• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    Like the title says there are more then a couple of them out their. I am looking at putting one on my new 5.7 and maybe a .45.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's two kinds of RMR:
    1. LED
    2. Fiber-optic + tritium ("dual illuminated")

People are a bit meh on the duallies because they can wash out, but they also require no batteries. As far as durability, an RMR is the only kind of "micro dot" I would trust when mounted directly to a pistol slide, but I think the Burris Fastfire III is a higher value choice for rifles and shotguns.

The thing about mounting them to pistols is that doing it right is hard; you need to mill the slide, install taller suppressor sights, etc. Just dumping it on a mount doesn't work as well as you would think; if that's your plan, a C-More is more appropriate.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    There's two kinds of RMR:
    1. LED
    2. Fiber-optic + tritium ("dual illuminated")

People are a bit meh on the duallies because they can wash out, but they also require no batteries. As far as durability, an RMR is the only kind of "micro dot" I would trust when mounted directly to a pistol slide, but I think the Burris Fastfire III is a higher value choice for rifles and shotguns.

The thing about mounting them to pistols is that doing it right is hard; you need to mill the slide, install taller suppressor sights, etc. Just dumping it on a mount doesn't work as well as you would think; if that's your plan, a C-More is more appropriate.

What about the guns like the FN .45 tac that comes pre done for one is that o.k. or would you still involve a gunsmith?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A gun like the FNP-45 or that new M&P CORE would not require gunsmith intervention, but that's an exception to the rule.

Speaking of which, I lust for that new M&P CORE, and it would be one of the few pistols I'd genuinely consider spending the money on an RMR for. Give it a threaded barrel, and it'd be an amazing suppressor platform.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    O.K. Thanks for the input I just got a 5.7 and would like a FN .45 tac,but right all of my money is going into a LWRC. I hope I will still be able to get one later after all this ******** goes away.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Speaking of which, I lust for that new M&P CORE, and it would be one of the few pistols I'd genuinely consider spending the money on an RMR for. Give it a threaded barrel, and it'd be an amazing suppressor platform.

I agree. Thats why I started the paperwork on one 3 weeks ago, and it will be getting the threaded barrel from my other M&P9 (or I may just buy a storm lake threaded barrel -- they are nicer than the S&W factory threaded barrels). Can't wait to get that running with my Tirant 9. Don't ask what I paid for the gun... I'm a little embarrassed (but that's what I get for buying an otherwise hard to find gun in today's environment).

But I did not opt for the RMR. I've used a LED RMR and a 7.5 moa Deltapoint. I found the Deltapoint more user friendly, so that's what I went with. The glass is clearer and the frame blocks less of my vision. Also, the triangle dot allows for both precise shooting (using the point of the triangle) and fast shooting using the whole dot. I've heard some say that the RMR is more durable. I don't know whether that's so, but the deltapoint is darn strong and built very well.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    One thing that seriously sucks about the battery-powered RMR (and many competitors) is that it must be removed from the gun (and/or its mount) to replace the battery, meaning your zero can shift when it is re-mounted. The C-More alternatives have a battery tray that pops out on the side. Be sure to check out the exact reflex sights that interest you in person first. The heavy tint on most of them is really annoying. Agreed with HT4 that the Deltapoint is more appealing in many ways, with clearer glass being one big reason why. Adjusting zero on the Deltapoint sucks, though. The clearest glass I've seen is on the JP Enterprises JPoint. Also check out the Burris Fastfire II and III.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    just a little motivation

Attachments

• tirant.jpg
      tirant.jpg
      32.6 KB · Views: 303
    • glock 19.jpg
      glock 19.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 399
    • tds19.jpg
      tds19.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 391

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    One thing that seriously sucks about the battery-powered RMR (and many competitors) is that it must be removed from the gun (and/or its mount) to replace the battery, meaning your zero can shift when it is re-mounted. The C-More alternatives have a battery tray that pops out on the side. Be sure to check out the exact reflex sights that interest you in person first. The heavy tint on most of them is really annoying. Agreed with HT4 that the Deltapoint is more appealing in many ways, with clearer glass being one big reason why. Adjusting zero on the Deltapoint sucks, though. The clearest glass I've seen is on the JP Enterprises JPoint. Also check out the Burris Fastfire II and III.

FastFire3 slide mount/milled onto a Glock 34
    Absolute co- witnessed to Ameriglo Tall suppressor sights
    My favorite Pistol

For the last couple of years, I have been experimenting ( expensive science experiment) with the RMR-ized combat pistols. My eyes are getting older and anything that can help, i will use. So the concept of a racegun style gun that is shrunk down to a combat - practical pistol makes sense.

Here is my take away. Trijicon RMRs are the only micro red dot sight that can be trusted to perform extremely well for a slide mounted application.battery models are better than the fiber optic version. If the red dot is not in absolute co- witness position to the irons, it will slow you down as the dot wanders. The Front sight is still the fastest way to acquire a flash sight picture. Red dots simply increase accuracy , speed is also enhanced once the dot is acquired, follow up shots and engaging multiple targets is easier.

The Burris FF3 is significantly longer than the FF2, problems may occur when milling onto a Glock as the safety plunger channel will be exposed by the miling process. Will not affect function as long as it is covered by the sight and dirt cant get in. The Burris' 1632 batteries last about 90 days in auto mode, shorter battery life compared to the RMR( about 6 months), but can be changed from the top without removing the sight from the gun. w/e are also easy to adjust with positive detents, no rear locking screws that get obstructed by iron sights. early FF3 had problems. mine was replaced by Burris with zero questions asked. the new one is holding well.

I like the RMR pistols. Its a cheat that give you back the ability to deliver accurate pistol shots over longer distances. with some practice, 100 yard shots on coke cans can be done consistently. Turn the dout off and be amazed that you can still do it with just irons. Its also an awesome training tool for shooters. If only Aimpoint would make a version with a 10 year battery life, ill be a happy camper.

Attachments

• g34 shhh.jpg
      g34 shhh.jpg
      132 KB · Views: 395

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    A little more motivation.

Also, I agree with Boom Boom on adjusting the zero on the Deltapoint. It is a serious flaw in the design IMO.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I finally gave up on my Deltapoint and ordered a RMR (w/ green triangle) today. The Deltapoint is a royal pain to adjust since it has no clicks and requires removal of the rear sight on my M&P CORE... but I knew that going in. What pushed me over the edge is the fact that it refuses to hold zero. That's inexcusable. The lockdown screws simply do not work. I sent one back to Leupold, and had the same issues with the second one. Since I can't trust the sight, I'm done with it. I retract my earlier comments on the Deltapoint, and amend them to "stay away, they suck."

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Adding to my earlier comments (for clarity), Deltapoint is a loser because of the horrible zero adjustment. RMR is rugged and would be my de facto choice, despite the tint and battery location. When it comes to optics for my own guns, ruggedness is key.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Replaced the DP tonight and put 50 rounds through it. VERY easy to zero compared to the DP and it held zero fine without the PITA lock down screws that don't work anyway. It's a little heavier and the sight picture is not as big and bright, but I guess that's the trade off. Some pics...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377229541.072201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377229572.122818.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377229585.890693.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377229599.823595.jpg

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I really like the Dual Illum RMRs. They are as bright as the light you are shooting them in. It only washes out if you are standing in a dark room shooting into a bright light.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I really like the Dual Illum RMRs. They are as bright as the light you are shooting them in. It only washes out if you are standing in a dark room shooting into a bright light.

I love the 13 MOA green triangle, which is only available in dual illum -- that's my excuse. :o If they made an LED version with that, it's probably what I would have. I like having a big dot for rapid fire, but also the ability to do fine work. My 10 yard zero is right on the top point of the triangle, so real precise aiming is not a problem, even with the big 13 MOA dot.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the dual illum version that I got. It works AWESOME outdoors -- far better than any LED version that I've tried -- and more than adequately indoors. As you noted, the dot is weak for dark to bright light shooting, but not too bad. The light difference has to be HUGE -- like shooting from a pitch black cave into a bright sunny afternoon -- before the dot washes out.

It's funny, my wife and son are out of town, so I was going around the house last night playing with the lights testing it is every light condition and combination possible. Overall, I was pretty pleased. :)

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I still don't know which to get... I need two now, one for my M&P CORE, and one for the FNP45 Tactical I just bought. Too many choices.

I wish I could get a dual illumination version, with brightness adjustment, ability to change reticle size and shape, and a backup battery that lasts ten years. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom