• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    dropped by Bart's sports world yesterday and saw an Enfield. was priced a little steep for my wallet but was interesting in that it had written on it, United States Poperty, or something to that effect.
    If i was interested in getting my feet wet with an enfield, what should i expect to pay for a half decent banger? something a bit nicer than a canoe paddle.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    these days i think a nice no4 is running around $350+

i havent really priced them in a while though, and there is no commercial supply so prices are gonna vary wildly.

your best bet is to scour gunbroker, guns america and auction arms for a few days.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    "United States Property" identifies it as a Rifle No. 4 Mk. I *, made by Savage for the British, under the Lend Lease program.

The "Number Four Mark One Star" was the North American production version of the Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk I. They were made in the U.S. by Savage, and in Canada at Long Branch. Only the Savage rifles have the "United States Property" mark. It incorporates a few simplifications to speed production. I believe most if not all have two groove barrels (mine does).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    "United States Property" identifies it as a Rifle No. 4 Mk. I *, made by Savage for the British, under the Lend Lease program.

The "Number Four Mark One Star" was the North American production version of the Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk I. They were made in the U.S. by Savage, and in Canada at Long Branch. Only the Savage rifles have the "United States Property" mark. It incorporates a few simplifications to speed production. I believe most if not all have two groove barrels (mine does).

Correct though there were non-asterisk Savage guns which are a little rarer but not hugely scarce.

Probably inferior to a good UK made enfield but still a nice piece of history. Price should be around $300 to $400 depending on condition for an asterisk gun. Add $50 or so for a non asterisk.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    You can get a Garand for $800.

In fact, you can get a Garand for $549 delivered to your door.

that's what had me wondering about the price. i figured it was some super rare one. other than being in fairly clean shape it didn't strike me as an $800 rifle.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Well, if it has the little oil bottle in the butt compartment, that's worth an extra $5 right there.

But if there's evidence it was the personal rifle of Private Tommy Atkins himself, well, it could be priceless.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I have a real nice No4 Mk II I will sell for $400, with bayo $425.
    Will include dies and brass for $450, with Bayonet $475

Last edited:

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    dropped by Bart's sports world yesterday and saw an Enfield. was priced a little steep for my wallet but was interesting in that it had written on it, United States Poperty, or something to that effect.
    If i was interested in getting my feet wet with an enfield, what should i expect to pay for a half decent banger? something a bit nicer than a canoe paddle.
    At the last Annapolis gun show, I paid $950 for a 1955 Fazakerley type 4 mk II, Irish contract. It was new, unfired and still in cosmoline and brown paper. It had no bayonet or sling. I later bought a blade Bayonet and sling (both marked 1955) for a total of $28. I paid for nostalgia as Fazakerleys were made not 5 miles from where I was born and raised. In addition, the Irish contract Enfields, for no practical reason (other, than they are newer, mostly unused and were made under peacetime (!) conditions). The prices on Enfields have been climbing at a steady pace. I plan to unwrap mine and shoot it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I paid $400 for my No4Mk1 but I was money drunk at the time comming back from a flea market.
    Mine is I'd say beat up an was really worth more like $325-$350 but again I had cash in my pocket and I wanted to pop a tag :)

303 brit is almost $1 a round and of the 3 brands I've tried, Herters was the best. I'm going to start reloading for mine though to make it worth while.

I really like the one I have cause it has the machined flip up micrometer rear sight to adjust elevation. I really like shooting it and with the rear peep, it's a favorite to have others shoot too. You need a special tool to pull the bolt apart. Other than cleaning the bolt, I've not taken anything else on it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom