• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I took the "Introduction to Skeet Shooting" class out at Loch Raven last night. LOVED IT!

I currently own a Remington 12GA Model 11 (1929), an old Mossberg 20GA bolt action, and a .410 single shot break open.

I'm planning to use the Model 11. But it has no choke.

What do I have to know/do?

What kind of choke should I get? How/where do I get it installed?

(Sorry for the dumb noob questions.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your M11 has no choke ? Has the bbl been cut down ? Or do you mean than it has a fixed choke, rather than threaded for chike tubes ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    M11's are fine guns. They are liscensed copies of Browning Auto-5's . Back in the decade they had a moderate following for skeet shooting, and Rem made skeet specific versions. Among field model guns, the 26in Improved Cylnder guns would be most suitable for skeet usage.

What is the configuration of your M11 ? It's a good news/ bad news for you, but in recent yesrs M11s are becoming collectable. Do you want to recreate a Skeet Model 11 on purpose, or just shoot some skeet ?

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I just want to shoot skeet.
    :)

I'd like to use my own gun. (As opposed to a rented one) But I don't want to sink a ton of money in it until I'm sure I want to stick with it.

Attachments

• P7251425.jpg
      P7251425.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 370
    • P7251421.JPG
      P7251421.JPG
      63.8 KB · Views: 364

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have the Rem. 1100 and it didn't accept add-on chokes...probably was fixed at Cylinder...who knows. I went to Gun Connection and ordered a Remchoke barrel for $250. It came with 3 chokes, Mod, IC and Full.

Last edited:

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACTUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO if your going to want to get in on the ground running doing skeet/trap the Stoger Condor Longfowler was highly rated in Field and Stream. for the cost of an 870 or anything else this is the best and most econmical choice.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger-condor.php

screw in chokes on everything but the 410's single trigger, grade A or AA walnut, extractors instead of ejectors. and i would suggest the 26-28 model. check it out and PM me what you think.

my uncle has a Stoger SxS 20 that he has beat the crap out of for the past 15 years and its still ticking.

Love me some trap and skeet, i still use my 870 now but this is on my list after oct 1 as priorites will change

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I'm glad you enjoyed the course. Mark does a nice job with it.

Shooting skeet with a full choke is a challenge. You gotta be right on them. Improved cylinder or skeet is the way to go. Perhaps you could find an IP barrel for your Remington.

An 870 would work for sure. Shooting skeet with a pump is fun!

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    ACTUALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO if your going to want to get in on the ground running doing skeet/trap the Stoger Condor Longfowler was highly rated in Field and Stream. for the cost of an 870 or anything else this is the best and most economical choice.

I like that!

Going to Chantilly Saturday. I guess I know what I'm looking for now.
    :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're not going to find a Remchoke bbl for an M11 , since they were discontinued in 1947 .

If you want to make a project on purpose , keep an eye on the various bbl dealers for another origional bbl , that had been aftermarket converted to a Cutts Compemsator back in the day. That will have reduced it's collector value such that in good conscience you could have that cut off , and then threaded for choke tubes , while leaving the origional bbl non-bubba'ed.

OR , accept it as it is , and take up Trap instead. Bunchs of casual trap shooters use full choked , field stocked guns.

OR , get an entry level skeet-ish gun of your choice , and use the M11 as a full choked field gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom