SB1 (2023) - Criminal Law - Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Restrictions (Gun Safety Act of 2023)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Katsoup

Avtomat Kalashnikova
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2023
    Maryland
    This is why you hire service and trades people with a known reputation and a long, positive review history. Or intimate word of mouth.

I’d trust our HVAC guy in the house alone with my wife because I trust him. More to the point, he carries all sorts of tools other than guns that would aid him in being a lethal a-hole if he was an a-hole in the first place. But he’s only in the house because I know he’s not an a-hole in the first place. Also, my wife is pretty quick on the draw and has highly sensitive a-hole radar.

Agreed, I am okay with an armed service tech around my wife.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    My God. Let's think this service tech thing through for a moment.

Wife and Kids. Fine scenario.

If the tech is an upstanding sort, he can bring a hand grenade in and it won't matter. No harm comes to anyone. Hey, there is a very slightly above zero chance that he'd be there when some bad mo'fo' comes to do harm and can perhaps intervene. Low percentage, sure, but so long as we are talking hypotheticals...

If the tech is a criminal, whether or not I want him to be armed is probably unimportant. He ain't gonna follow rules if he ain't a rule follower. He can just as easily conceal a weapon as we can. I don't have a metal detector and security screening at my front door, so whatever I want doesn't even matter. So, what's the point?

But, even if he was a rule follower (I mean, that ONE rule), if he was intent on causing harm, he can still cause plenty with or without a firearm. Men do tend to be bigger and stronger then woman. And children.

Solution...keep the wife armed. Maybe the kid, too, depending on the kid. The boogiemen out there tend to not like hard targets. If they do, they probably aren't going through the process of being a freakin' service tech. They'd just be out there doing bad shit.

This is a stupid line of thought. Odds are pretty good that you've had armed folks in your home already without even knowing it. Concealed meaning concealed and all.

AND it is unfair to the service techs who likely have to go to all sorts of sketchy places. If you are afraid of him being alone with your wife and children, perhaps you should be home during the service call and make it a non-issue.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    My God. Let's think this service tech thing through for a moment.

Wife and Kids. Fine scenario.

If the tech is an upstanding sort, he can bring a hand grenade in and it won't matter. No harm comes to anyone. Hey, there is a very slightly above zero chance that he'd be there when some bad mo'fo' comes to do harm and can perhaps intervene. Low percentage, sure, but so long as we are talking hypotheticals...

If the tech is a criminal, whether or not I want him to be armed is probably unimportant. He ain't gonna follow rules if he ain't a rule follower. He can just as easily conceal a weapon as we can. I don't have a metal detector and security screening at my front door, so whatever I want doesn't even matter. So, what's the point?

But, even if he was a rule follower (I mean, that ONE rule), if he was intent on causing harm, he can still cause plenty with or without a firearm. Men do tend to be bigger and stronger then woman. And children.

Solution...keep the wife armed. Maybe the kid, too, depending on the kid. The boogiemen out there tend to not like hard targets. If they do, they probably aren't going through the process of being a freakin' service tech. They'd just be out there doing bad shit.

This is a stupid line of thought. Odds are pretty good that you've had armed folks in your home already without even knowing it. Concealed meaning concealed and all.

AND it is unfair to the service techs who likely have to go to all sorts of sketchy places. If you are afraid of him being alone with your wife and children, perhaps you should be home during the service call and make it a non-issue.
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    … you should be home during the service call …
    I never have any work done inside or outside my home when I’m not there. Mainly, to oversee the work being done to assure safety and that it is performed to my approval. I had an HVAC tech, once, who thought it was OK to talk on cell phone propped on his shoulder while sweating a connection. He quickly found out that practice is unacceptable.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    Being a contractor I do not carry in someone's house. Lock box in truck. But when I make a house call on complete strangers, depending on neighborhood I will. Especially in the city which I try to avoid . It's a tuff call on what anyone would think if they knew you are carrying. But look at it this way. At least if they have a permit, they have had several background checks. HQL, HGP, and background check for gun.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Being a contractor I do not carry in someone's house. Lock box in truck. But when I make a house call on complete strangers, depending on neighborhood I will. Especially in the city which I try to avoid . It's a tuff call on what anyone would think if they knew you are carrying. But look at it this way. At least if they have a permit, they have had several background checks. HQL, HGP, and background check for gun.
    That's your call to make and you should be able to do so freely. Not default to "I can't exercise this right" and wait for posted affirmation.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not so much on this board, but I know a bunch of LEOs and current military who feel this way. They are the Fudds of the uniformed community.
    Funny how it runs the gamut. I don't get it. The county guys I know couldn't care less if people carry. They don't champion it, but they say nothing against it. NONE of the Troopers I have casually chatted with who come into Starbucks I get the impression they want no one to carry. But I think the Trooper thing is the built in asshat ego from day 1 of their training.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The ones that I know who feel that civilians should be unarmed are in MSP and Baltimore County. I'm an NRP Reserve Officer and I will say that pretty much all of the NRP sworn officers that I know are cool with civilian ownership and carrying. I think that is largely because of the hunting enforcement they do, that they fully expect that just about everyone they meet is armed... makes for a different level of acceptance.

The frustrating part is the leadership at NRP who will not allow the reserve officers to carry (even concealed on their own permit)... so basically the only time I'm unarmed is when I'm in uniform... talk about being a soft target. The only firearms I'm allowed to handle in uniform are for the live fire training for hunter safety education. Can't even dispatch an injured deer.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The Governor addressed issues that SB1 doesn’t address…mumble jumble doesn’t square.
    Funny how it runs the gamut. I don't get it. The county guys I know couldn't care less if people carry. They don't champion it, but they say nothing against it. NONE of the Troopers I have casually chatted with who come into Starbucks I get the impression they want no one to carry. But

I think the Trooper thing is the built in asshat ego from day 1 of their training.
    Funny how it runs the gamut. I don't get it. The county guys I know couldn't care less if people carry. They don't champion it, but they say nothing against it. NONE of the Troopers I have casually chatted with who come into Starbucks I get the impression they want no one to carry. But I think the Trooper thing is the built in asshat ego from day 1 of their training.
    Trooper training plan needs to be tweaked.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The ones that I know who feel that civilians should be unarmed are in MSP and Baltimore County. I'm an NRP Reserve Officer and I will say that pretty much all of the NRP sworn officers that I know are cool with civilian ownership and carrying. I think that is largely because of the hunting enforcement they do, that they fully expect that just about everyone they meet is armed... makes for a different level of acceptance.

The frustrating part is the leadership at NRP who will not allow the reserve officers to carry (even concealed on their own permit)... so basically the only time I'm unarmed is when I'm in uniform... talk about being a soft target. The only firearms I'm allowed to handle in uniform are for the live fire training for hunter safety education. Can't even dispatch an injured deer.
    Baltimore City and county cops should probably start to assume anyone they meet is armed as well. Becoming more and more likely given crime rates and increasing carry permits.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Baltimore City and county cops should probably start to assume anyone they meet is armed as well. Becoming more and more likely given crime rates and increasing carry permits.
    City cops probably already assume everyone is armed. Just not legally.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

Is that like "Auxiliary" or some sort of volunteer thing you don't get paid for?

If so... Bruh, maybe you get some pepper spray and a radio but I can't imagine any Police department in this state letting volunteers carry a firearm, especially if they have no "Peace officer" power/cert/whatever

Unless you're a sworn peace officer and "Reserve" means you're still a paid employee? I said paid because who on planet earth would want to be a fully sworn cop and not get paid....

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Is that like "Auxiliary" or some sort of volunteer thing you don't get paid for?

If so... Bruh, maybe you get some pepper spray and a radio but I can't imagine any Police department in this state letting volunteers carry a firearm, especially if they have no "Peace officer" power/cert/whatever

Unless you're a sworn peace officer and "Reserve" means you're still a paid employee? I said paid because who on planet earth would want to be a fully sworn cop and not get paid....
    Yep... it is an auxiliary volunteer function. No law enforcement authority at all... we do public safety, education, boat inspections, search and rescue, and other non-enforcement actions to free up the sworn officers to focus on those. I understand them not wanting non-sworn officers to carry... it makes perfect sense from a liability standpoint, but it is frustrating knowing that as soon as I take off the badge and uniform, I AM legally allowed to carry, just not while I have a visible target on my back. One of those things that makes very little sense to my normally rational mind. We do have radios and can call a LEO if needed, but that's about it. No peper-spray allowed either (again... take off the uniform and anyone can carry it).

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You should be happy you at least get some type of uniform?

I was in Havre de grace for a First Friday or something a while back and standing next to a "Real Cop" sitting in a Police car were a couple of guys wearing cargo pants and green high viz DPw type t shirts that said "Police Auxiliary."

I'm not sure what they were doing (they probably didn't know either) but I laughed because they all had the two hands on belt buckle stance scanning the crowd like Arnold Schwarzenegger in "The Terminator"

I'm not trying to be too disparaging for people who do some type of "community service" but I'll tell people where the port a potties are and where to park as I'm walking around enjoying the event as a lowly citizen. LOL

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    That's your call to make and you should be able to do so freely. Not default to "I can't exercise this right" and wait for posted affirmation.
    Last month I had a contractor come and fix my air conditioner. it was all outside work and I have cameras everywhere. So I was not there. the next day I met with him to pay him. I noticed his pistol he and I got talking about it. i was carrying as well. Neither of us had an issues Carrying.
    now if the contract was crawling under the house or attic where it would be easily dropped that may be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom