• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I've been looking at ammo prices on 30 carbine and they seem to be quite favorable when compared to the 223 so it's been getting me interested in the M1 Carbines. I mean I can buy a case of 30 carbine for about what a good case of 9mm costs.

I'm not too well versed on my options though. Should I stick with a surplus carbine or buy new? I'm leaning towards new only because I think I might like to put a rail on it and I don't want to ruin a piece of history. If I do buy new who makes them?

If I go surplus what things should I be on the look out for? Are their makes I should avoid? Should I buy one in person or is there a good website/store I can go to get a good deal on one?

Also who makes the good mags?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Everyone here knows I love the M1 (and cant resist a gunshow deal on one I dont have!). The short list of answers to your question is:

1. Its tons of fun, everyone should have one, you can put it in any shooters hands and they will be proficient. It was the AK47 of the WWII US generation. Its weakness was that it had limited stopping power (though probably highly exagerated as you had soldiers comparing it to a garand) and it tended to have reliability problems at sub zero temperatures.

2. The cartridge can be formidable, and good expansion softpoint ammo is available. I dont know of any hollow points.

3. You will have a hard time getting M1 ammo at the price of 9mm. 9mm is $12 a box for brass cased M1 is $18 for the same. Reloading is essential, and a good stock of projectiles is essential as well as they come and go. That said not a big deal.

4. Dont buy commercial. Buy GI only Inland, Saginaw, Winchester, Underwood, etc. Quality is about the same across the board (thanks to the U.S. Ordinance board).

5. Dont worry about matched parts, as they mixmaster well. The standard "Korea" adjustable sight, bayo lug, flip safety version is fine for shooting.

Expect to pay $500 to $800 for a good mixmaster, $700 to $900 for mostly matching parts. $1,000 plus for all correct. Obviously rare manufacturers and certain combinations of features increase price.

Everyone should have 1 (my 1 became 5+)

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Couldn't agree more with Jimbob when it comes to avoiding the new ones. You're better off finding a surplus rifle and shooting it up. If something breaks, you can use a part from any other carbine to make it work again. The guns were designed so that any other manufacturer's part would work in another's.

If it's a range gun you're looking for, I'd say your best bet price wise would be either an Inland or Underwood. A gun show in MD will probably ask way more than what one is worth however a gun show at York or Valley Forge may yield some better deals. Another option would be to keep an eye on the classified ads here or on somewhere like Gunboards. Another spot where people are fair and seem to be good overall is on the CMP forums...they have a section for things for sale.

BEWARE!!!! They are addictive! Once you get one you'll end up buying another!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Couldn't agree more with Jimbob when it comes to avoiding the new ones. You're better off finding a surplus rifle and shooting it up. If something breaks, you can use a part from any other carbine to make it work again. The guns were designed so that any other manufacturer's part would work in another's.

If it's a range gun you're looking for, I'd say your best bet price wise would be either an Inland or Underwood. A gun show in MD will probably ask way more than what one is worth however a gun show at York or Valley Forge may yield some better deals. Another option would be to keep an eye on the classified ads here or on somewhere like Gunboards. Another spot where people are fair and seem to be good overall is on the CMP forums...they have a section for things for sale.

BEWARE!!!! They are addictive! Once you get one you'll end up buying another!

I would agree with that I routinely see M1s in good shootable shape with good muzzle gauges (2 and under) for $600 to $650 at York, Gettysburg and CHantilly.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I would agree with that I routinely see M1s in good shootable shape with good muzzle gauges (2 and under) for $600 to $650 at York, Gettysburg and CHantilly.

What's a muzzle gauge and how do I do this on the fly at a gun show?

Also I was mistaken about the ammo prices being 9mm. I misunderstood when I read the price on the one website I was checking. It looks like it's actually about the same as 223 or at least in that ball park.

I still think it'd be cool to get one and maybe use one in a 3-gun or multigun style competition. I honestly think it'd make a good home defense weapon too with the 20-30 round mags and it's overall compact size.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It's a device that measures the amount of wear on the muzzle which greatly affects accuracy. They can be had from Fulton armory and will work on 1903s and m1 garands and krags.

It's a simple handheld tool that can be taken to a show. In a jam you can use a 30 06 cartridge. If it swallows the cartridge to the brass. However this is only a rough indicator as it is dependent on the bullet size and curve being accurate.

Usually 2.5 and under are serviceable. Above nearing the end of its life. 0 should be new but in reality many barrels were ones straight from the factory,

Mine range from a little less than one to a little more than 2.5.

Sometimes more worn guns shoot just fine but it's a solid indicator

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom