• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I needed 2 new chokes for my O/U. I don't have a lot of experience, just wondering what the major differences are. My used O/U came with 2 chokes from Muller which run about $100 each. I ended up ordered 3 Carlson extend chokes for less than half of that each. No clue what the differences are... I THINK the extended tubes are supposed to provide more consistent pattern when compared to flush chokes? No clue what is supposed to make a Muller choke twice as good as any other?

with my shotgun abilities, I could attach a soup can for a choke and shoot just as well...lol.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    If you’re really interested, register a username etc to the forums at ShotgunWorld.com as there is a treasure trove of technical (not just industry) info there based on actual testing etc by established folks such as Tom Armbruster, Randy Wakeman and many, many others …

And, don’t overthink too much about anything related to shotgun shooting - except safety and having fun.

OP, this chap reads and sounds like he is responding directly, to you, haha! (And, with 134 replies also like,y a good glimpse into some of the different psychological spectrum and personality types prevalent in many if not most online forums!):

Choke testing - Muller, Browning, Angle Port, Ljutic​

I've heard a lot of differing opinions about chokes. So, I decided to test them myself and see what I would find. This thread will chronicle my adventures as I attempt to quantify the differences in chokes. My hypothesis is that there will be minimal if any difference from one brand to another...

Additional, good examples / actual SGW.com threads, here:

Last edited:

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Shotgun world has an enormous amount of information. If you want to go with custom chokes, Sumtoy custom is a good place. He made choke for team zoli. Georgia guy, nice to talk with

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you aren’t patterning your gun you are just guessing.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've shot a lot of different shotguns and tried a lot of chokes, screw in, adjustable Polychokes, and fixed choke barrels. Unless you are an expert, you won't notice any difference. I'm happy with the factory chokes.
    ONE THING FOR CERTAIN ALWAYS, ALWAYS USE ANTI-SIEZE ON THE THREADS!
    Make sure your choke wrench fits properly or you'll bugger the notches up.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    The purported reason for extended tubes are to make them easier to change, and they make it easier to quickly see what chokes you have in. The real reason for them is for the cool look on the range or in field.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom