SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It will become your problem when the untrained novice aims at the guy over there and puts a slug into you...
    Oh well, if it happens it happens. The less government mandated crap we have to deal with, the better.
    Anyone calling for mandated training should not have a permit and in my opinion doesn't respect the Constitution as it is written.

Last edited:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Bob A
    Sure - The physical act of using a handgun can be instinctive as point and pull the trigger but that was not the point.

"How stupid do you see your fellow man to be?" As I said, people on a forum like this have an idea about how to handle and use a weapon, BUT watch the noobs come into a gun shop and point anywhere, finger on the trigger. The reality is that the last time I was in a gun shop a guy who said he had JUST finished his CCW class was looking at what to buy, had not checked the action, and pointed a gun right at me with his finger on the trigger while looking at it. (The shop owner and I both yelled as it came up.) Ask any gun store owner or employee not IF they've seen it but how many times a day they do. That's your normal John Public demonstrating how you can't assume others will "leave your hands off." Those people are generally not "stupid," they are untrained and ignorant.

"Mayhem and slaughter?" Yes, the wrong people have easy access to weapons and I used the word indiscriminately because I've been in undeclared war zones (Columbia, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Middle East), commuted into DC for 32 years before it cleaned up, spent a lot of time in Baltimore, done ride-alongs, and more. I'm a retired Federal Investigator who as been shot at, had a lot of guns pointed at me, and am very familiar with kids with guns doing drive-byes where the wrong people got hurt.

Want reality? It's the helpless feeling of just being able to listen when a good friend and co-worker comes to work and says she/they (more than one) & the kids had to get on the floor because the house next door was being shot up. I'm all for those ladies being able to carry but again with kids comes the need for training about what responsible ownership means. Not letting the kids get to their weapon, knowing when and how to shoot without going into the next apartment, where they can learn how and practice, etc. Their not having much extra money is why I mentioned CCW costs are discriminatory - because they effectively got locked out. This and the need for training are why I commented in this thread in the first place.

Finally, you can shove your "racist inference" comment in trying to judge me or anybody else. I am proud to have next door neighbors and friends of all races and beliefs. It's not my place to judge because I know who I am, including how screwed up I am, and thanks to people like those ladies I mentioned for bringing me into their lives. But you do you.

Sincerely, I respect your personal experience. But, when I read your comments, it sounds like you and Sen. Waldstreicher would get along great.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Where do I line up to pay a third party to provide training, get fingerprinted, pay for a background check, to beg my government to allow me to exercise my other Consitutionally-protected civil liberties?

They are either Liberties or they are government revocable privileges; by definition, they cannot be both.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It will become your problem when the untrained novice aims at the guy over there and puts a slug into you...
    Having given this issue a little thought, it seems to me that providing a prospective gun owner a pamphlet explaining the basics of safety, and a brief overview of the legal aspects of srlf-defense, while requiring the buyer to aver that s/he has received same, should be enough to satisfy basic requirements.

Whether they read it is up to them; they're responsible for their actions in any case, but they have been duly informed. Not unlike the Miranda process.

We can but hope that non-complying idiots will tend to eliminate each other, rather than you and I.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sincerely, I respect your personal experience. But, when I read your comments, it sounds like you and Sen. Waldstreicher would get along great.
    I'd like to think that you're replying to the other bob, but there I am.

Personally, I don't care for the Senator, at all, and I believe he would feel the same about me.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I'd like to think that you're replying to the other bob, but there I am.

Personally, I don't care for the Senator, at all, and I believe he would feel the same about me.

I was replying to checksbob in his response to you. Not you Bob A. I’m using Tapatalk so maybe it didn’t come across clearly.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We don't need to wonder or speculate about training requirements . We already KNOW .

Currently half the country is Permitless . Prior to that was Shall Issue was the majority , the various State's requirements could be categorized as :

No Training
    Training of some sort , but so open ended that just about anything at all accepted .
    Explicit training and qualification standards .

How did/ does that play out in the real world ? No measurable differences bad outcomes . ie Bystanders hit inadvertently , wrong people shot on purpose , or injuries from ADs . ( Not addressing win/ loss ratios of defenders , but the " public hazards " .)

Experienced shooters ( actual & in their own minds ) clutching their panties that " OMG ! All those people carrying guns * who aren't as skilled as ME * will cause blood to run in the streets from wild shots " has equal validity as all the Demanding Mommies , et al with " OMG ! Blood will run in the streets from all those people with Gun Permits shooting each other High Noon style over parking places " .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Having given this issue a little thought, it seems to me that providing a prospective gun owner a pamphlet explaining the basics of safety, and a brief overview of the legal aspects of srlf-defense, while requiring the buyer to aver that s/he has received same, should be enough to satisfy basic requirements.

Whether they read it is up to them; they're responsible for their actions in any case, but they have been duly informed. Not unlike the Miranda process.

We can but hope that non-complying idiots will tend to eliminate each other, rather than you and I.
    AT LAST! A common sense solution! And it won't bloat Government or raise taxes to implement! Good idea! Really!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    AT LAST! A common sense solution! And it won't bloat Government or raise taxes to implement! Good idea! Really!
    Well, that's why it will not be implemented.

But thank you for the support. I'm getting hammered here today.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, that's why it will not be implemented.

But thank you for the support. I'm getting hammered here today.
    Im not sure why you are getting hammered. There is plenty of real-world experience supporting your views.

I’m getting hammered, too. Vodka and pink grapefruit juice.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Im not sure why you are getting hammered. There is plenty of real-world experience supporting your views.

I’m getting hammered, too. Vodka and pink grapefruit juice.
    I bought a bottle of cheap gin, purported to be heavy on the juniper, for just such a purpose, but I've been dry for a year and fear getting fatter.

Aside from that, it seems that I'm in the minority, resisting a purge of the entire Black demographic and all Dem voters.

Of course, that would go far in rectifying our national situation, but I still feel it's a bridge too far. It's that pesky tolerance that always seems to impede. Fortunately, as time goes on, I'm getting more in line with the idea that the only problem with humanity is, well, people.

Less is more.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I bought a bottle of cheap gin, purported to be heavy on the juniper, for just such a purpose, but I've been dry for a year and fear getting fatter.

Aside from that, it seems that I'm in the minority, resisting a purge of the entire Black demographic and all Dem voters.

Of course, that would go far in rectifying our national situation, but I still feel it's a bridge too far. It's that pesky tolerance that always seems to impede. Fortunately, as time goes on, I'm getting more in line with the idea that the only problem with humanity is, well, people.

Less is more.
    Get your weed card. ;)

No calories if you resist the munchies.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Sadly, if it isn't then human nature (and costs) will just let it slide indefinitely. OTOH, I dread the idea of the clown show we call the MGA dictating training requirements.
    Let’s see them apply equal protection under the law and demand training for our other rights. It’s absurd that they get away with so much with 2A rights restrictions.

No mandatory training should ever be needed to exercise a right. If that’s the case, it’s NOT a right, it’s a privilege. Here in PA there are no training requirements, my last 2 permits took 12, and 15 minutes, from parking my vehicle a block away from the courthouse, to pulling away with my new, 5 year, $20 LTCF for concealed carry. Permitless open carry is legal.

We do fine here, with our 1,570,042 LTCF holders. There are people carrying firearms almost everywhere, even if some people are oblivious.

It’s going to be great to eventually see relief from these government over reaches, and see them dragged kicking and screaming in to a new reality.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Back on topic...

THIS is what SB1 is trying to prevent. Ballwanger is trying to codify cowardice and terror into law.

Wow---that is a fairly old clip. As I recall it was an off duty cop in like Brazil or Argentina... in the vicinity of parents picking up school children. She's hispanic and the room temperature bubba almost certainly isn't a muslim--

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom