• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Is the Franklin Arms XO 26, which is a class 1 firearm, covered in this bill? And will it cover home builds that fall within the same guidelines as the XO 26?

TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    Any semi-auto, center fire rifle "under 29 inches." I'm guessing the 26 means it is 26 inches long. If so, it will be banned on October 1, 2013.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My first question is, since it is classified as a pistol (see ATF letter), is it on the MSP handgun roster?

If it is, then you are good to go, both before and after October 1.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Any semi-auto, center fire rifle "under 29 inches." I'm guessing the 26 means it is 26 inches long. If so, it will be banned on October 1, 2013.

And you would be wrong, as it is NOT a rifle. SB281 does not apply.

These are NOT banned. However MD does have some peculiarities with their definition of handgun.

As the ATF indicates, the top one is a "handgun" and the bottom one is "something other than a handgun/pistol", however more than likely MD would classify this a pistol since the barrel is < 16" long.

In order to get the FRS 26 into MD without tripping any MD laws, it would need to have a 16" barrel. After that, you could put a shorter upper on it and have it in a more usable configuration as long as you remain above 26" OAL when equipped with a second handgrip or as a handgun without a second handgrip and under 26" OAL. As can be seen below, by building on virgin lowers, you can do this without the intermediate step of going through the handgun roster. As I did with my AR-57 upper.

Mark

Attachments

• IMAG0092.jpg
      IMAG0092.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 137
    • IMAG0100.jpg
      IMAG0100.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 142

TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    And you would be wrong, as it is NOT a rifle. SB281 does not apply.

These are NOT banned. However MD does have some peculiarities with their definition of handgun.

As the ATF indicates, the top one is a "handgun" and the bottom one is "something other than a handgun/pistol", however more than likely MD would classify this a pistol since the barrel is < 16" long.

In order to get the FRS 26 into MD without tripping any MD laws, it would need to have a 16" barrel. After that, you could put a shorter upper on it and have it in a more usable configuration as long as you remain above 26" OAL when equipped with a second handgrip or as a handgun without a second handgrip and under 26" OAL. As can be seen below, by building on virgin lowers, you can do this without the intermediate step of going through the handgun roster. As I did with my AR-57 upper.

Mark
    MD CR 4-201
    Handgun includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.

Short-barreled rifle means:
    a rifle that has one or more barrels LESS than 16 inches long or;
    a weapon that has an overall length of LESS than 26 inches and that was made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

Barrel length is "less than 16 inches." It is not on the handgun roster though and will unlikely be placed on the roster before Oct. 1. It appears it will become a banned SBR.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    MD CR 4-201
    Handgun includes a short-barreled shotgun and a short-barreled rifle.

Short-barreled rifle means:
    a rifle that has one or more barrels LESS than 16 inches long or;
    a weapon that has an overall length of LESS than 26 inches and that was made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

Barrel length is "less than 16 inches." It is not on the handgun roster though and will unlikely be placed on the roster before Oct. 1. It appears it will become a banned SBR.

It's not a rifle, is it?
    It's not less than 26" (it's 26.5"), is it?

It's not banned! See how that works, you actually have to read all the words. ;) Don't worry, our clever legislators didn't read them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom