :)

Thanks again!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I put a Weaver classic pistol scope on my Encore pistol chambered in .308 Winchester. Its been a great scope, and has taken the pounding of the heavy recoil that gun puts out. Its held zero, and is pretty clear glass as well. The eye relief is just right for a pistol. Some people like to use rifle scopes on pistol, but eye relief becomes an issue, and you do not want your eye close to handgun scope on a gun that jumps when you fire it.

The Weaver classic pistol scope uses Japanease glass (scope is made in Japan) and not cheap chinease like some of the other Weavers. They are warrantied for life.

I ended up putting a 2.5x8 power -the added magnification for longer if needed shots. The nice part about a variable power, is you can always turn down the magnification, and turn it up if needed. Ive been very pleased with the scope, and will buy more, as I add other barrels to my Encore collection.

Weaver makes the scope in a Silver finish, and a black one, so depending on the finish of your Ruger, you can use which you have, and have it will look nice too.

This is what the scope looks like:

185556.jpg

Here is a link to the scope on Midway USA:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185556/weaver-classic-pistol-scope-25-8x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-silver

Thought I'd kick this old thread back out there, now that there's some chill in the air. I wound up buying a Weaver handgun scope that Deep Creek Rock mentioned here a couple of years back for my Ruger SBH Hunter. I went with their 2x28. Good call DCR, if you happen to get back to MDS one day! Probably 750 rounds of 44 handloads on that scope now, with some of them pretty stout, and to date it's been flawless. Still my one and only scoped handgun, so I've nothing else in the way of handgun scopes to compare it to. But I certainly haven't been disappointed. Thinking about buying another for either a Single Six or a MKlll.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Interesting, and my thanks your way for the education! One thought that comes to mind with these though is that, when it comes to hunting, I am thinking that the scope may well have capabilities that exceed the long range terminal capabilities of the cartridge. I'm personally not one to stretch things too far on deer with handguns. But I'm thinking that these scopes could be a real peach for banging steel though!

^^^^ Which is why is sold my Ruger 44 carbine way back. The carbine only extended effective range about 35 - 50 yards. The cartridge then exhibited large drop values so I stayed with the revolver which I am effective to 75 yards and capable to 100. Anywhere I would use the carbine the revolver was effective. So why the extra size and weight? Additionally, loading hot the bolt out ran the cartridge lifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom