SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I agree that leaving out the dwelling portion sucks. But go after the "easy" stuff, once you win that try the harder stuff. Get the fast prelim right now on the easy stuff instead of going after everything and maybe no injunction and waiting 3 years. Its easy enough to add other items later.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Regarding the lawsuits, it seems to be good strategy to focus on the publicly accessible locations. This prevents arguments/discussions from getting into the weeds on one issue (dwellings), delaying a ruling on the other issues (publicly accessible places).

I don’t agree with the default prohibition for dwellings; however, it will, likely, not affect as many people as the publicly accessible places. I would think that most dwellings that permit holders visit are those of carry-friendly acquaintances.

Agree completely. Start with the provisions that affect the greatest number of people and have the highest likelihood of being shot down first. The dwelling provision is a much higher hill to climb with a lot less certainty of victory. Let's focus on the things that really hurt us directly in our daily lives. I'm not too concerned personally about the dwelling issue. I would probably only carry at people's houses where I know for a fact they support 2A, and it's very rare I would carry in another person's house anyway. Let's go for the low hanging fruit first and stay out of the weeds. The dwelling suit can always be handled later.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Does anyone else here live in a cooperative ? I do, and apparently can't even open my front door, and walk into my own front yard anymore, let alone walk to my car while carrying as of Oct :mad:

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Vampires must be invited in to a home
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure someone else came up with the "vampire" terminology - probably in this thread somewhere.

Agree completely. Start with the provisions that affect the greatest number of people and have the highest likelihood of being shot down first. The dwelling provision is a much higher hill to climb with a lot less certainty of victory. Let's focus on the things that really hurt us directly in our daily lives. I'm not too concerned personally about the dwelling issue. I would probably only carry at people's houses where I know for a fact they support 2A, and it's very rare I would carry in another person's house anyway. Let's go for the low hanging fruit first and stay out of the weeds. The dwelling suit can always be handled later.
    The "dwelling" clause may not impact you directly, but it does impact people who carry and go to other people's homes as a part of their job. Electricians, plumbers, realtors, contractors, etc.

I am thinking that the vampire clause might get challenged depending on how COMAR writes it up. However, I'm not certain about that. I don't want to speculate more on why they didn't go about challenging this particular portion yet - although Mark or someone else knowledgeable may grace us with that specific rationale if they want.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Regarding the lawsuits, it seems to be good strategy to focus on the publicly accessible locations. This prevents arguments/discussions from getting into the weeds on one issue (dwellings), delaying a ruling on the other issues (publicly accessible places).

I don’t agree with the default prohibition for dwellings; however, it will, likely, not affect as many people as the publicly accessible places. I would think that most dwellings that permit holders visit are those of carry-friendly acquaintances.
    so it means that criminals that rob houses cannot carry guns in said houses unless the owners say it is ok?

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Excellent point. That had not occurred to me. My son is an electrician btw.

I would imagine that a lot of companies have rules in place about carrying when being an official representative of the organization.
    They might say if you carry, you cannot use a company vehicle nor conduct company business.

Can only imagine the reaction of a company the first time they get a call that a technician walked into a customers house and asked permission to bring their gun with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Bite by Bite
    Using their own tactics against them? Payback is a beeatch.

images

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I would imagine that a lot of companies have rules in place about carrying when being an official representative of the organization.
    They might say if you carry, you cannot use a company vehicle nor conduct company business.

Can only imagine the reaction of a company the first time they get a call that a technician walked into a customers house and asked permission to bring their gun with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not for me, luckily. I am an estimator/pm for a commercial electrical contractor and my boss was one of my references. And we have been in baltimore and he jokes he is going to hide behind me.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure someone else came up with the "vampire" terminology - probably in this thread somewhere.

The "dwelling" clause may not impact you directly, but it does impact people who carry and go to other people's homes as a part of their job. Electricians, plumbers, realtors, contractors, etc.

I am thinking that the vampire clause might get challenged depending on how COMAR writes it up. However, I'm not certain about that. I don't want to speculate more on why they didn't go about challenging this particular portion yet - although Mark or someone else knowledgeable may grace us with that specific rationale if they want.
    OK. I get it now -- just didn't know that about vampires. Makes perfect sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom