• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 8M3

Feb 27, 2007
    Elkton
    I am interested in building or having an sbr built, but I don't know much about the paperwork process. I did a half assed search but didn't find what I was looking for. I was hoping someone could give me a step by step on acquiring a stamp.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am interested in building or having an sbr built, but I don't know much about the paperwork process. I did a half assed search but didn't find what I was looking for. I was hoping someone could give me a step by step on acquiring a stamp.

Paging JeepDriver.....:cool:

PM him and he'll hook you up.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Oh....and welcome to the forum.

(hope you'll pardon the inside joke....DD214 and jpkmd will be here shortly to berate me, I'm sure.)

8M3

Feb 27, 2007
    Elkton

(hope you'll pardon the inside joke....DD214 and jpkmd will be here shortly to berate me, I'm sure.)

Thanks, and I guess I'll let it slide this time.

There was a thread with sbr info in the Maryland forum of ar15.com, but I can't find it now. I remember it was pretty detailed, it probably should have been made a sticky.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    All my SBR's and Suppressors have been done through a Trust.

I've found it was the best and quickest way to get it done here in Maryland. If we were in a Free State you would be able to go to the sherriff's office and have them sign off quickly, but in Maryland the State Police take 2 weeks or longer, and you have to go to Jessup.

So, Step 1, Download Quicken WillMaker (~$40) and follow the steps for setting up a Revocable Living Trust.

Step 2, Enter your NFA items. (This can be changed later, not a big deal)

Step 3, Send the lower off to Orion Arms for engraving (name, city and state required on all SBR's & SBS's)

Step 4, Fill out your Form 1 and mail it in with your $200!

It's fairly easy, just PM me with any questions.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Sorry folks, but I have to ask...what are SBR's amd SBS's?

Short
    Barreled
    Rifles

Any rifle with a barrel with a length of 16" or less (unless a flash suppressor is permentaly attached)

and

Short
    Barreled
    Shotguns

A shotgun with a barrel length of 18" or less.

Both require Federal approval to manfacturer and a $200 tax stamp. Thay can be built be you at home by using the ATF Form 1.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Sorry folks, but I have to ask...what are SBR's amd SBS's?
    The influence of the elastomer such as SBS and SBR and their mixtures on the structure and rheological properties of blown bitumen B 65 blends, was studied. The crude oil denoted as SEB (Soviet Export Blend) was used to obtain the B 65 sample. Ten PMB samples were produced by modifying the bitumen with the so called polyfunctional additives (PA) which were produced by mixing SBR- and SBS-elastomer and 25/75, 50/50 and 75/25 SBR/SBS mixtures with a fatty acid distillation residue. PA contents in PMB amounted to either 3 or 5 wt %. The PMB samples were obtained by a simple stirring operation (a usual stirrer with 300 r.p.m. and represented the stable homogeneous mixtures. Some standardized examinations and the determination of the dynamic mechanical properties were used for the characterization of the PMB samples. SBR-elastomer lowered the Fraass breaking point slightly more than SBS-elastomer. In PMB samples which contained more SBS- than SBR-elastomer the softening point increase was the main cause for the broader interval of plasticity. If SBR-elastomer prevailed, Fraass point decrease contributed more to the greater broadness of the interval of plasticity. SBS-elastomer caused a higher increase of the softening point than SBR-elastomer. The elastic recovery measurements showed that even 5 wt % of SBR-elastomer in PMB was not enough to reach the 50 % value. This important demand could be satisfied only if the elastomer part of PA contained 50 % or more of SBS-elastomer. The master curves of the dynamic viscosity or the storage shear modulus versus reduced frequency were used to examine the influence of the SBR/SBS ratio in PMB samples on their viscoelastic parameters. The zero shear storage modulus G'[o], value of G' at 20 and 60 °C, the glass transition temperature as a loss modulus peak temperature (G peak) and the inflection point of turndown ofthe modulus G'at the glass transition region, as well as the flow activation energies and viscosities were determined. Compared to SBR-elastomer SBS-elastomer caused a greater increase ofviscosity and flow activation energies. The presented results showed that a balanced improvement in both the low-and high-temperature thermomechanical properties of PMB was attainable by addition of mixtures of SBS- and SBR-elastomer. :innocent0 :D

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Can a non FFL joe blow manufacture his own suppressors/silencers as long as they're registered and taxed in the same manner described for the SBR? I'm not talking about selling them, mostly just for personal use.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

Welcome to the forum 8M3.

<lol> Norton, we need a new stat for the forum, one that allows us to track who is the first to officially greet a new member, a title that is proudly displayed on the Home Page.

DD214, any thoughts on how we could do this?

Is there an option/check box (one use only) that can be added to a first users post in the new posters forum that is visible to people.....first to do their best "Norton" impersonation toggles the radio button and it gets tallied?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Welcome to the forum 8M3.

<lol> Norton, we need a new stat for the forum, one that allows us to track who is the first to officially greet a new member, a title that is proudly displayed on the Home Page.

DD214, any thoughts on how we could do this?

Is there an option/check box (one use only) that can be added to a first users post in the new posters forum that is visible to people.....first to do their best "Norton" impersonation toggles the radio button and it gets tallied?

Right on cue.....:lol:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Can a non FFL joe blow manufacture his own suppressors/silencers as long as they're registered and taxed in the same manner described for the SBR? I'm not talking about selling them, mostly just for personal use.

I believe so, yes. You have to get permission first and the stamp before you can even start though.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks novus, you're a knowledgeable dude. I appreciate you spending the time to share what you know.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Yes you are suppose to do no work until you get your approval. Kinda stupid if you are doing a project pay your $200 then find out you can't do the work anyway due to either skills or available parts. I did my Sten Mk. III up to a point where everything was working but not fully assembled. Knowing if I did'nt get approved I would just have to get a 16" barrel, so i proceeded with a few tests with blanks in my basement :eek: Of course when the wife was'nt home and under some sheets to deaden the sound. When I was happy with it I did the 200 bucks waited for response (2 weeks I was extreamely happy) and then I proceeded with final welding, painting and barrel installation.

TRapture

Last edited:

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Trapture - hey that's a neat story about the stengun. I've been thinking about getting into a project like that. How do you build your own sten gun? Mind sharing some of the details. Pics would be great too, thanks.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Pics would be great too, thanks.
    :thumbsup: You asked for it you got it :)
    Sten1.jpg
    -> Typical Parts Kit (Saw Cut in my opinion the best type)
    TubeWsightrail03.jpg
    -> My Reciever with a Pre-Mounted Sight rail and 80% Complete.
    Sten001.jpg
    -> Bead Blasted and looking brand new!
    Sten008.jpg
    -> All GunCote'ed Up and looking dark and mean!

Take note -> The silver rivets in the front is a stipulation I put in my SBR paperwork to allow me to replace / update the sten barrel at a later time. In case I do find a new manufactured barrel when this barrel wears out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom