• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisondice

Ultimate Member
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hagerstown
    My father is insistent on getting a 22 caliber target pistol before the ban. He doesn't care that he can get one later, but is morally opposed to getting fingerprinted. Please school me with recommendations for quasi accurate paper punching. Money not an issue within reason:)

Thanks, Bison

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Two of the most popular choices for new guns are Ruger 22/45 Target and Browning Buckmark. Picking between them is Chevy versus Ford. I own both. The Browning is way easier to reassemble. Both are nice. Either will serve you well.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto on that. I own and shoot Brownings competitively. I have also owned both Rugers and S&Ws. Just depends on personal taste as much as anything. I prefer Brownings because you can spend less money on them to make them match capable guns than Rugers.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I have and like the S&W mod 41. When you buy this pistol there is NO little BS mods to "make it right". It is a good pistol ready to go from the factory and they have been around for a long time in high level competition . They come with eater the 5.5 or the 7 " barrel I have both and like the 5.5 better .

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have and like the S&W mod 41. When you buy this pistol there is NO little BS mods to "make it right". It is a good pistol ready to go from the factory and they have been around for a long time in high level competition . They come with eater the 5.5 or the 7 " barrel I have both and like the 5.5 better .

I own 3 Model 41s and they are by far the best rimfire pistols I have ever shot. We shoot Bullseye at a small club here in Indiana and when we show up we tend to here, damn there is those 41 boys again. Look around before you by, I picked up one last Dec from the white plains pawn and bought a pre 78 in 99% two mags and both barrels for 635.00 out the door. I still LMAO at that bargain.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    The Model 41 is very expensive though. What kind of modifications would need to be made to the other .22s to get them up to par? Also, which of these would be the best for teaching a kid how to shoot?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For the money I really like the S&W 22A. Under $300. Full length rail with sights standard. Extra barrels/configurations under $200 more like $125 average. You do need to keep up with the buffers but most everyone who has shot mine has gone out and bought one.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If money isn't an issue...

If money isn't an issue, screw everything mentioned above;) Go straight to dedicated design competition guns. IZH35 is ~$600 used. Hammerli/Pardini/etc go up from there. Note: They will all be 5 shot mags. But for paper punching there is no comparison to the ultra low borelines & accuracy competition guns achieve. Poor results will never be the guns fault;)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Buy the S&W mdl 41 w/ the 5-1/2" barrel.

You will NOT be dissatisfied.

My beloved mdl 41 shoots everything extremely well, except for Eley Match ammo. (It does NOT like that stuff!!! Heck, it won't even cycle that crap!)

Best $200.00 (not a typo!!) I ever spent!

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Two of the most popular choices for new guns are Ruger 22/45 Target and Browning Buckmark. Picking between them is Chevy versus Ford. I own both. The Browning is way easier to reassemble. Both are nice. Either will serve you well.

Saw this in a gun shop recently - http://www.eabco.com/Ruger_Mk_III_Speed_Strip.html for the Rugers and it really makes disassembly much easier. Here is the short vid on it.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I just picked up a used mkII slabside 6.88 inch barrel and it is absolutely incredible. I cant even come close to doing what my mkII does with a centerfire handgun. That being said ive never shot another .22 hangun besides the walther p22 which I wasnt all that impressed with.

If you get the ruger I would go with a 6.88 or 5.5 inch bull/slabside barrel. My 6.88 inch slabside looks really long and is heavy but balances nicely right under the trigger guard.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Years back when I was building my first 1911 I sent the slide Al Marvel (APG member) to mill for BoMar sights. Great work. Anyway, I told him I wanted a Douglas barrel fitted to my bullseye gun, a Ruger 5.5" Mark II. He basically told me he would be taking my money since every Ruger auto 22 barrel he ever tested was as accurate as the aftermarkets. Here is what he advised, "Get 50 rounds of every make 22 ammo you can get your hands on. Sit at a bench with bags and test each make ammo you found. You'll find any good ammo will shoot very well and a few will be exceptional." World class pistolsmith testimony convinced me. I don't know how many rounds through that pistol and it still groups tight where you point it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom