• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Score card is a wonderful idea, but you still have no idea what worked and what did not.

Was it the white shirts with blue lettering that got them to change their minds, the deluge of e-mails and phone calls from all constituents, the deluge of e-mails and calls from registered Democrats, the testimony, some expert's opinions, the well couched opinion of reps from the NRA/MSI/MSRPA, or just sheet common sense after they thought long and hard about things?

Maybe it was the guy pleading for them not to pass the law because he would not comply and thus they would be signing his death sentence. They all laughed after Zirkin said "Good luck with that", but after thinking long and hard about it, maybe that was the turning point.

No doubt that something gets them thinking about all this stuff, but what exactly is it? Are they worried about losing in the primary?

Well, I have a pretty good idea. It was the hearing where the parade of unintended consequences was laid out in oral and written testimony plus the the willingness of the committee members to listen and not impose criminal liability on innocent possessions. At the hearing, this very amendment to 5-134 was specifically mentioned as a solution by us. They simply had not realized that 5-134 could be amended to address this need, instead of reversing Chow's interpretation of 5-124. The committee vote was 11-0 The prosecutors got a new tool that they said they needed and innocent people are not being criminalized. Everyone is happy. Classic win win

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Well, I have a pretty good idea. It was the hearing where the parade of unintended consequences was laid out in oral and written testimony plus the the willingness of the committee members to listen and not impose criminal liability on innocent possessions. At the hearing, this very amendment to 5-134 was specifically mentioned as a solution by us. They simply had not realized that 5-134 could be amended to address this need, instead of reversing Chow's interpretation of 5-124. The committee vote was 11-0 The prosecutors got a new tool that they said they needed and innocent people are not being criminalized. Everyone is happy. Classic win win

Thank you sir for all you have done, and I agree it seems everyone wins on this one.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So if I am reading it correctly, that means a loan (temporary and without gratuitious exchange) of a regulated firearm to someone 21 and over is not illegal so long as the loaner does not have reason to believe the recipient of the loan is prohibited.

(Loans to those under 21 so long as it is for instruction and supervised by an adult instructor is okay per relevant subsection)?

Yeah, you and I should be alright. Esqappellate also summed it up pretty good. This isn't anywhere as terrible as it started out, and I am completely fine with this change, especially based upon what those "scumbag defense attorneys" were using the Chow case for.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I missed this. That is definitely some good work.

As I have already said, if they really wanted to screw gun owners, they could. However, it appears they are willing to listen to reason and not put all their normally law abiding neighbors in prison over stupidity.

Great job Mark.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Be thankful. That's not what the bill originally said.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a no brainer, but there was no avenue of prosecution when a thug loaned a handgun to another thug. Then again, maybe the thugs believe that the 2nd Amendment should apply to every free person, so maybe not as much of a no brainer as one would think. They have just been practicing WWNC well before it became mainstream.

I mean, if you were released from prison into Baltimore City, the only place you really know, wouldn't you want a gun for self defense right away?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Um....isn't possession by a disallowed person already illegal?

Shame that isn't enforced propper..... :sarcasm:

Yes, possession by a prohibited person is already illegal. However, what do you do to the person that loaned the prohibited person the gun? Maybe a "straw purchase" that really isn't a straw purchase because hey, it was merely a loaner like in Chow. The loaner never intended for the loanee to keep it. :innocent0

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a no brainer, but there was no avenue of prosecution when a thug loaned a handgun to another thug.

This is not true. I refer you to Mark Pennak's testimony during the bill's original hearing in JPC. Prosecutorial discretion is to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom