• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No, you engrave the receiver because that is the firearm, therefore the SBR.

I have an entire vault full of NFA here, and I keep a firearm attorney on retainer.

The barrel is not a firearm. (Though much of the world does define the barrel as the functional part.)

It’s an arbitrary designation, really. The gun won’t function without a barrel, upper, or lower.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    No, you engrave the receiver because that is the firearm, therefore the SBR.

I have an entire vault full of NFA here, and I keep a firearm attorney on retainer.

The barrel is not a firearm. (Though much of the world does define the barrel as the functional part.)
    form 1 Barrel engraving is pretty common with certain types of firearms. Or ones where collectors want to be able to return the firearm to original condition without Form 1 markings.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It’s an arbitrary designation, really. The gun won’t function without a barrel, upper, or lower.

I can shoot you with a barrel, bullet, and a pointy object(not that I ever would...). I can't shoot you with just a receiver. :rolleyes:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    form 1 Barrel engraving is pretty common with certain types of firearms. Or ones where collectors want to be able to return the firearm to original condition without Form 1 markings.

Thanks for the explanation. I always wondered why anyone would want to mark a barrel.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for the explanation. I always wondered why anyone would want to mark a barrel.
    Yeah all my form 1 firearms have receiver engravings, personally. But if I had something that theoretically was not imported anymore and replacement barrels were available, I would be tempted to pull the original barrel. Then file the form 1, chop the new barrel, engrave the new barrel, etc. then once I’ve had my fun I could put the old barrel back on, remove it from the registry, etc. Sell it without reducing value.

I think it also used to just be the thing people did for whatever reason. Some myth about police hassling you if you bring your NFA item across state lines in a non NFA configuration but with the engraving on the receiver. Since every cop I know goes to the range with a spotting scope for long rang NFA engraving inspection and 20 pairs of handcuffs, I can see why folks were worried back then . . .

I think for awhile people used to also be hesitant to engrave polymer. I admit I don’t know the legality of that myself, as all my NFA items are made of metal.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Barrel engraving due to SBRing seems to be somewhat common for the FN SCAR crowd. Curiously everybody seems to be concerned with resale value on their SCARs. Tempting to read into that. We tend to think of everything in terms of ARs.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Barrel engraving due to SBRing seems to be somewhat common for the FN SCAR crowd. Curiously everybody seems to be concerned with resale value on their SCARs. Tempting to read into that. We tend to think of everything in terms of ARs.
    Yeah SCAR Heavies are a big one. Especially now that they are making them domestically and the original import model isn’t being brought in. Unsure if the imported version has better resale or not, as I am not in the market.

Edit: sorry OP, we seem to have caused your thread to meander off topic into trivialities.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Regarding barrel length on ARs, I started out shorter and ended up going back to a 14.5” because it was more pleasant to shoot. The difference in muzzle blast is appreciable over a couple hundred round session.

AR barrels are pretty cheap anyways and easy to swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom