SB118 (2023) - Criminal Law – Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So who else is going to ignore this and carry anyway. It's so blatantly unconstitutional that you can pretty much guarantee a court win and payday.
    So you are going to ignore it and go to a gun range to shoot? Or go hunting on public land with a firearm? Because SB118 appears to ban both of those activities.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Actually, you could in that case. FOPA should protect you if you are traveling out of state IIRC.

One note, I didn't check all of the bills, but I think all of these are effective 10/1/2023 (at least one of them, SB1?, is). Not that it makes anything much better. But that does at least give some breathing room for lawsuits, versus NJ and NY which were "SCREW YOU GUN OWNERS. IMMEDIATELY!"
    Be better if it was immediate. You'd have immediate standing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Be better if it was immediate. You'd have immediate standing.
    If the law has passed, I'd think you would have immediate standing. You might not get a PI or TRO as there would be "plenty of time" to hear the case, unless that would go past when the law would go in to effect.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If the law has passed, I'd think you would have immediate standing. You might not get a PI or TRO as there would be "plenty of time" to hear the case, unless that would go past when the law would go in to effect.
    Law might have passed but is not effective til 1 October. 30 September do as you will, 1 October the new restrictions take place and you are affected.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    The state's selling a wear and carry permit and then making its use illegal amounts to conspiracy and fraud by the state legislature, never mind a violation of federal law as defined by Bruen.

This really isn't different than passing a state law that establishes a poll tax.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    86 is a real piece of crap. Poorly written as all 2A infringements are.
    It also makes anyone who sought in patient treatment at a drug or alcohol rehab a prohibited person for life.

Another reason to never be on record for seeking any type of counseling or head shrinking .

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    The state's selling a wear and carry permit and then making its use illegal amounts to conspiracy and fraud by the state legislature, never mind a violation of federal law as defined by Bruen.

This really isn't different than passing a state law that establishes a poll tax.
    I'm with Lazarus though. Where does it specify wear and carry permit holders? It doesn't, this is a broad restriction on firearms. Wearing, carrying or transporting. I do not see any carve outs for hunters, only LEO, security and military going to post. Maybe that wasn't their intention, but with the wording, in my non-legal scholar interpretation, it appears that's what they did.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Actually, you could in that case. FOPA should protect you if you are traveling out of state IIRC.
    And FOPA would protect people traveling here to stay in a hotel here, if I'm not mistaken, which would make their "inn, hotel, or other that provides lodging to transient guests" portion of this unlawful (as if we didn't already know it was)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And FOPA would protect people traveling here to stay in a hotel here, if I'm not mistaken, which would make their "inn, hotel, or other that provides lodging to transient guests" portion of this unlawful (as if we didn't already know it was)
    I am pretty sure it wouldn't. I think it MIGHT, if they are traveling through the state and need to temporarily stay. But it wouldn't if they were coming TO Maryland and staying in an inn, hotel, motel, etc.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So you are going to ignore it and go to a gun range to shoot? Or go hunting on public land with a firearm? Because SB118 appears to ban both of those activities.
    I'm absolutely going to fight it being passed, but once it is, it's the duty of the people to exercise their rights and to not comply with unconstitutional tyranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom