• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    I'm torn between these two scopes for my AR and wanted some input from anyone with experience with them. They are about the same weight and size, but the Leupold has a slightly broader zoom range and a preferable reticle, but costs $50 more. I'm most concerned with how the optics compare. Any thoughts?

~$230:
    Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm LR Duplex #113865

~$180:
    Weaver V-7 2.5-7X32mm Dual X #849399

I also have looked at the Nikon M-223 2-8x32 BDC 600, but its ~$300 and about 3oz heavier than the other two.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'll put in a good word for the Weaver (not familiar with the Vx1). I've had several, and they are my go to budget scope.

The Japanese Weavers are historically very very good scopes. Supposing that is one of the Japanese Light Optics Works made scopes, the mechanics/adjustments are some of the best in the business, and the optics were not too shabby either. IMO, the mechanics are way more important than optical quality. The Weaver target scopes have enjoyed a pretty good following in benchrest community for a reason. They also hold up to recoil very well.

This is a little dated, but some musings from Gale McMillan regarding Japanese scopes.
    http://yarchive.net/gun/scope/makers.html

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have that Nikon scope on my SPR. The last time I shot it at distance (500 yards) I could clearly see the 12"x12" steel plate I was shooting at with max magnification. It's worth the money.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Holy thread revive batman!

I'm too am looking at the VX-1 2-7x33 for my next build and was wondering if anyone else has had experience with it in the last 2+ years that this thread was created?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Holy thread revive batman!

I'm too am looking at the VX-12-7x33 for my next build and was wondering if anyone else has had experience with it in the last 2+ years that this thread was created?

I don't and I hate to offer you something different, but I looked at a bunch of scopes at the Outdoor show last weekend and bought a Vortex Diamondback HP from Euro Optics for $259. 2.5x8 x32 with parallax adjustment. I think there is a discount code on their website. Either way, they have a huge selection and may even help you to broaden or narrow your choice.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for the input, Overboost! I actually looked at those and love the quality of glass. The main reason I'm looking at the VX-1 is because of the weight savings. My AR is more of a rebuild than a new build. I have a pre 10/13 rifle and I'm redoing everything to make it lighter. So as much as I like the vortex, those extra ounces counted it out for this specific application. Maybe on a post 10/13 build though!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Splurge for the VX-2. Worth it for the better controls and glass. I bought a new VX-2 2-7x33 a few months ago. Really nice scope. Very light. Nice mount for it is the Weaver SPR 1-inch.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thanks for the input, Overboost! I actually looked at those and love the quality of glass. The main reason I'm looking at the VX-1 is because of the weight savings. My AR is more of a rebuild than a new build. I have a pre 10/13 rifle and I'm redoing everything to make it lighter. So as much as I like the vortex, those extra ounces counted it out for this specific application. Maybe on a post 10/13 build though!

You are right. At 15.9 oz. it is heavier than I wanted as well. I was surprised when I picked up the 1x6 Strike Eagle. It weighed more than this one. I love Leupold anyway, but thought I would try something different this time. Sure would be nice to have 6 oz. back though.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I'll check out the VX-2. I like that the weight is the same as the VX-1. I may have missed it, but what is the difference other than added coatings on the glass? Currently Im using Warne MSR QD mounts for my other scoped ARs. I really like the QD feature and it's the lightest QD "tactical" mounts I have found so far.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I'll check out the VX-2. I like that the weight is the same as the VX-1. I may have missed it, but what is the difference other than added coatings on the glass? Currently Im using Warne MSR QD mounts for my other scoped ARs. I really like the QD feature and it's the lightest QD "tactical" mounts I have found so far.

If you are going for such a lightweight gun, why the QD mounts? Is that 5.6 oz each? You may want to consider if you will be removing the optics often enough to warrant them. I couldn't find a lot of manufacturers showing what theirs weigh, but I am just guessing that you can save some weight by not going QD.

I am interested to hear what else is going on your gun. I am working on a lightweight myself. I have to get rid of my brand new 14.5 oz Magpul ACS to pick up a carbon fiber one that is 9.5oz from Lancer or the DD that is 8 oz.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'll check out the VX-2. I like that the weight is the same as the VX-1. I may have missed it, but what is the difference other than added coatings on the glass?

Better coatings. Better light transmission. Better waterproofing. Blackened lens edges. Big focus (diopter) ring. Click-type controls (versus VX-1 friction-type controls).

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you are going for such a lightweight gun, why the QD mounts? Is that 5.6 oz each?

That's why I had mentioned the Weaver SPR mount (48376). It's rugged, the 1-in version weighs about 5.5oz, and it has thumb nuts for semi-quick removal. Such a lightweight scope deserves a lightweight mounting solution. While considerably lighter, I'm not a fan of the 3oz Aero Precision Ultralight mount because of the goofy way the rings get tightened and cause the scope to rotate.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Overboost44[/QUOTE said:
    The Warne mounts are 5.4oz per pair according to their website. I wish more companies posted the weight of their products! I probably could save an ounce or two going with non-QD, but I am also running back up sights(mbus). I know full well I may never need to use them and take the scope off, I just really like having that option. For the stock I was going to go with the magpul MOE(8oz) or MOE SL-K(7.9oz). The hand guard and new barrel I am thinking about comes from Bravo Company. The KMR hand guard is 7.7oz with mounting hardware. Their 16" mid length Enhanced Light Weight barrel is 1lb 6oz.

Boom Boom/QUOTE said:
    Thanks for the scope info! I think I will spend that extra $100. Also, thanks for posting the weight of the weaver. I assumed it would be heavier than 5.5oz because it was a one piece mount.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    The Warne mounts are 5.4oz per pair according to their website. I wish more companies posted the weight of their products! I probably could save an ounce or two going with non-QD, but I am also running back up sights(mbus). I know full well I may never need to use them and take the scope off, I just really like having that option. For the stock I was going to go with the magpul MOE(8oz) or MOE SL-K(7.9oz). The hand guard and new barrel I am thinking about comes from Bravo Company. The KMR hand guard is 7.7oz with mounting hardware. Their 16" mid length Enhanced Light Weight barrel is 1lb 6oz.

Boom Boom/QUOTE said:
    Thanks for the scope info! I think I will spend that extra $100. Also, thanks for posting the weight of the weaver. I assumed it would be heavier than 5.5oz because it was a one piece mount.

You may want to verify the weight that I gave you. The one piece is probably heavier. I didn't know exactly which one you were looking at so I took an average but it was the two piece rings. Here is the link that I was looking at. I didn't know if you were looking at L,M, or High rings. Go to "Products" and find the ones you were looking at and you should find the weights under specs.
    http://warnescopemounts.com/product-category/msr-mounting-systems/quick-detach-msr-mounting-systems/

I found this one piece that is skeletonized and it is 6.7oz.
    http://warnescopemounts.com/product/xskel30-gen-2-extended-skeletonized-30mm-msr-mount/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom