SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I didn't say they started caring! There is always a BUT-- This number CAN and should be used to call
    on telephone the leadership-- Maybe--or more than likely call the governor's office.

Hey- Look SB-1 & HB 284 does have a large number of people--Maryland People buy the way- citizens who
    opposed. Will this work, probably NOT. So We continue to TRY.

HERE Ya Go...
    nevergiveup.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you are suggesting that a homeowner does not have the right to prohibit others from bearing firearms on their property, then we are simply in disagreement.

Here is another thought experiment. I have prohibited others from bearing arms on my property. Despite knowing that, you enter my home armed. You are now an intruder and I may well fear for my life. See “Castle Doctrine” for how I might respond.
    If all the stupid crap in SB1, the one I have the least problem with is the explicit permission to carry a firearm in to someone’s dwelling. If it was on to the property, that too me is too far. But it’s someone’s home. If you have to ask, I don’t see any issues with that. Heck I have no problem with private property bans on firearms so long as it requires posting so I know, and if places of public accommodation are not allowed to ban them.

If my neighbor posts their property no guns. Or the private club does, no concerns form me. The Home Depot does, unless they are providing armed security, I have a problem with that.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This law and others like it would literally return the State of Maryland from a republican democracy to a medieval-like feudal state wherein landed gentry hold sway over all aspects of our lives...
    This is the recurring goal of the Governor, MGA, County and City Councils and HOAs. With them as the rulers, of course. But are we not already perilously close to this already with our two-tiered legal system? Just sayin'...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What gun owner in their right mind would marry an anti-2a spouse? Not to be obtuse, but I think that's something you'd smoke out with the first, .....

While I agree with you, it's more complex than than .

Spouses can previously have no opinion , and later change.

Not all of have been gun people all our lives , some people came to it later in life , after already married .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    While I agree with you, it's more complex than than .

Spouses can previously have no opinion , and later change.

Not all of have been gun people all our lives , some people came to it later in life , after already married .
    I didn’t own guns or hunt till my early 30s. I got married and had kids in my early 20s. I’ve never been anti-2A. Call it pro-2A, but not caring all that much. My wife was raised super liberal and anti-2A. I was raised pretty middle of the road liberal.

Those opinions really didn’t matter a lot. It would be like saying I am catholic and she is Jewish and we are both non practicing. Suddenly one of us gets real in to religion and wants to start taking the kids to church/temple. The other one might suddenly find their beliefs an issue.

I’ve been dragging my wife to the right. Especially on guns. And she’s been getting more enlightened about guns and gun rights. But it’s been a slow as heck process. But we’ve been married pushing 20 years and less than half of it I’ve owned guns.

I don’t spend my life having regrets or thinking about how I’d do it different again. No point in living in the past. I love my wife. I love my kids. I wouldn’t change the decisions in my life. If someone asked me if I was the person I am today 20 years ago would I have done things different, of course I would. I ain’t the same person today as half my life ago. I doubt my wife of then would be much interested in the me now and I sure wouldn’t be all that interested in my wife of then. If it was my wife of now, then, and me now, then…I’d probably still be interested in her.

I am done putting my brain in a pretzel.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I certainly get it, But what about just going to dinner at Red Lobster with your family and one of the “Mommys” bumps into you in line, perhaps notices something, and calls the police?

Willing to risk your family’s life savings in legal fees and end up in prison with no means to support them, then unable to return to your (a) job later due to your record?

This scenario is several orders of magnitude more likely to be the event that lands someone in deep $hit than an actual self defense event.

Given the number people carrying now, and the number that open carry and don't get noticed now, your example at Red Lobster is several orders of magnitude not to happen.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    If you are suggesting that a homeowner does not have the right to prohibit others from bearing firearms on their property, then we are simply in disagreement.

Here is another thought experiment. I have prohibited others from bearing arms on my property. Despite knowing that, you enter my home armed. You are now an intruder and I may well fear for my life. See “Castle Doctrine” for how I might respond.
    Billy B I been through the same sort of disagreement here before as far as property goes. Some people just dont get it.

Billyb

MDS Supporter
    Nov 7, 2022
    Towson
    Billy B I been through the same sort of disagreement here before as far as property goes. Some people just dont get it.
    It's cool. The free exchange of ideas is the important thing. I really would not want to be on a forum where everyone thinks the same way. Echo chambers and confirmation bias are not good for anyone no matter their beliefs.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Can we ban people from possessing marijuana on private property? Alcohol? Meat? Where are the limits here?

Let's be clear: this isn't a trespassing law. It's a law on top of trespassing that can be asserted by the state without the owner pressing charges.

Billyb

MDS Supporter
    Nov 7, 2022
    Towson
    Can we ban people from possessing marijuana on private property? Alcohol? Meat? Where are the limits here?

Let's be clear: this isn't a trespassing law. It's a law on top of trespassing that can be asserted by the state without the owner pressing charges.
    Just to be clear: I never said I supported the restrictions found in SB1 that ban possession on private property unless the property owner expressly allows it. I believe such a provision is unconstitutional on at least two levels. What I said is that a private property owner has the right to ban firearms (or anything and anyone, for that matter) on their own property.

The 2nd Amendment constrains only the government from infringing on the right to bear arms. It does not require any citizen to bear arms or to accept the presence of arms on their property.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Just to be clear: I never said I supported the restrictions found in SB1 that ban possession on private property unless the property owner expressly allows it. I believe such a provision is unconstitutional on at least two levels. What I said is that a private property owner has the right to ban firearms (or anything and anyone, for that matter) on their own property.

The 2nd Amendment constrains only the government from infringing on the right to bear arms. It does not require any citizen to bear arms or to accept the presence of arms on their property.
    its a thin distinction, but I look at it this way:

I can’t ban you from having certain things on my property. The only right I SHOULD have is the right to ask you to leave my property if you comport yourself or possess something I don’t like. So I can trespass you and prevent you from darkening my property…but I can’t prevent you from having the thing that I don’t like.

It gets a little sticky with public accommodations, I know. But if Home Depot or Red Lobster doesn’t want my business? Then I won’t enrich their purses with my coin.

Semantics, I know.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I think it seems we are in agreement here: existing trespassing laws cover all of the rights a property owner needs, and getting the state to give special treatment of an otherwise legal item as SB1 does is bad in numerous ways.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    I think it seems we are in agreement here: existing trespassing laws cover all of the rights a property owner needs, and getting the state to give special treatment of an otherwise legal item as SB1 does is bad in numerous ways.
    100% this.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    It's cool. The free exchange of ideas is the important thing. I really would not want to be on a forum where everyone thinks the same way. Echo chambers and confirmation bias are not good for anyone no matter their beliefs.
    Maybe they're all right with the Comcast guy loining the old lady too becuase there no signs prohibiting the behavior as well Idk.

I can be clear here too. You would have to be a class A jerk to show up on someones property with some booze and marijuana let alone a gun, uninvited or that you didn't know.
    If your dumb enough to believe, you passed some sort of morality check just becuase you have a carry permit and the state has been assured of your propensity for non criminality that doesn't mean doodly squat to me, my family or designee, for my house, lands, private road or whatever.
    Now, do I believe a guy should be hung out to dry becuase he crossed some liberal or rhinos wet dream magic kingdom territorial borders in some complicated urban area, no I dont believe that.
    That as dumb as showing up to someones place with a gun they dont know about if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom