• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Copy and paste from John J's 2A MD email from this morning at 0500:

Only SB 1097 was discussed at any length. In the course of the discussion, it was apparent that some Committee members have some serious concerns about the amendments proposed by Committee Chair and SB 1097 sponsor, Will Smith which would increase the training and testing requirements for QHIL and QHIC instructors. It was apparent that the amendment language was sorely lacking. Senator Folden questioned the language describing training offered by nationally recognized firarms organization when he asked Senator Smith if his amendment recognized Everytown's fireams safety training. Smith said "No."

Discussion on SB 1097 will continue at a future session, the date and time were not announced.​
    Tomorrow per the session video from Friday.

And the amendments aren't from Smith, they are from McKay.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Any response?
    He sent me a copy of the amendment (As above) and a letter of suggested training requirements from a W&C training company on the Eastern Shore.

Atlantic Tactical Firearms Trainers

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    PP got a livestream interview with McKay

What McKay said doesn't fit with what I read

He swears he is just trying to make MSP follow SB1 "standards". Sounds like he is saying per SB1 he was expecting MSP to do more than develop a curriculum for the training. Maybe he was expecting trainer curriculum as well? He was adamant that he wasn't trying to add steps and things were difficult enough.

Our own @dblas and John Josslyn were namr dropped as people he was speaking to so hopefully this gets sorted
    MSP has a 71 page outline, that is far from a curriculum. His thought process is that to get MSP to make a full curriculum, per SB1, is to force instructors to pass a test on the subject matter and then potentially more training on specific subjects.

I don't understand the logic.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If you watched the stream, take him at his word and give him a call with your reservations and concerns. He said he wants to know if he's "off the rails".
    I told him he was off base, by a long shot, and that three instructors on the Eastern Shore, do not speak for all instructors.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    He sent me a copy of the amendment (As above) and a letter of suggested training requirements from a W&C training company on the Eastern Shore.

Atlantic Tactical Firearms Trainers
    Huh, sounds to me like someone is trying to get the state to kill off their competition. Clever, if not original.

Someone check the donations to McKay. Paging SomeGuy to the white courtesy phone.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Here is the letter of suggested mandatory training instructors should have from the "Eastern Shore" instructors:

Instructors should be trained in more than just NRA basic pistol or USCCA basic pistol training to properly train civilians to obtain Maryland wear and Carry. Currently an NRA or USCCA basic pistol course is acceptable to teach this course for Maryland. Our suggestion in addition to this training on safe pistol handling, instructors should additionally attend a 40-hour training program on use of non-lethal and lethal force. Instructors should receive training on clear definitions of lethal and non-lethal force, use lethal force only as a last resort after first exhausting reasonable alternatives, and only when it is necessary to protect from death or serious injury. Use of less than lethal force when it is necessary and proportionate to the goal. Determining whether use of force is justified requires looking at the totality of the circumstances around the use of force, including whether the use of de-escalation techniques, and whether the individuals’ actions increased the need to use force. At a minimum instructors should be trained in such skills as:

• Justifying the use of deadly force in self-defense
    • Use of non-lethal force in self-defense
    • Understanding the affirmative defense of self-defense
    • Physiological phenomenon involved in deadly force incidents.
    • Criminal law and self-defense
    • Dynamics of violent encounters
    • Mock courtroom exercise
    • Issues from actual self-defense cases (case studies)
    Additional recommendations would be class sizes, maximum of 30 people (some locations have hosted 100+ person classes, there is no way to properly train with classes that size) A minimum of 1 instructor per 10 people in classroom setting, as well as 1 certified range safety officer per 3 shooters.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here is the letter of suggested mandatory training instructors should have from the "Eastern Shore" instructors:

Instructors should be trained in more than just NRA basic pistol or USCCA basic pistol training to properly train civilians to obtain Maryland wear and Carry. Currently an NRA or USCCA basic pistol course is acceptable to teach this course for Maryland. Our suggestion in addition to this training on safe pistol handling, instructors should additionally attend a 40-hour training program on use of non-lethal and lethal force. Instructors should receive training on clear definitions of lethal and non-lethal force, use lethal force only as a last resort after first exhausting reasonable alternatives, and only when it is necessary to protect from death or serious injury. Use of less than lethal force when it is necessary and proportionate to the goal. Determining whether use of force is justified requires looking at the totality of the circumstances around the use of force, including whether the use of de-escalation techniques, and whether the individuals’ actions increased the need to use force. At a minimum instructors should be trained in such skills as:

• Justifying the use of deadly force in self-defense
    • Use of non-lethal force in self-defense
    • Understanding the affirmative defense of self-defense
    • Physiological phenomenon involved in deadly force incidents.
    • Criminal law and self-defense
    • Dynamics of violent encounters
    • Mock courtroom exercise
    • Issues from actual self-defense cases (case studies)
    Additional recommendations would be class sizes, maximum of 30 people (some locations have hosted 100+ person classes, there is no way to properly train with classes that size) A minimum of 1 instructor per 10 people in classroom setting, as well as 1 certified range safety officer per 3 shooters.
    I believe the trainer who sent this is a member here, maybe he can jump in and explain himself.

Not holding my breath.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I wonder if the author of the letter realized that those suggestions would also apply to him and his trainers.

tjv4163

Jun 27, 2012
    21234 city side
    @kenpo333
    Is trying to flex that he took the MAG40 class and if this passes he will be I believe the only instructor in Md who has it. He IMO is as bad as the jackass Senator from MoCo (I refuse to say his name). This law would hurt more Maryland gun owners then the one the red head put through. It’s a sad day when one of our own wants to shoot us all…….

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    @kenpo333
    Is trying to flex that he took the MAG40 class and if this passes he will be I believe the only instructor in Md who has it. He IMO is as bad as the jackass Senator from MoCo (I refuse to say his name). This law would hurt more Maryland gun owners then the one the red head put through. It’s a sad day when one of our own wants to shoot us all…….
    Very apt comparison, the red headed stepchild from MoCo proposes bills that no one of his faith or heritage should propose and would render all others of his "faith" defenseless was just craven homage to his backers.

@kenpo333's proposal would also hurt people of his kind while enriching his pocketbook as he corners the market through legislation.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I hope those eastern shore instructor(s) who wrote that letter all go out of business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom