• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Hi guys,
    I've got a 10.5" pistol with a sig brace that I want to turn into an SBR.
    Is this possible in Maryland because of the state's minimum 29" rule for SBRs?
    Will the OAL with a standard 6 position stock be long enough?
    Im thinking of using this DD stock:
    https://danieldefense.com/daniel-def...ock-black.html
    I was doing some rough measuring against my 16" carbine with a 6 position stock all the way out and it looks like it is damn close to 29" or slightly over....
    Anyone out there SBR'ed a 10.5" too? What did u do to make it legal?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Best,
    Jim
    Ps - my flash hider is not pinned or welded and I did not include that length in my measurements mentioned above. I guess I could which would give me another 1.5-2" or so...
    Is that what a lot of people do?
    PPS - no trust, I'm just going to be patient

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    With a standard M-4 6 position collapsible, you'll end up around 29.75'' to the end of the threads. No need to pin/weld a flash hider.

Thx - does the OAL for the buttstock include any pad/cushion?
    Also without a trust, what would be t he expected wait time? I looked through the thread on nfa wait times but most respondents I saw had trusts.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Thx - does the OAL for the buttstock include any pad/cushion?
    Also without a trust, what would be t he expected wait time? I looked through the thread on nfa wait times but most respondents I saw had trusts.

If the pad is permanent part of the stock should be OK. Not sure if you can ''make an SBR'' without a trust or some form of corporation. I'm just not sure.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can do a Form 1 as an individual.

But you need to get CLEO sign off first, then send it in. Also need fingerprints and photo.

So add some time and expense to the process.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If the pad is permanent should be OK. Not sure if you can ''make an SBR'' without a trust or some form of corporation. I'm just not sure.

You can do it as an individual. You cannot use the efile w/o a trust, so the wait will be much longer.

Almost cheaper and a lot easier, in the long run, to go trust. That's why so many do it that way.

I bought my trust from 199trust , on sale for $59. About the same a you pay for fingerprints and photos.

Good luck. NFA stuff is fun :D

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    You can do it as an individual. You cannot use the efile w/o a trust, so the wait will be much longer.

I bought my trust from 199trust , on sale for $59. About the same a you pay for fingerprints and photos.

Good luck. NFA stuff is fun :D

Plus, with a trust, it's buy once cry once. With individual, it's finger prints and photos and trips to the MSP for each sign-off if I'm not mistaken.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    If the pad is permanent should be OK.

I've often wondered about this as many collapsible stocks (eg, Magpul) have screw on buttplates. Kinda of a silly rule if so since the stock can be separated much quicker/easier that removing the two screws holding the buttplate on, but then there's a lot of silliness involved in the NFA.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    If the pad is permanent should be OK.

Citation? There's absolutely no rules with respect to how buttpads are attached (for the love of god, nobody write an effing letter to the ATF) that I'm aware of. When people assume things it just confuses people.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I've often wondered about this as many collapsible stocks (eg, Magpul) have screw on buttplates. Kinda of a silly rule if so since the stock can be separated much quicker/easier that removing the two screws holding the buttplate on, but then there's a lot of silliness involved in the NFA.

None of it makes sense. You could duct tape a bag of doritos on the end of your stock and it would be legal by ATF standards...that is, until some arse hat writes a letter to the ATF asking for clarification......

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    None of it makes sense. You could duct tape a bag of doritos on the end of your stock and it would be legal by ATF standards...that is, until some arse hat writes a letter to the ATF asking for clarification......

Whoa, good thing you said something. I was just about ready to write a letter to ask about about potato chips as I hadn't thought of Doritos:).

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    My point was, if it is a permanent part of the butstock, it's part of the but stock. WTF?

If you deleted the word "permanent" from your post it would be OK. Permanent implies it can't be removed - there are not regulations governing that which I'm aware of.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ATF does not really care about COAL.

That is an MD thing.

But you are fine, UNLESS you get caught with the rifle assembled and the butt plate removed, as you have then made a (currently) illegal MD firearm.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Let's just all hope that Engage's lawsuit proves successful. If it does, then I am going to be making mods to my SBR systems promptly.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    quick question about SBR's and trusts.. for those of you that have supressors and SBRs, do you use the same trust for all of your class III items or seperate trusts for different items?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom