• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    So I'm in the market for a glock! I rented some diff models 17, 19, 22 in a 9mm and .40 cal. So I'm torn bre the 22 and 23. I know they look pretty much the same minus the 22 being a little larger. Also I'm not sure if I want the 9 or 40. The gen4 9mm was broken so I tried the 40. Now my dilemma is I want another 9 because I only have 1 9mm pistol and several .40's. looking for some opinions on both. I figure worst comes to worst I get both! Hehehe what y'all think?

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    The 23 is the same size as the 19. I have both. To me, the 19 is easier to shoot, less snappy. But they are both fine guns.

Decide on what caliber you want and then make your decision...

Jamie

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Come on, really? 9mm v 40 again? :)

Here's my 2 cents. Ballistically it doesn't matter, I'd give a slight edge to the 40, but the recoil is slightly more, so equal. Until about 5-10 years ago, it was a little harder to find 40 as commonly and in great variety of round types, now they've caught up. This is in a large part due to so many police departments going to the 40. Cost wise, .40 isn't that much more than 9mm, but the nine still has the advantage here. And in competitive shooting, the vast majority of shooters shoot 9mm over 40; it's mostly because of the power factor. Go with one caliber, either one; just pick. Especially since you are talking Glock, one caliber will let you have more interchangeability, especially where it matters... magazines.

If you are a LEO and your duty weapon is a 40, definitely go with 40 for your personal weapons; same is true if your family are cops and that's their duty rig. All other things being equal, I still think 9mm has the edge in price, availability, it's NATO cool, and who knows, that one or two extra rounds might make all the difference in the world.

Enjoy either. :)

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I traded a guy an EoTech for the 19. I love it. I was going to buy a 23 but I didn't like the snappiness of the .40 and ammo was more expensive.

waffle king

You serious Clark?
    Feb 7, 2013
    SoMD
    I have a 22 gen 4 and love it. You can always go with the 22 .40 and pick up an extra 9mm barrel to drop in the frame.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Buy da G22 in 40. Then when ya get it back buy an "upper" (complete slide and barrel) in 9mm. It's the same frame. And you can also buy a .357 SIG barrel that will drop in your .40 upper.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    That's not a bad idea, I wasn't even aware the barrels were changeable. I was leaning towards the .40 I like having the options of diff calibers. I was more curious about the difference in the models over the calibers. Probably gonna go with the gen 4 mod 22 .40 cal! Thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you don't need concealability, then bigger is usually better but i get a full grip on the 23/32/19 models and love my gen 4 g32. the grip circumference is the same between the regular and compact sizes.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I carried a 17 on duty and still carry a 26 occasionally. Our dept. issue ammo was Federal Hydro-Shock. In 9mm, that was plenty of stopping power.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    I used 22 and 23 glocks. Carried both, 23 was sweet. 9mm cheaper ammo , stopping power just as good as .40

jonathanglock

Oct 8, 2011
    Smithsburg, MD
    barrels aren't quite interchangeable. You can go from .40 to 9, but not 9 to .40. but if you do go .40 to 9 like i have done(one of the things that sold me on a glock), you need a .40 to 9 conversion barrel. a regular 9mm barrel in a .40 glock will not fit quite right, it will be sloppy. you will also need 9mm magazines, and 9mm ammunition. Like the above poster said, you can also drop in a .357 sig barrel, or put a.22lr conversion slide on it, like i have done. So, 1 gun, only fill out the paper work once, and wait 7 - 70 days, and it's yours. Then have the 9mm conversion barrel, .357sig barrel, and .22lr conversion slide shipped to your house. If you really want to do it right, you can purchase the complete 9mm slide and barrel, but my conversion barrel works just fine. 4 guns 1 FFL transfer. my two cents. oh, and as far as size goes, i have big hands so i like the full size, glock 22 or 17, and the magazine capacity, but 9mm, .40, and .357sig magazines are all interchangeable. If you have a glock 27 for example you can put a 23 or 22 magazine in it, it will stick out a bit, but it will work.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Some issues with Gen4. Recoil springs erratic ejection or consistent ejection to forehead. And some people prefer buying "proven" stuff as opposed to newer flashier stuff.

waffle king

You serious Clark?
    Feb 7, 2013
    SoMD
    Some issues with Gen4. Recoil springs erratic ejection or consistent ejection to forehead. And some people prefer buying "proven" stuff as opposed to newer flashier stuff.

I know the early gen 4 models had spring issues, but I think glock solved that. However, I have been plucked in the forehead on more than one occasion with some. 40 brass! Still one of my favorite guns falling only slightly behind my M&P.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co

Nothing is flashy about a glock..... The new gen 3 have a few gen 4 parts so you mind as well buy the gen 4

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I traded a guy an EoTech for the 19. I love it. I was going to buy a 23 but I didn't like the snappiness of the .40 and ammo was more expensive.

I never get the ".40 cal is snappy." To me, its no different than shooting a polymer 45.

Ammo might be more expensive at my current 'bulk' target price of .40 cents a round, but then again I havent seen reasonable 9mm ammo for sale in 6 months, at least without 2, 3 box limits.

I head up to PA and buy a whopping 250 rounds with a plastic ammo can every month or so for 100 bucks plus tax, and there are always stacks and stacks of these cans for sale in this shops inventory. Can't say the same about every other caliber

Wal mart had the best deal 40 target ammo at 35 cents a.round, but I gave up on the wal mart sporting goods walk of fail months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom