• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    So,
    I am planning to go thru the SBR route and I am looking at the best overall barrel length.
    From everything I have read 556 in a length of 11.5-14.5 can be accurate at a much longer distance then a barrel less then 11.5.
    I was planning on going with a 10x scope with a offset red dot for close quarters target acquisition.

Can you change the barrel length after you get the approval.

I welcome all input and thank everyone for taking the time to school me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So,
    I am planning to go thru the SBR route and I am looking at the best overall barrel length.
    From everything I have read 556 in a length of 11.5-14.5 can be accurate at a much longer distance then a barrel less then 11.5.
    I was planning on going with a 10x scope with a offset red dot for close quarters target acquisition.

Can you change the barrel length after you get the approval.

I welcome all input and thank everyone for taking the time to school me.

You can put multiple uppers on the same SBR lower.

Very easy to return to the original configuration. You can do a 10.5” for close in work, 12.5/14.5” for more distance.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You can put multiple uppers on the same SBR lower.

Very easy to return to the original configuration. You can do a 10.5” for close in work, 12.5/14.5” for more distance.

Yes, and you can register them all at the same time or add one or more afterwards. Just a change letter is required.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ask yourself, what is the purpose for this rife?

An SBR, in essence, is an entry weapon. It is made and designed for CQB. You should not be encumbered by velocity standards. An SBR is not made for long range applications. Velocity, in my view, is not a factor.

The only other consideration for an SBR is home defense. Either way, it is a rifle you will want to be able to move and deploy in tight quarters. As a home defense weapon, you will probably want to suppress it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ask yourself, what is the purpose for this rife?

An SBR, in essence, is an entry weapon. It is made and designed for CQB. You should not be encumbered by velocity standards. An SBR is not made for long range applications. Velocity, in my view, is not a factor.

The only other consideration for an SBR is home defense. Either way, it is a rifle you will want to be able to move and deploy in tight quarters. As a home defense weapon, you will probably want to suppress it.
    I believe a suppressed SBR to be an almost ideal HD gun.

Cwarnick

Oct 16, 2020
    11.5 - 13.7 would be my vote for SBR. beyond that i would pin and weld to 16" and no stamp.
    otherwise just keep the brace, put that tax money towards a good brace and muzzle device.
    Or just get a can thats 30 cal capable and you can cross platform it with 556/300blk/308

i personally have a 13.9" 556 and a 10" 300 blk. both pistols with sba4/sba3.

i would get a can before an sbr stamp.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have the cans I need for any build I need.

I want a SBR for home defense and oh course for target shooting

10.5” will work with certain stocks. With a can it comes out to 17”…very manageable.

Cwarnick

Oct 16, 2020
    an a5 intermediate buffer like vltor, solgw, and bcm will take some of the harshness out of it similar to a rifle buffer, but still keep carbine stock compatibility. helps with the short barrel gas issues.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    an a5 intermediate buffer like vltor, solgw, and bcm will take some of the harshness out of it similar to a rifle buffer, but still keep carbine stock compatibility. helps with the short barrel gas issues.

…and are a little longer to squeeze out more OAL.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are 2 ways to go about it. Either keep the original upper with you, or send a "please amend my form 1 with these additional configurations" letter, and swap whatever uppers you want whenever you want. I send a letter with a list of the uppers I might swap to, and just keep a copy of the letter with a copy of my NFA forms in my range bag. You are only required to Notify rhe ATF if you change the configuration permanently, and there is a bit of grey what that means, swapping uppers at the range, swapping at home, etc. I just mail a letter, cheap insurance IMO, and i can just keep my SBR lower on whatever upper I want. https://www.guntrustguru.com/how-do-i-change-the-registered-configuration-of-my-short-barreled-rifle.html

If you are stuck with the 29" OAL thing, that is a 10.5 or larger. A 10.5 is a fine 5.56' barrel length, especially with heavier bullets or suppressed. Ends up about the same size as a 14.5-16" AR with a can, and will clear a 9" handguard. 11.5 and 12.5 are hot now, they add about 100fps per inch in that range( 10.5 is about 2500FPS with 55gr), once you get to 14.5" there isn't a ton of barrel length saved for the $200 tax stamp vs 16". 300BO really starts to get fun under 10", and subs are awesome down to < 7" barrels, but they are too short for MD. 22 uppers are a ton of fun, especially suppressed, and you can tuck a 5" can in 7" handguards pretty well with a 4.5" barrel.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It isn't just velocity per se , it's the dwell time .

10.5 to 11.5 is modest change in velocity , but significant % increase in dwell time . This can allow for the gas system configuration to be more flexible and forgiving for better reliability and consistency .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom