• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I had the day off yesterday so I went up to the super secret Zombie Slayer Training Grounds located somewhere in West Virginia. Both of these weapons are recent aquisitions and are hosts for an SWR Spectre(when the tax stamp comes back)

The range:
    9163ca8b.jpg

The first, a Savage MKII FV-SR with Boyds stock and Vortex 4-12x40AO scope all purchased from 2A Sales.
    d6fa4053.jpg

50348c44.jpg

All shots were taken standing, using the bag in the photo on a chest level shooting bench at a distance of 70 yards. I am more then happy with the performance of the rifle:D

Best three round group from the Federal Target
    eb7e7a48.jpg

Best three round group from the CCI SubSonics
    87530276.jpg

Now for the GSG1911:

b85d3319.jpg

I didn't punch any paper with the GSG because shooting steel is way more fun and this thing is a blast to shoot! It had a few issues at first but after about 200 rounds it smoothed out and ran great with the occasional FTF which didn't seem to be ammo specific. It functioned well with the Federal Target, CCI SubSonics and some Remington bulk 36gr standard velocity. I was shooting at a five or six inch spinner target at 20 yards and averaged about seven out of ten hits in the standing position and nine out of ten while resting on the bench. Very pleased! Also, rapid fire is uber fun with the GSG and still very accurate. Ended up putting about 500 rounds through it.

Side note on the GSG:
    The safety for the left handed shooter fell out....no biggie, I'm a righty.

Thanks for tuning in

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    My brother just got one of these savages. His has the longer barrel non threaded. I think its 22" or maybe 24" can't remember. We took it to our secret zombie slaying training grounds deep in the woods of maryland. Where we were very impressed with the out of the box accuracy as well. Standard CCI mini mags at 100yrds were printing MOA or Sub. Inside of that range and your just shooting one hole in the target. It was great. Hes considering another one in 22WMR. I will say this though. Those 60gr SSS rounds keyhole bad. The twist is definitely not right for those rounds. Just a warning since your running a can.

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the comments guys. I couldn't be more pleased with both the Savage and the GSG. Something I noticed when shooting the Savage is it shot better when hot. The groups were better if the shots were taken within 15 seconds to a minute of each other. If the rifle sat for 5-10 minutes the first round or two were not as accurate. Is this typical?

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Thanks for the comments guys. I couldn't be more pleased with both the Savage and the GSG. Something I noticed when shooting the Savage is it shot better when hot. The groups were better if the shots were taken within 15 seconds to a minute of each other. If the rifle sat for 5-10 minutes the first round or two were not as accurate. Is this typical?

I thought that was typical if you had just cleaned the gun and still had remnants of Hoppes 9 and oil in it. Usually the first couple of rounds will be off a little if the bore is still a little "wet".

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Could be the gun, could be you. Whenever I get this performance, and can't tell if it's the gun that's warmed up or me. (Maybe both?)

I have one gun that's just the opposite: I get 3-4 accurate rounds from a cold bore, but if I don't let it cool down, after shot 10, it's an 8MoA gun :sad20:

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I thought that was typical if you had just cleaned the gun and still had remnants of Hoppes 9 and oil in it. Usually the first couple of rounds will be off a little if the bore is still a little "wet".

Yeah, a gun will shoot a little wacky for a few rounds after its cleaned but I didn't clean it at all during the day.

I'm thinking BenL is probably right about it being me. Makes sense. After walking down range to reset targets etc it probably takes a few minutes for me to get settled back in, calmed down and concentrate. Hence, the first round or two are a little off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom