• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 340's are nice accurate rifles. Everything I read is positive. I had a 340V in 225 Winchester - a long range small bore cartridge. It shot very well. The 30-30 should shoot well. My only reservation would be the 30-30 chambering would be limiting the capability of the rifle - especially if one is not a hand loader.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A .30-30 with 150 grain or 170 grain bullets will kill the hell out of most things.

And will handily kill anything in Maryland.

Very versatile gun.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    There were two of them sitting on the used rack at my LGS. It was very tempting to pick one up since I've heard they're very good shooters. I think most people ditch them because they're kinda boring and have low resale value.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    One of these tacti-cool classics will hold value.

3030.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    There were two of them sitting on the used rack at my LGS. It was very tempting to pick one up since I've heard they're very good shooters. I think most people ditch them because they're kinda boring and have low resale value.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

You're probably right about that. Plus a bolt in a lever gun caliber can be tough to sell if that ever was a desire of the owner, hence my reservations about 30-30 in a bolt gun.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I recently picked up a model 840 (later version of 340) in very good condition with a weaver scope mount for $200. Seller says it does 3-shot MOA with factory loads. We'll see.

P.S. Numrich still has mags available. I bought one and it appears to be EOM.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I had a Savage 340 Series E (E or L can't remember) for about 10 years. Killed several deer and groundhogs with it. The trigger was horrendous...even after getting it worked on by a gunsmith. It would jam every time on the second shot. I ended up selling it, but if I ever came across it again, I would buy it back for nostalgia. It didn't shoot Fed 125gr hollow points very accurate, and factory 150-170 shot OK. Reloads however, she would shoot pretty good. I blame some of the accuracy on the trigger. What are they goin for now?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have one that will hit the same bullet hole at 100 yds. with my handloads. It may be ugly compared to a lever action Winchester but, it gets the job done. My first centerfire rifle was a Savage 340 that was given to me by my father's business partner, who was an airborne ranger in Korea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom