• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Soooo, thinking about sending the DPMS 308 on down the road.

Lots of good points to both the SIG 716 and SCAR 17.

Looking to hear your tales of good, bad and ugly.

Tell me which is better and why. If you don't know but want to pretend you're in the know, be kind enough to start with either..."once upon a time" or "this is no shit" that way I'll know you are just taking a stab at why you like one better than the other.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have the Sig 716 and very happy with it. Never has had a hiccup and more accurate than me. The stock trigger is not great, however it has improved a little over time, still thinking of replacing which is easy enough. Not a huge fan of the quad rails, getting ready to pull the trigger on the Lancer carbon replacements. If had to make the decision to purchase again would absolutely do it.

Just my .02

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have shot both of them, the Sig isn't bad by any means, but the SCAR is just so nice to shoot. Dumping a mag, aimed fire - soo nice.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've never touched the Sig, but I have fired the Scar. If you can afford it, the Scar is an excellent platform. The recoil is very light for the caliber.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I have the Sig 716 and very happy with it. Never has had a hiccup and more accurate than me. The stock trigger is not great, however it has improved a little over time, still thinking of replacing which is easy enough. Not a huge fan of the quad rails, getting ready to pull the trigger on the Lancer carbon replacements. If had to make the decision to purchase again would absolutely do it.

Just my .02

I believe newer 18" versions include a "match-type" DMR. If OP wants to do a trigger on the SCAR, and he should given how nice the Geissele is, it will add and additional $300 to the cost of the rifle.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    SCAR costs too much but does have its advantages. It's lighter than the Sig. Minimal recoil and muzzle rise. Some of that's due to the factory brake, which you'd have to swap out (or pin the stock). Simple parts and takedown. I like mine alot. Negatives; gets expensive after mags, optic and trigger upgrade.

Don't know much about the Sig. It was heavier than I wanted in a .308 so I didn't get much further than that.

Might want to look at the GII Recon too. Don't know about it's reliability yet but it's a promising design, light and relatively affordable (~$1250 - $1450).

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Them FNs is nice!

Haven't fired a Sig in 7.62 but didn't like the ergonomics on the 5.56 Sig.

But if you find both comfortable then you can't go wrong with either.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I have a dpms lr308 and it's good to go on body target (8 ring 3 shot group) at 500 years with the leopold on it. Have a lot less than the other two. I also have an fnar 20 inch heavy that is the most accurate 308 semi I've ever seen. Don't like the look but it is a great shooter.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    There's allegedly going to be the commercial launch of the civilian Mk20 SSR this year. 20" SCAR 17 with the long receiver and precision stock; cost likely over $5k, but if it uses the same barrel extension as the mil version then you're looking at sub MOA accuracy out past 1000 meters. Also has the Geissele trigger included so there's that...

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Soooo, thinking about sending the DPMS 308 on down the road.

Lots of good points to both the SIG 716 and SCAR 17.

Looking to hear your tales of good, bad and ugly.

Tell me which is better and why. If you don't know but want to pretend you're in the know, be kind enough to start with either..."once upon a time" or "this is no shit" that way I'll know you are just taking a stab at why you like one better than the other.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

I own both. :rolleyes:

I would say go with the SCAR17 hands down. The 716 is very heavy in comparison and feels awkwardly front heavy. The trigger on neither of them out of the box is very good, but the SIG broke a little cleaner. I've since replaced both, the SCAR with a Timney and the SIG with a RRA two stage.
    The SCAR wins in the recoil department by a long shot. Also, the FN mags are probably the highest quality of any rifle I own, far superior to the flexible MAGPUL mags I use with the SIG.

I'm not putting the down the SIG, it is extremely well made from a fit and finish standpoint, but if you have the extra $1k I would suggest grabbing the SCAR instead.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    in all the times I've ever seen or fired a scar 17 they have been accurate and have not hiccupped. No malfunctions even with reloads and .308 gas guns can be EXTREMELY finicky.

No experience with the sig

I would go with the SCAR

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Neither. Parts are not readily available able for either platform. Of the 2, the SCAR.

Stay with the AR10/DPMS platform. If you are having problems do the right upgrades and you will love it.

If not I say choose the HK9X platform. Parts a plenty. No so much for the FAL or M1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom