• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrewb

Jun 20, 2013
    Can it be sold with the standard 25 rd mag, or only a 10 rd? What about the GSG STG-44? Would it's magazine have to be limited to 10 rds?

My GSG STG-44 came with a 10 round magazine. The 25 round magazine cannot be sold in MD.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    erwos...thanks for continually updating this...and thanks to all others who have added answers. I had been wondering about an M1 Garand and an M1 Carbine...both of which my dad carried in WWII. Sounds like I'll still be able to get a Garand (anybody on here ever buy one from CMP?); doesn't sound good for a Carbine though.

The FAQs really helped...thanks again!

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    15-22 and STG-44 are cash and carry. Which means I can buy one in a neighboring state and bring it back w/o going through a Maryland FFL, correct? So if I buy one in, say, PA, and just drive it home, am I breaking any law?

You are fine buying anything thing that is cash and carry in MD out of state. I have done it myself. Well you are at it pick up a few 20+ mags and bring them back in as well.

Thanks
    Robert

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Blew away the "what should I buy?" list, added questions about specific models of guns and their status as copies.

M4MD

Sep 14, 2012
    So....if an assault long gun cannot be a copycat weapon would I still be able to Form 1 a SBR from an existing AR-15? Since it would be an assault long gun (or copy) it cannot be a copycat correct? So the OAL test would not apply?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So....if an assault long gun cannot be a copycat weapon would I still be able to Form 1 a SBR from an existing AR-15? Since it would be an assault long gun (or copy) it cannot be a copycat correct? So the OAL test would not apply?
    The MSP has given multiple answers to this question, so I cannot tell you for sure.

M4MD

Sep 14, 2012
    The MSP has given multiple answers to this question, so I cannot tell you for sure.

Kind of what I expected. Even the folks enforcing the law don't know how to interpret the law. Maybe I'll just get a lawyer on retainer and submit the Form 1 and see how it shakes out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Will I still be abke to buy a s&w mp15-22lr sfter9/30? Can't find anything about that from reading thur this thread

15-22 is a RIMFIRE rifle. The copy cat test is only for CENTERFIRE rifles.

15-22 is fine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Can it be sold with the standard 25 rd mag, or only a 10 rd? What about the GSG STG-44? Would it's magazine have to be limited to 10 rds?

ALL firearms are limited to a maximum of a 10 round magazine when delivered after today, IN MD.

You cannot legally take delivery of a 25 round magazine today or the last few years, IF you pick it up in MD.

Mine came pinned to 18 rounds.

Go to PA, VA, or WV and buy it with the 25 round magazine.

bigplayer2382

Jan 18, 2013
    Salisbury
    Awesome post. I would love more information on this though. I'd love to turn one of my lowers I bought into an SBR. Any more information on this? If not I'll give MSP a call tomorrow to find out and post my findings (assuming i don't forget)

Q: Can I build an SBR out of a grandfathered gun after the ban comes into effect?
    A: This is definitely a grey area if the new gun would be considered a copycat weapon (even if the gun it was made from is already a copycat gun). There are competing federal and state standards for what constitutes manufacturing of firearms. Reports from the MSP meetings are conflicting, but seem to lean towards yes.

M4MD

Sep 14, 2012
    Awesome post. I would love more information on this though. I'd love to turn one of my lowers I bought into an SBR. Any more information on this? If not I'll give MSP a call tomorrow to find out and post my findings (assuming i don't forget)

Q: Can I build an SBR out of a grandfathered gun after the ban comes into effect?
    A: This is definitely a grey area if the new gun would be considered a copycat weapon (even if the gun it was made from is already a copycat gun). There are competing federal and state standards for what constitutes manufacturing of firearms. Reports from the MSP meetings are conflicting, but seem to lean towards yes.

Has anyone contacted the AG or Assistant Attorney General with this question yet?

Mark Bowen
    410-653-4228

He is listed as the contact for firearm transportation and carry questions (close enough) so maybe he can get an answer to this.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Has anyone contacted the AG or Assistant Attorney General with this question yet?

Mark Bowen
    410-653-4228

He is listed as the contact for firearm transportation and carry questions (close enough) so maybe he can get an answer to this.

MSP's call, not the AG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom