• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I'd h

I'm not arguing for it. I do think there needs to be some type of consumer protection though.
    The market is the traditional protection. Bad YELP reviews are more effective that the gorilla of having MPTC 'managing' 3,000 instructors.

MSP is already capable of having Troopers 'audit' a specific instructor based on COMPLAINTS.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The market is the traditional protection. Bad YELP reviews are more effective that the gorilla of having MPTC 'managing' 3,000 instructors.

MSP is already capable of having Troopers 'audit' a specific instructor based on COMPLAINTS.
    Yeah I can see these high maintenance instructors dropping a dime on other trainers . That is the world we live in because they are better.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    These carry permit’s.
    Are people certified by the instructor ...
    The instructor CERTIFIES that the student passed the required training.

In regards to the Hangun Qualification License, after an applicant has completed the 4 hour course, instructors will log into their account and verify each applicant that they have instructed. In regards to the Wear and Carry Permit, after an applicant has completed either the 16 hour initial course or the 8 hour renewal course, instructors will complete the Maryland State Police Certified Qualification Score Sheet.

Attachments

• Qualification Sheet.pdf
      90 KB · Views: 36
    • Microsoft Word - LD-HPU-20-002 MSP Certified Qualification Score Sheet - LD-HPU-20-002 (Adviso...pdf
      246.2 KB · Views: 32

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Under current LAW, any QHIC instructor can simply hand out the 72 page PDF issued by MSP and tell war stories and c@ck measuring contests for 15 hours, have each student shoot 15 rounds into the designated target ans sign a 29-14 and send people on their way. (Class size 800 seats at a conference room)

Another instructor could conduct death-by-powerpoint lecture for 15 hours (or 8, 10, etc), have students fire 1,000 rounds on the firing line and sign the exact same 29-14 and be done. (Class size 1.)

The statute and regs don't define 'quality' instruction, don't specify a instructor-to-student ratio, don't specify a round count.

And we don't want-or need- regulatory specificity.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Under current LAW, any QHIC instructor can simply hand out the 72 page PDF issued by MSP and tell war stories and c@ck measuring contests for 15 hours, have each student shoot 15 rounds into the designated target ans sign a 29-14 and send people on their way. (Class size 800 seats at a conference room)

Another instructor could conduct death-by-powerpoint lecture for 15 hours (or 8, 10, etc), have students fire 1,000 rounds on the firing line and sign the exact same 29-14 and be done. (Class size 1.)

The statute and regs don't define 'quality' instruction, don't specify a instructor-to-student ratio, don't specify a round count.

And we don't want-or need- regulatory specificity.
    Legislating quality and responsibility is a fool's errand as we all know

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Legislating quality and responsibility is a fool's errand as we all know
    1710359170341.gif

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Can someone give me the latest on the bill, is it done . I seen a earlier post saying some stuff passed and maybe it will be snuck in ?

Is Tim Otwell a member here under a different handle ?
    The bill passed out of committee, the amendment we care about was removed.

But, it could be added during 2nd reader on the Senate floor.

It could be added in Committee in the House.

It could be added during 2nd or 3rd reader on the House Floor (if it gets that far)

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    I’d like to point out something not yet discussed in this thread. I am now training my teenage daughter, and I have observed many new shooters at the range. Most teenage/20 something girls would be more comfortable learning from another young girl than an older dude with a ton of credentials.

No disrespect to the older dudes with credentials, but a young girl is not going to be comfortable with an older dude standing two feet behind her constantly saying “your thumbs are wrong, you’re standing wrong, lean forward, etc”. I’m not just thinking about goal oriented training to get HQL/HGP, but continuing training to get better.

Again, no disrespect. I’m sure most of the members on here already know how to shoot. We need to think about training the next generation, and that starts with the next generation of trainers. Making it harder to become a trainer won’t help that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The bill passed out of committee, the amendment we care about was removed.

But, it could be added during 2nd reader on the Senate floor.

It could be added in Committee in the House.

It could be added during 2nd or 3rd reader on the House Floor (if it gets that far)
    How do you see it ? Is it worth sending another email to McKay

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I’d like to point out something not yet discussed in this thread. I am now training my teenage daughter, and I have observed many new shooters at the range. Most teenage/20 something girls would be more comfortable learning from another young girl than an older dude with a ton of credentials.

No disrespect to the older dudes with credentials, but a young girl is not going to be comfortable with an older dude standing two feet behind her constantly saying “your thumbs are wrong, you’re standing wrong, lean forward, etc”. I’m not just thinking about goal oriented training to get HQL/HGP, but continuing training to get better.

Again, no disrespect. I’m sure most of the members on here already know how to shoot. We need to think about training the next generation, and that starts with the next generation of trainers. Making it harder to become a trainer won’t help that.

That’s what women on target is all about.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I’d like to point out something not yet discussed in this thread.

Because it is 73 miles off topic

I am now training my teenage daughter, and I have observed many new shooters at the range. Most teenage/20 something girls would be more comfortable learning from another young girl than an older dude with a ton of credentials.
    This is why Women on Target and other Female oriented training programs exist.

The well armed woman

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Md legislation is not going to fix a bad instructor. They will make it so only people with nothing going on for a week can take a class or off duty cops with tax funded certifications have to teach the classes.

Consumer protection comes in the form of places like this calling out terrible trainers and recommending quality trainers, not legislation.
    It also comes from Instructors policing their own. Some will, some won't, and some will take an opportunity to use the lower quality trainers to improve their business and lot.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Open your "My MGA" account.

Or follow the MSI bill tracker that is painstakingly maintained to answer such questions.
    I think you quoted the wrong person. I ask Dan what he thought on how it would shake out .
    After he answered a question I ask upstream.

I am not as connected or computer savvy,

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Open your "My MGA" account.

Or follow the MSI bill tracker that is painstakingly maintained to answer such questions.

:sad20:

I think you quoted the wrong person. I ask Dan what he thought on how it would shake out .
    After he answered a question I ask upstream.

I am not as connected or computer savvy,

Always worth another email, and/or a phone call, my friend

NEVER give up!!

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

Yes! The Next Gen Trainers are exactly who the Old Guard Gatekeepers are trying to protect their turf from.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How do you see it ? Is it worth sending another email to McKay
    It's out of his hands now.
    We wait and see where/if at all, it comes back and prepare to jump on short notice (basically Same shit, different session.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom