• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    You would think Larry would use that rationale in his veto...

All of us rational people would think so. But rationality unfortunately seems to get lost in politics.

Didn't some OP point out a provision in the MD Constitution about the need for public comment before a bill can be passed? :shrug:

What? Living document? National emergency? Oh... Never mind.

Yup.... that pretty much sums it up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's currently the law of the land in Maryland. This bill removes that.

I am probably reading the bill wrong, but it looks like it reads effectively that if you leave a firearm, loaded or unloaded where a minor can get it and they hurt themselves or others you are held criminally liable.

The law may not be referenced in any civil trial.

Doesn't the law just make it so if you leave a loaded gun around and your kids hurts themselves or someone else they can do something to the person who should have known better than to trust their kid?

Or am I not reading how the different parts of the law mesh together (and it means ANY of the provisions of it can be true, not that all of them have to be, to be considered a crime under this law)?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks. So we should simply transfer long guns at home to minors with hunter safety permits because I don't think possession is outlawed (just access to mine). Many likely possess already. Just need to buy them their own cheapo Sentry Safes.

How does that work? They are still minors and if the worst interpretation of this bill is correct, they'd be banned under supervised possession. Hunters safety or no hunters safety. I am reading it as the adult who owns a firearm is liable if a minor accesses an unsecured firearm and harms themselves or others with it (not if they access it. Period.)

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    When I read it, the third reader had not been posted. So, it looks like the hunter safety was placed back into it. It is difficult to read some of the amendments as applied to text.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When I read it, the third reader had not been posted. So, it looks like the hunter safety was placed back into it. It is difficult to read some of the amendments as applied to text.

Yeah, tell me about it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. If I understand past law, 16-18 year olds could possess firearms, and those younger with hunter safety permits. Did this exclude own? I'm not sure. But I do think that many that were/are allowed to possess have been given long guns. Even if unclear before, they would criminalize minors in families that were unaware of the new legislation.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB646 is in the House now on the agenda that is being worked. (Message from the Senate: Introductory Senate Bills No. 40)

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Referred to House Judiciary. They can vote out of committee quickly or it can die there. I expect it to be available on the floor for action, sheep voting, and final passage for another box of Bloomberg cookies.

It's really tough to slow down the super majority machine that has been built in Maryland. They should file for a patent. **NEWS FLASH** Perpetual motion has been achieved in Maryland! Free stuff for all who vote for them.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Keep us posted. I’m trying to get the emails together to get folks to contact HJC ASAP. This is total bullcrap to be pushing these bills in an emergency deadline. But it’s md and par for the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Referred to House Judiciary. They can vote out of committee quickly or it can die there. I expect it to be available on the floor for action, sheep voting, and final passage for another box of Bloomberg cookies.

It's really tough to slow down the super majority machine that has been built in Maryland. They should file for a patent. **NEWS FLASH** Perpetual motion has been achieved in Maryland! Free stuff for all who vote for them.

I emailed Del Arikan to see if there has been any movement. Nothing back yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB646 is still in House JUD. We need to watch for additional JUD meeting announcements. So far, none are on the calendar yet apart from the morning meetings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom