• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beebs

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    Southern MD
    Joined Sanners lake gun club, didn't realize, shame on me, that you cannot shoot steel on the pistol range. So... I need to drive all the way to the eastern shore. Two questions, why can't you bring your own steel targets (I am aware that you can get certified to shoot on the closed range) and two, is there some place closer.. Ty all.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Joined Sanners lake gun club, didn't realize, shame on me, that you cannot shoot steel on the pistol range. So... I need to drive all the way to the eastern shore. Two questions, why can't you bring your own steel targets (I am aware that you can get certified to shoot on the closed range) and two, is there some place closer.. Ty all.
    AGC RANGE West of Baltimore. It may be worth your time, you can shoot steel for hours once you join.

Beebs

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    Southern MD
    AGC RANGE West of Baltimore. It may be worth your time, you can shoot steel for hours once you join.

Ty!

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Does Myrtle Grove allow steel?
    No. "Only paper or cardboard targets may be used."

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    Question 1 answer: Richochets
    I guess they use magic steel at their IDPA matches. If you use an AR500 steel, standard gun safety, and common sense, you don't have to worry about ricochets.

Their range, their rules for sure, but as you will see, that isn't the only one. P.S. don't speed going into the range. I've been warned about that at least half a dozen times.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    join us at sanner's lake for:

1. rimfire steel (22LR pistol and 22LR rifle) match shooting 6 stages of steel plates in the pits from March-October last Sunday of the month.
    2. tactical shotgun match shooting 5 stages of steel targets & clays 3 times a year in the pits.

check the 2024 calendar for dates on the sanner's website.

Beebs

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2024
    Southern MD
    Ty. I'm aware. Im just looking to plink. Not really interested in anything competitive. I appreciate the options.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    i
    Ty. I'm aware. Im just looking to plink. Not really interested in anything competitive. I appreciate the options.
    i hate the word "competition" too. tell you this, come out and watch one first to see if it interests you. i think you'll like rimfire steel. its just a bunch of folks (and kids too) shooting 22LR pistols and rifles and having fun.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    I only have 9mm. Guess it's time to buy a 22 lol. Had my eye on the ruger mark IV. Much appreciated.
    and a 22 rifle too.

if you're into blondes, then take a look at this one. i just got one for myself.

and no need to "buy" if you want to try it out. mary & i have plenty of 22 pistols & rifles to use to shoot the match. first match is free too so no investment other than bringing around 250 rounds of 22LR

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    join us at sanner's lake for:

This type of thing is common at Clubs . That is certain things are permitted at matches / organized events , but not for random members , shooting on their own .

The thought process is usually along the lines of :

XYZ can be tricky , and must be done with care to be safe / not have undesirable outcomes . If we have XYZ taking place with a Match/ Event Director, and Range Officers setting up and supervising , we can be reasonably confident it would be safe / within desired guidelines. With individual members not so much . ( Just reporting & translating, don't shoot the messenger .)

I totally get the joys of doing your thing on your own , by yourself. But laid back club matches / events * can * often be friendly with emphasis on fun , rather than cut throat competition. Give it a try , and see if that is more enjoyable than not doing it .

Meanwhile , I"m not up to date on current range rules at Sanners , so if someone can share :

What about the various high tech polymer reactive targets . Zero ricochet, yet provides visual feedback much like steel.

Are they allowed for individual members ?

If not , it's ripe for someone to petition the Board/ Range Committee / or whichever relevant powers that be .

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    i

i hate the word "competition" too. tell you this, come out and watch one first to see if it interests you. i think you'll like rimfire steel. its just a bunch of folks (and kids too) shooting 22LR pistols and rifles and having fun.
    Joe is right, the matches are super laid back and a lot of fun. Overall great people. If you don't care about score, it's just plinking but you getting shoot at steel too. Win win.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    Meanwhile , I"m not up to date on current range rules at Sanners , so if someone can share :

What about the various high tech polymer reactive targets . Zero ricochet, yet provides visual feedback much like steel.

Are they allowed for individual members ?
    i believe the only targets allowed on the pistol bullseye range or the rifle range are "paper" targets (which includes cardboard) properly affixed to the provided target stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom