• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    That's a good price. I bought two sealed battle packs of Portuguese for $0.50/round last year at a show and thought that was a good deal.

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    Stupid berdan primers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I have the tools to do so anyhow, but it's my understanding that you can reload Berdan brass. Its a more involved process, necessitates special tools and the right sized primer (of which there are many) but it can be done and there are many people who do. Graf's even sells some Berdan primers.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Not that I have the tools to do so anyhow, but it's my understanding that you can reload Berdan brass. Its a more involved process, necessitates special tools and the right sized primer (of which there are many) but it can be done and there are many people who do. Graf's even sells some Berdan primers.

IMHO the only reason to reload Berdan brass, unless you have unlimited time to spend at the reloading bench, is for exotic calibers where boxer primed brass is not readily available. Many like myself have buckets of once fired brass.

The advantage of this ammo is, buy it cheap, fire it and let the brass lay or throw it in the brass bucket for recycling.

Years ago Widners had this brass available as primmed brass. I reloaded a few thousand cases with match bullets, with good results. BUT I used the existing live primer, weighed powder and added a SMK and shot. Fired brass went into a brass bucket, which will bring you about $60 for a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the caliber.

Good luck

Jerry

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    IMHO the only reason to reload Berdan brass, unless you have unlimited time to spend at the reloading bench, is for exotic calibers where boxer primed brass is not readily available. Many like myself have buckets of once fired brass.

The advantage of this ammo is, buy it cheap, fire it and let the brass lay or throw it in the brass bucket for recycling.

Years ago Widners had this brass available as primmed brass. I reloaded a few thousand cases with match bullets, with good results. BUT I used the existing live primer, weighed powder and added a SMK and shot. Fired brass went into a brass bucket, which will bring you about $60 for a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the caliber.

Good luck

Jerry

Interesting, I never even thought about keeping the brass that couldn't be reloaded. 60 bucks in my pocket is better than leaving it for the range to cash in.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I bought a bunch of this stuff from Samco about 4 or 5 years ago. About 1/3 was corroded, 1/3 was tarnished, and 1/3 was great. The battle packs were sealed but compromised in some way that ruined some of the ammo and left the rest ok.

Just something to think about, even at that price. Maybe this will be a better batch. Good luck.

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    Apparently the corrosion/tarnish is due to the acidic cardboard used to pack several lots of this ammo. I'm sure thats why the Portuguese got rid of it.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I bought a bunch of this stuff from Samco about 4 or 5 years ago. About 1/3 was corroded, 1/3 was tarnished, and 1/3 was great. The battle packs were sealed but compromised in some way that ruined some of the ammo and left the rest ok.

Just something to think about, even at that price. Maybe this will be a better batch. Good luck.

Thanks for the good advice, so was 2/3 of it shoot able? More? Less? I'm about to pull the trigger on 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it has green or brown discoloration, it can be used.

If it has pink corrosion, DO NOT FIRE IT.

There are some pictures only when someone cut apart a case with pink corrosion, and it had eaten THROUGH THE CASE WALL.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013

There are some pictures only when someone cut apart a case with pink corrosion, and it had eaten THROUGH THE CASE WALL.

Thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Anyone have a shipping quote to MD from them? I'm nervous buying and finding out shipping is a ton.

Think I'm about ready to pull the trigger though. I need some junk ammo to get my RFB's gas system dialed in. I've destroyed two boxes of Federal brass already...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You got them to ship to Montgomery County? They still say on their site they won't do it.
    They just tried to deny me. I have responded with the PDF of the BATFE manual showing that our specific regulation was invalidated in a court case. We'll see if I can change their minds. This should really be a no-brainer.

Note that the manual DOES NOT show Annapolis as invalidated, even though they are. *shrugs*

Worst case scenario, I'll have them ship it to my folks in Baltimore County.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD

Agree on the brown/black discoloration. However, some of the green-ish corrosion rounds were to the point where the case was slightly bulged and I would not want to try to chamber it, much less shoot it. If you disagree, I am glad to give you the rounds I won't use. I know I was pretty picky as I sorted but I didn't think it worth the worry. I'll go take a few pics and post them in a bit.

Heck, if you are looking for cheap 308/7.62, I have 900 rounds of corrosive Sellier and Bellot on the shelf I got a few years ago that I would sell for a good price. Didn't realize it was corrosive when I bought it and it is not worth the hassle to me.

More in a bit.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    The Good Stuff - again, about 2/3 of the case (some tarnished but fine)
    Goodport_zpsc9598b4b.jpg

The Corroded Stuff - about 1/3 of the case
    Corrodedport_zpsc6f1293e.jpg

The Pink Corrosion mentioned
    Pinkcorrosionport_zpsae5a334c.jpg

And the S&B stuff that is cheaper but corrosive. Is corrosive better than corroded?
    SampBammo_zpsb8e170c8.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    However, some of the green-ish corrosion rounds were to the point where the case was slightly bulged and I would not want to try to chamber it, much less shoot it.

If bulged, I agree, it is NOT usable.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Corroded Stuff - about 1/3 of the case
    Corrodedport_zpsc6f1293e.jpg

The Pink Corrosion mentioned
    Pinkcorrosionport_zpsae5a334c.jpg

And the S&B stuff that is cheaper but corrosive. Is corrosive better than corroded?

I would try to remove the corrosion with some steel or bronze wool, or tumble the rounds, or both. I do notice that the ad says that the rounds have been tumbled, so I wonder if they took care of ones like these.

Yeap, that is the nasty pink corrosion, those are toast.

I prefer non-corrosive, but it depends on the final price. Taking into account those rounds that are not usable.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I should try the steel wool - I don't have a tumbler. I got both sets pretty cheap years ago before prices went up - probably $0.30 a round or less. So it wasn't a terrible loss. But still frustrating because good ammo was also pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom