SB387 "Public Safety - Untraceable Firearms" - The Ban on Private Firearm Making

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Remember:

005cc0671c159f95113b33f209890c44.jpg

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    But what about surplus parts kits and rewelds and those kinda of projects? I have a PPS-43 kit sitting here. Was going to turn it into a semi-auto carbine with 16" barrel but don't want to run amuck of this new law.

Thanks-
    If I’m reading this right, I think you might be able to build such a thing but will have 30 days to get it engraved.

Attachments

• F5511DAA-1E9A-4A1D-A465-9EC0507AC1E8.jpeg
      F5511DAA-1E9A-4A1D-A465-9EC0507AC1E8.jpeg
      72.9 KB · Views: 74

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm still up in the air on what to do. I have an older gen1 P80 that does not have the metal strip in it. Is that a goner or can you engrave the frame anywhere? What is the definition of easily obliterated? I can easily obliterate a serial number on any gun.
    Goner.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol, the Dems aren’t going to gain Senate seats in the next election

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Possibly not total. But there is at least a state or two they are likely to win. PA will likely go Dem.

It’s a fight against two not very likable republicans for the senate and a Republican running for Governor who is very far right and reviled by some republicans and all democrats. You can bet midterm turn out in PA will be high, and probably leaning democrat. And Fetterman is pretty charismatic.

I at least wouldn’t discount the chance he will win the open senate seat.

And Tedd Budd in NC is drinking strong from the election fraud cool aid.

That doesn’t give them no chance, but it turns in to a turn out game. Both PA and N.C. have more registered democrats than republicans and both elect democrats pretty frequently.

Going hard right doesn’t tend to get a ton of those independent voters.

I think republicans have a chance of capturing the senate majority. But it is not a sure thing at all. They might come away with a seat or three less than they have now.

Dems have 52 or 53 seats to 47 or 48? Sinema and Manchin aren’t going to control anything anymore.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Going hard right doesn’t tend to get a ton of those independent voters.
    But moderates have almost no chance of winning Rep primaries these days. Dem moderates have it slightly better, but not much because the Woke push turnout in their primaries whereas moderates don't seem to have the motivation to show up at the polls.
    I think republicans have a chance of capturing the senate majority. But it is not a sure thing at all. They might come away with a seat or three less than they have now.
    I've learned not to underestimate the power of the middle finger vote. The outcome will depend on who is most ticked off at the status quo on Election Day. If Putin commits suicide with two shots to the head some time between now and early October, sanctions may get softened and fuel prices will drop significantly as Russian petro production floods the market.

Dems have 52 or 53 seats to 47 or 48? Sinema and Manchin aren’t going to control anything anymore.
    But if Reps control House, which is likely, that means those two votes are not as needed, except for confirmation votes on nominees. Schumer can posture all he wants on gun control and Woke hot-button issues, but he won't get any of it through a Rep-controlled House.

Last edited:

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    It’s not a “traceable” serial number. It was also decommissioned. I’d say gray area. Lots of serialized guns have no paper trail.
    Definitely . I think it also says 1954 on it. Which would make it a vintage firearm exempt of this law I think. But I don't think that would fly because it's getting put back together in 2022 and becoming a whole different semi automatic firearm. So it would be made in 2022 I guess.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It’s not a “traceable” serial number. It was also decommissioned. I’d say gray area. Lots of serialized guns have no paper trail.
    I'd say the largest percentage of firearms produced earlier than 1980 have no paper trail to the current owners.

One of the things I'm not sure the libs ever take into account are just how damned many guns are in the country. They tend to be most concerned with guns that are currently being manufactured without taking into account that firearms technology hasn't changed appreciably in over 100 years - guns that were made 100+ years ago, provided they were well cared for, function just like they did the day they were new, and it takes a fair bit of use or misuse before they are rendered inoperable.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    The state provides two avenues to have firearms serialized by federally licensed dealers:

-FFL does it in line with what’s required of the federal rule. They use part of their FFL number to serialize the gun. Done.
    Or
    -FFL does it so that it is serialized with more personal info of the owner and then the firearm is registered with the state police.

Anything made post 3/1/23 must be registered with MSP within 30 days after it becomes a firearm.

This is explained on page three and after of a supplemental brief filed by MSI: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...and-motion-for-expedited-hearing-and-decision

92147664a35e79c04d46db3de52c6afb.jpg

Engage Armament is so far one of the few capable and willing companies who would perform the engraving service, but for now, Montgomery County’s own law prohibits them or anyone from possessing any unserialized frames or receivers within the county. The state made a method for people to comply with the law and keep their stuff, but the county’s ordinance interferes with that. They claim it doesn’t: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...f-senate-bill-387-and-house-bill-425-into-law

This lawsuit against Montgomery County is over whether or not the county bill 4-21 is pre-empted by state law. A hearing is scheduled for 5/23. More here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/counselor-s-corner/msi-v-montgomery-county
    Am I wrong that this law is useless?

Paraphrasing:
    "Option 1: FFL engraves it with an abbreviated version of their FFL number and then registration isn't required because it it is traceable."

Why would the gun be traceable? It wouldn't be on the FFL's books. If the owner never left the FFL while the work was being done and it took less than 24 hours the FFL doesn't need to record it in their bound book...

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    The state provides two avenues to have firearms serialized by federally licensed dealers:

-FFL does it in line with what’s required of the federal rule. They use part of their FFL number to serialize the gun. Done.
    Or
    -FFL does it so that it is serialized with more personal info of the owner and then the firearm is registered with the state police.
    We engrave receivers, typically for ATF Form 1's. We will not do the first option, but can do the second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom