SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Signed up and summited written see you all down there, I will be parking in the navy stadium and bussing over there. ? Is mask still required since lord larry decreed that mask are note required in state buildings.

The legislative complex is under different rules and is still under a mandate. Masks are required inside.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here’s what the Judicial Proceedings Committee looks like now. This week is the first in nearly two years with testimony like this

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I have a system.

Arming the militia cannot ultimately be under the control of the Federal Government. That defeats the purpose of the 2A, as does registering firearms with the government, imo.

I'm a little slow. Are you suggesting that this proposed Bill amounts to mandatory back-door registration of these home-made firearms, using FFL's recordkeeping?

If a homemade, serialized gun is recovered at the scene of a crime, what are the practical steps that would be taken to trace it back to the owner? How long before the State sends a demand to all the State's FFL's that they turn over all their homemade gun serialization records?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm a little slow. Are you suggesting that this proposed Bill amounts to mandatory back-door registration of these home-made firearms, using FFL's recordkeeping?

Yes, that's the de-facto effect.

If a homemade, serialized gun is recovered at the scene of a crime, what are the practical steps that would be taken to trace it back to the owner?

The Maryland number has the FFL's license # as part of it, so MSP could contact the FFL and demand to know who had the gun etched. And by demand, I mean they could ask nicely, or they could threaten to revoke the FFL's MD Regulated Firearm Dealer License or other credential if compliance is lacking.

How long before the State sends a demand to all the State's FFL's that they turn over all their homemade gun serialization records?

There's no law against it and it imposes a cost on the FFLs, so probably not very long.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I was very frustrated that I failed to completely sign up for last week's House hearing. I think I failed to hit the SAVE button.

Just confirmed that I am signed up for 3 bills tomorrow. Sort of, maybe opposed to SB387 just a little bit. Supporting SB456 and 533.

See ya!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

If a homemade, serialized gun is recovered at the scene of a crime, what are the practical steps that would be taken to trace it back to the owner? How long before the State sends a demand to all the State's FFL's that they turn over all their homemade gun serialization records?

Yes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, that's the de-facto effect.

The Maryland number has the FFL's license # as part of it, so MSP could contact the FFL and demand to know who had the gun etched. And by demand, I mean they could ask nicely, or they could threaten to revoke the FFL's MD Regulated Firearm Dealer License or other credential if compliance is lacking.

There's no law against it and it imposes a cost on the FFLs, so probably not very long.

Depends if any FFL fights it. Since it imposes a cost and there is no law mandating it, odds are good a judge would throw it out.

Since MSP isn’t funded to collect or maintain such records, unless the state executive government operates very differently than the federal government, no legislative mandate or specific funding, no go. It would still be a cost to the tune of at least hundreds of thousands of dollars if not a few million to MSP to collect all those records across hundreds of FFLs and store them. Whether paper or digital.

Not saying it couldn’t happen through the stroke of MGA pen. And I’d imagine MSP will keep records of anything they come across. But just asking all FFLs send them their records? Not going to happen absent legislation requiring that.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    So,, I logged into "MyMGA",, checked SB386, selected unfavorable, selected "both", uploaded my written testimony, then clicked the "save" button up top.
    I am good to go for in person ??

And where do the Kool kids hang out ??

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    So,, I logged into "MyMGA",, checked SB386, selected unfavorable, selected "both", uploaded my written testimony, then clicked the "save" button up top.
    I am good to go for in person ??

And where do the Kool kids hang out ??

Inside or just outside the Judicial Proceedings committee room, 2nd floor. Expecting limited seating because Covid can't jump.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    My ghost gat testimony, but this time; BIGGER, LONGER, UNCUT.

Attachments

• DC-W_SB387_UNF-red.pdf
      2.9 MB · Views: 131

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have a system.

Arming the militia cannot ultimately be under the control of the Federal Government. That defeats the purpose of the 2A, as does registering firearms with the government, imo.

I knew I liked you for more than your hair....

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Under the "Senate Judicial Proceeding Committee's guide on testimony" what does "Please don't read from your testimony" mean??
    I worked on the oral testimony for hours and have it written on 2 pages,, I plan on reading from that,, will I be thrown out??

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    For those giving testimony today

Hi all first kudos to all those who will be giving in person testimony today, I would have loved to but I have other obligations. I just watched the HB testimony on Youtube from earlier in the month, and got a laugh out of one of the solutions offered up by Brian Frosh as to what you are supposed to do with the gun you manufactured legally.... He said that you could sell it.......really? I'm going to make my self a felon at the Federal level to avoid being subject to becoming a felon at the state level? He obviously doesn't realise that selling a firearm that you manufactured for your own use is illegal to sell? Just giving some of you something to add to your testimony if you are able to do so today.
    Good luck and thank you for all those doing their part today to fight for the rights of your fellow gun owners/builders. Please also stick to the relevant facts and situations as well, too many people giving testimony tend to drift into tangents and personal experiences and burn up their time with it. Stick to the reasons why this bill is bad, and how it will be impossible for people to comply with it if they chose to. Thanks again for your efforts
    Chris Rummel

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Hi all first kudos to all those who will be giving in person testimony today, I would have loved to but I have other obligations. I just watched the HB testimony on Youtube from earlier in the month, and got a laugh out of one of the solutions offered up by Brian Frosh as to what you are supposed to do with the gun you manufactured legally.... He said that you could sell it.......really? I'm going to make my self a felon at the Federal level to avoid being subject to becoming a felon at the state level? He obviously doesn't realise that selling a firearm that you manufactured for your own use is illegal to sell? Just giving some of you something to add to your testimony if you are able to do so today.
    Good luck and thank you for all those doing their part today to fight for the rights of your fellow gun owners/builders. Please also stick to the relevant facts and situations as well, too many people giving testimony tend to drift into tangents and personal experiences and burn up their time with it. Stick to the reasons why this bill is bad, and how it will be impossible for people to comply with it if they chose to. Thanks again for your efforts
    Chris Rummel

Wrong wrong wrong wrong

It is not illegal to sell a homemade firearm

It is illegal to manufacture them for explicit sale without a license

They spread enough disinformation. Please do not add to the pile

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033