SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Harvard Law Review article on the unconstitutionality of unfinished receiver bans.

https://www.harvard-jlpp.com/the-unconstitutionality-of-unfinished-receiver-bans-jamie-g-mcwilliam/

I'm going to write to Larry again today and make sure he gets a link to this article. It's very well written, has solid footing, is easy to understand, and really shows why home-built firearms are completely legal and within the protective scope of the 2nd Amendment.

The Harvard note in reality says that a law such as the one pending on Hogan’s desk is likely constitutional (ie, requiring serialization and background checks). Please don’t send that to Hogan’s office in the unlikely event his staff were to actually read it.

ETA: I don’t agree with the interpretation as it applies to the pending Marylandistan law.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The Harvard note in reality says that a law such as the one pending on Hogan’s desk is likely constitutional (ie, requiring serialization and background checks). Please don’t send that to Hogan’s office in the unlikely event his staff were to actually read it.

ETA: I don’t agree with the interpretation as it applies to the pending Marylandistan law.
    Hadn't gotten around to it yet, but you have to figure, coming from Harvard, it has some weight.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

Polymer lowers (which is the majority of handguns now) with no metal on the frame can get serialized, how again?

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Are you referring to me? That's exactly the opposite of who I am. I have gone to Annapolis, protested, testified, etc. It has never helped. Not even a little.

I'm also someone who fully intends to comply, even though the thought of complying with this travesty sickens me. I'd rather (fortunately in my case) take the small financial hit it's going to take to replace or engrave the guns I have than to not comply, somehow come up on the wrong end of the stick legally, (the chance is low, but never zero) and get my butt in a serious sling - I have no desire to be the test case.

I'll comply fully until it's time for me to leave the bid adieu to this state and move elsewhere where my rights won't be so seriously infringed.

truth , i feel the same . not looking to go to jail for a p80 .

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Polymer lowers (which is the majority of handguns now) with no metal on the frame can get serialized, how again?

You’re getting into the weeds more than Hogan’s staff will, but the note itself is focused on AR pattern rifles, not pistols. The revisions to the CFR may well make Marylandistan’s pending sb387 subject to attack on narrowly tailored but we aren’t there yet (and I don’t think focusing on P80’s is going to beneficial in this argument with MD pols).

I suggest you reread the note you posted with a focus on the application to existing laws in NY, CA, NV and CT. It is not helpful in application (although it does get the standards correct)

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    You’re getting into the weeds more than Hogan’s staff will, but the note itself is focused on AR pattern rifles, not pistols. The revisions to the CFR may well make Marylandistan’s pending sb387 subject to attack on narrowly tailored but we aren’t there yet (and I don’t think focusing on P80’s is going to beneficial in this argument with MD pols).

I suggest you reread the note you posted with a focus on the application to existing laws in NY, CA, NV and CT. It is not helpful in application (although it does get the standards correct)

So are you implying that we may have some hope with 80% aluminum AR lowers?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I saw this and thought it was a good quote, and certainly fitting for this situation. I'm not sure that this is Lysander Spooner's quote though - more often it is attributed to Jeffrey R. Snyder.

6f74e4744ba8ddb2bd0f498041f963b96dc96efdb4fc5ce2602eff21a4654339_1.jpg

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    John Dean "Jeff" Cooper (May 10, 1920 - September 25, 2006) USMC... is known as father of the "Modern Technique" of handgun shooting. Most firearm professionals consider him to be one of the 20th century's leading experts on the use and history of small arms.
    Quotation:
    "One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street ... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."

I saw this and thought it was a good quote, and certainly fitting for this situation. I'm not sure that this is Lysander Spooner's quote though - more often it is attributed to Jeffrey R. Snyder.

6f74e4744ba8ddb2bd0f498041f963b96dc96efdb4fc5ce2602eff21a4654339_1.jpg

This quote assumes that gun control is a public safety issue. Nothing could be further from the truth. Gun control is about furthering the left-wing agenda. The bottom line is they wish to control the population from cradle to grave and they know they cannot do it without disarming a substantial portion of the population. There are two elements to reaching their goal of Total control.

1 the destruction of the free market economy in the United States of America

2 eliminating any possibility of the citizens fighting back. Once those two goals are achieved they can complete their agenda.

The Democrats aren't stupid. They know exactly what they're doing. This is why gun advocacy groups who continue to use the public safety argument against gun control will never succeed because it's not a public safety issue. Until gun advocacy groups and second amendment supporters in general start pointing out the fact that this is not about Public safety but about control nothing will change. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. There are way too many gun owners with their heads in the sand to still think they're being persecuted because a bunch of criminals use firearms to commit crimes. Again, nothing could be further from the truth

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Historically, those who’ve been the loudest against gun control usually are for people control — how they identify, who they sleep with, what media they like, how they talk, what they do with their bodies, what they consume, where they live, what they look like (worries over things like white people becoming a minority…), etc… etc…

This is why I appreciate the work of groups like the Firearms Policy Coalition: https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...4758725_21-463 tsac WWH -amicus-FPC-final.pdf

116b8bdcf8e35978d42af0fe9fb593f1.jpg

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've long said that the US is turning into a giant HOA (Homeowner's Association) where citizens routinely rat each other out to "authorities" over trivial infractions rather than settle things like adults, and constantly try to control each other's behavior. Obviously I was being too lenient when I made the reference to HOA's. 1930's Germany seems more apt.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've long said that the US is turning into a giant HOA (Homeowner's Association) where citizens routinely rat each other out to "authorities" over trivial infractions rather than settle things like adults, and constantly try to control each other's behavior. Obviously I was being too lenient when I made the reference to HOA's. 1930's Germany seems more apt.

You are not wrong, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom