• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    I know to stay away from the aluminum receiver guns (integrated top rail).

I am looking at a SAR8 Sporter model. It does not have the original Thumbhole stock. It comes with 5 20 round magazines.

What do I need to look out for? Will simply removing the thumbhole stock and installing a more traditional stock pose any compliancy issues?

What should I pay for one?

Im sure there are better 308s out there but I've always wanted a Greek made SAR

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    If you just buy a a reciver, than you can not get a SAR-8...it would just be an American made parts gun.
    Do not buy the SAR-8 that was made by Springfield in this country...they are junk. The easiest way to identify them is that have a welded scope rail on the receiver and the magwell area is textured instead of smooth.

Mags are still dirt cheap...they do not add much in value. the best part about a SAR is that you are getting an hk quality barrel. They are not able to be imported anymore. These are considered to be on par with an HK-91 and the only other rifle considered to be on par is the Portuguese copy (also made on hk tooling by hk trained techs).

922r applies like on all imported guns when they are changed from the inported configuration. http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-91-HK-G3-922r-US-Compliant-Parts-c234.htm

The best price guide is gunbroker.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Why not just buy a PTR91 instead? No compliance issues to worry about, you can pick what ever configuration you want and you get a high quality match barrel that will out shoot an original Hk barrel.

I just sold mine.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    My family is from Greece... hence the interest in the "made in Greece" stamped on the side of the rifle. It'll probably just sit in the safe.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    My family is from Greece... hence the interest in the "made in Greece" stamped on the side of the rifle. It'll probably just sit in the safe.

Oh... sounds like my gun situation now that we have a munchkin.

If I was in your shoes I would buy a PTR and build a 1/50th scale model of Parthenon in your back yard. ;)

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I would get a sar 8. The barrell is actually cut with the correct flutes and will handle surplus ammo better. Unless you have a gi model ptr it won't handle surplus ammo and a gi model ptr and a sar 8 will be abiut the same accuracy wise. Plus all parts will be hk spec. I worry about ptr because some of their parts are to their own specs and may not be available. .should they ever go out of business.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Tom, most of the parts on mine were Hk marked. You're right about the flutes; although I only shot surplus or steel cased ammo and never had an issue.

Personally, I would pass on the PTR/Hk/SAR and get a SCAR17 if you can afford it. Huge step forward in weight, ergonomics and recoil management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom