• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    One of the things that makes me sick about purchasing guns is how much money the state makes off the transaction (sales tax) which they then use to strip us of our 2A rights.

Buying firearms online from out of state vendors means that you don't pay the sales tax (although I believe the buyer is obligated to send 6% to the state as a "use tax", although I doubt even a single person in MD including Franchot is dumb enough to have ever done this).

Yet, this sales tax loophole makes it harder for local dealers which deserve our support (and even tirelessly advocate for our 2A rights) to compete with online sellers like Clyde Armory. This is at least the case when the xfer fee is less than sales tax would have been.

Not really making a point, just rambling about the screwy incentives our government overlords have placed upon us.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    For most purchases, the Transfer fee+ shipping are about the difference between online and a local shop prices. So the way I go about buying is; I check with local shops and if they have it I purchase from them. If I can't find it locally, I buy online and don't mind paying 60 dollars for a Transfer Fee, I get most of it back with the tax savings.
    Except for a few FFl's who charge 100+ for a transfer, I think this is reasonable, under normal circumstances. Lately with shops having to keep track of guns for 45+ days waiting on MSP, I can see their lack of interest in transfers and maybe a "surcharge". So I guess what I am saying is the sales tax break
    actually helps local shops. Imagine if you had to pay 60 FFl Fee+ 30 Shipping + 35-50 in sales Tax for and out of state purchase. If I were an FFL I wouldn't mind doing 100 $60 transfers a month, especially in times like this when stock is hard to get.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    For most purchases, the Transfer fee+ shipping are about the difference between online and a local shop prices.

I have not found this to be the case. The several guns I bought online were significantly less then buying them locally. I usually get free shipping and pay a $25 transfer fee which is less then the tax would be.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have not found this to be the case. The several guns I bought online were significantly less then buying them locally. I usually get free shipping and pay a $25 transfer fee which is less then the tax would be.

I suppose it depends on who you're buying from. I've always found that 2A Sales prices their products VERY competitively with online pricing. Mark can usually get anything that I want (given time) if he doesn't have it in stock; so except for receivers and such, I tend to buy mostly there. I look at the transfer fee as the price of doing business. Besides, they've really taken care of me at 2A, I have no problem supporting them whenever possible.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I suppose it depends on who you're buying from. I've always found that 2A Sales prices their products VERY competitively with online pricing. Mark can usually get anything that I want (given time) if he doesn't have it in stock; so except for receivers and such, I tend to buy mostly there. I look at the transfer fee as the price of doing business. Besides, they've really taken care of me at 2A, I have no problem supporting them whenever possible.

+1
    Big fan of 2A Sales!

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    number three for 2a. they have beat buds+transfer on a couple of guns i have bought. try getting an XD-s for less than $550 online with shipping and x-fer. I always buy local when i can, but these days, they just don't have what i'm looking for. can't wait for the good ol days to be back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom